Refurbishing drift boat, input needed!

P
Pni_fisherdude
EOBOY said:
what! He doesn't like Donkey Kong? Nice paint job!
Ya he complains about that too. The wrap was on it when we bought the boat and decided to keep it on.

But he will still float down a river in it, so I guess he can't think it's that bad.

P
pinstriper
EOBOY said:
you should see the horse!

Isn’t that the horse you made on the Traeger ?

Artwo
Artwo
O. mykiss said:
I thought about that also. I’m not going to roll the liner on where there is a wooden floor. Only the exposed portions. A can of herkuliner weighs it at 13 lbs wet. So after curing, it’s a negligible addition that shouldn’t effect the boat too much.

The thing I'd be worried about with the bedliner is adhesion. You'll need to etch or rough up the surface for it to adhere to or it will just peel off..............

Reactions: O. mykiss
Casting Call
Casting Call
Use 1- part epoxy garage floor coating with extra sand for the inside floor. Tony

EOBOY
EOBOY
my2labs said:
@ EOBOY and Jamisonace:

I just shook hands on a new to me willy that Ill be picking up next week. It requires a new bottom coat.

EOBOY.... hows Wetlander holding up after a couple months?

Jamisonace.... did you do it yet? If so, what do you think?

After 2 years it still looks like the day we put it on

Reactions: my2labs
P
pinstriper
EOBOY said:
After 2 years it still looks like the day we put it on

Is that because you never use it ?

Dammit, we need to go fishing !

EOBOY
EOBOY
pinstriper said:
Is that because you never use it ?

Dammit, we need to go fishing !

Used it plenty last summer you just don't like Bass fishing, I thought we were, then you didn't text back! I've been playing VR HyperDash, think I'm addicted to it.:alien:

P
pinstriper
EOBOY said:
Used it plenty last summer you just don't like Bass fishing, I thought we were, then you didn't text back! I've been playing VR HyperDash, think I'm addicted to it.:alien:

Actually, I have a bulging disc in my neck that has been troubling me for some time and cutting into my activities.

But I would fish for bass just to get out with you.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Hooked Up and my2labs
jamisonace
jamisonace
I haven't put it on but I've heard nothing but good reviews about wetlander.

My boat needs it bad. I'll probably do it in May or June.

Reactions: my2labs
P
Pni_fisherdude
You definitely want to wait for warmer weather to apply it as it takes like a week to cure in warmer weather. This summer will be the 2 year mark for my drift boat and I think I will reapply only because I want to keep a good coat on there. We float a lot of low rivers and have pushed over a lot of rocks and it is holding up well.

The best part about wetlander (in my opinion) is when it comes to re-coating it, all you need to do is sand it, clean it and roll it on. As opposed to other materials that require complete removal down to bare metal again.

my2labs
my2labs
pinstriper said:
Actually, I have a bulging disc in my neck that has been troubling me for some time and cutting into my activities.

Take care of that neck!

Pni_fisherdude said:
You definitely want to wait for warmer weather to apply it as it takes like a week to cure in warmer weather. This summer will be the 2 year mark for my drift boat and I think I will reapply only because I want to keep a good coat on there. We float a lot of low rivers and have pushed over a lot of rocks and it is holding up well.

The best part about wetlander (in my opinion) is when it comes to re-coating it, all you need to do is sand it, clean it and roll it on. As opposed to other materials that require complete removal down to bare metal again.
I assume there are temperature parameters on the can....?
I will definitely wait for the time to be right.

The previous gluvit is basically gone so removal will be easy this time, and I also like that I won’t have to remove the base every year using wetlander. Hear it’s pretty darn slick too.

really looking forward to my new boat. Hard to let go of my first drifter, but it’s a bit small and heavy. Great starter boat. Now that I’m hooked though, it is time for an upgrade.

P
Pni_fisherdude
Ya I believe there are directions that come with as well as on the website. This stuff is super slick. Make sure you have someone holding the bow line when you disconnect the winch hook, cuz that boat will not wait for permission to get in the water.

Reactions: freednog
EOBOY
EOBOY
Pni_fisherdude said:
Ya I believe there are directions that come with as well as on the website. This stuff is super slick. Make sure you have someone holding the bow line when you disconnect the winch hook, cuz that boat will not wait for permission to get in the water.

Ain't that the truth! The first time I let mine go I almost died when the whench handle started unwinding.:eek:

Reactions: Hooked Up
my2labs
my2labs
EOBOY said:
Ain't that the truth! The first time I let mine go I almost died when the whench handle started unwinding.:eek:
This is exactly what I want to hear. I’m moving from fiberglass to aluminum and want the bottom as slick as possible. Thanks everyone!

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
pinstriper said:

Sorry to hear about your neck Mark.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Pni_fisherdude said:

I'm not due yet but would consider Wetlander. I've got Coat It on now and am not really impressed. Hopefully Wetlander will adhere to the Coat it.

my2labs
my2labs
Hooked Up said:
I'm not due yet but would consider Wetlander. I've got Coat It on now and am not really impressed. Hopefully Wetlander will adhere to the Coat it.
you’ll get a feel for it when we slide over rocks battling fish once the temperature heats up enough for me to apply it. (And after I pick up the Willie)

Reactions: Hooked Up
P
Pni_fisherdude
You do not want to apply the wetlander on top of the coat it. You need to remove all of the old coat before applying the wetlander. We used a torch for burning weeds in your lawn to soften the old coat. It made it a lot easier to remove. Wetlander will not adhere to any other coating properly and will not work the way it is supposed too.

Reactions: jamisonace
Hooked Up
Hooked Up
my2labs said:
you’ll get a feel for it when we slide over rocks battling fish once the temperature heats up enough for me to apply it. (And after I pick up the Willie)
Looking forward to it.