Reel specs for steelhead from the bank

Fummus
Fummus
I'm looking at putting together a rig for steelhead from the bank. When it comes to reels, does anyone have any thoughts in regards to Gear Ratio, Ball Bearings (number or composition), Max Drag, and Line Capacity? At this point most likely going to go with a spinning reel as can't really afford to drop $$ on bait-casting at this point just to see if I like it.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
C_Run
C_Run
I used Shimano Sedona in the 3000 size and upgraded eventually to their Stradic which is more expensive They both have been pretty ideal as far as I am concerned. Sorry I don't know the specs for ration, line capacity, etc.

Reactions: Admin
nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
If you want fast retrieve in order to make more casts, or retrieve certain lures, anything above 6.1:1 is high speed for spinning reels. If that doesn't concern you, there isn't any need to mind the numbers.

The more the bearings, generally the smoother the operation. It all depends on where the bearings are located. For example, a Daiwa Regal, known for being a super smooth 10 bearing reel for only $60, has two stacked bearings on the mainshaft that have no obvious use aside from smoother drag.
However if you get a reel that has 6 or more bearings, you will generally have smooth and quiet operation.

Reel companies sometimes overkill on the max drag. There is absolutley no need for drag heavier than 10-15lb, and even that is way up there. If you lock up a spinning reel at 10lb and the line holds, you're most likely going to break the reel's line roller system or bail. Most of the time, the larger the reel size, the heavier the max drag. On average you will find 10-20 lb max drag.

In terms of line capacity, look to others on that. I do not go out for steelhead often, so simply put make sure you have enough spool size to hold approx 200yd of needed line.

Reactions: Admin
Fummus
Fummus
Thank you for the information gentlemen. Was able to get the specs for the Sedona 3000 from the Shimano site. 3+1 bearings, 6.2:1 gear ration, 36 inch per crank retrieval rate, max drag of 20lbs, and line capacity of 6/230, 8/170, 10/140 for mono and 20/140, 40/105 for Powerpro braid. So, looks like a little over on the drag and a bit under on line capacity by Nikita's numbers, but C_Run's hands on experience with them and the price point definitely keeps them in the viable option category. Thanks again.

S
Snopro
nikita_pdx said:
I do not go out for steelhead often, so simply put make sure you have enough spool size to hold approx 200yd of needed line.
That's going to be a 5000 sized reel for 30lb braid, a bit much for Oregon steelhead. I think most steelheaders use 2500 or 3000 sized spinning reels. Maybe 4000 if your river is known for really large fish.

freednog
freednog
I have a 4000 series and it's just a beast. I've switched to 2500 for steelhead and 3000 for steelhead/salmon setups. Much easier to fish with for a full day. I don't think you need 200yds. What you can fit on a 2500 sized reel is adequate.

Reactions: Snopro
Grant22
Grant22
Fummus said:
So, as mentioned in another post, I'm looking at putting together a rig for steelhead from the bank. When it comes to reels, does anyone have any thoughts in regards to Gear Ratio, Ball Bearings (number or composition), Max Drag, and Line Capacity? At this point most likely going to go with a spinning reel as can't really afford to drop $$ on bait-casting at this point just to see if I like it.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Shimano Sedona and Okuma Ceymar are both really good options.

hobster
hobster
freednog said:
I have a 4000 series and it's just a beast. I've switched to 2500 for steelhead and 3000 for steelhead/salmon setups. Much easier to fish with for a full day. I don't think you need 200yds. What you can fit on a 2500 sized reel is adequate.
Yup, agree 100%, did the same with my 4000. Way more than you need for steel, 2500 is perfect, at least with braid. I have a couple of Shimano Sahara’s that are tanks and have lasted me many years.

C
Chrisd1990
Penn pursuit 2 or 3 in a 4000 size is the perfect reel in my opinion. I spool it with 50lb braid and have never had issues running out of line. I use them all year for everything from coastal coho to spring chinook and steelhead. Drift fishing, bobbers, spinners, spoons, all of it. They run anywhere from $50-70 if I remember right.