Reel question??

B
Brian Dupree
okay so I am buying a new rod (just For bobber fishing) anyone have any advice on what reel I should buy. It will be used for primarly salmon fishing and winter steelies. So a medium / maybe medium heavy is what I am looking for. I don't want to spend more that about $100.00. Thanks everyone.

K
Kodiak
Abbu garcia 6501 C3.

B
Brian Dupree
I did a quick search on google and that looks like a bait casting reel. I am set on on getting a spinning set up. Thanks though.

A
Anyfishisfine
I have the old-school 5501 C3 that I use for float fishing. It's been solid over the years landing big catfish back east, and a salmon here. When it dies I'll replace it with the 6501 C3. Can't go wrong with it.

A
Anyfishisfine
Brian Dupree said:
I did a quick search on google and that looks like a bait casting reel. I am set on on getting a spinning set up. Thanks though.

I just bought a Shimano Solstace 2500FI. They run about $40-$50 and I'm pretty happy with it too.

K
Kodiak
Brian Dupree said:

For the big fall fish your gonna want the drag system and casting distance that only a solid bait caster can give.

C
CNeal
Plus the bait caster is more fun. Makes a cool sound, retrieves quick, I have 2 Abu's, one 5501 and one 6501, best reels I've had.

A
Airs98
Abu vs Shimano

Abu vs Shimano

Speaking of reels ... :)
I was wondering if you guys can recommend a baitcaster for a beginner. I have been only using spinning reels in my 3 years of fishing. I heard Shimano makes very good reels and they are "easier" to get started with. Also, would you recommend a left or right handed reel for steelhead/salmon fishing here in the NW? I am right handed.

K
Kodiak
Airs, My first bait caster was a an old abu 5000 ( the red one)...I still have it....It's got over 3000 salmon and steelhead on it. I love shimano's but consider them more advanced than a Abu. The controlls on an Abu are simple, and have raw horse power, and as you get better and train your thumb youll be able to throw about 40, 50 yrds on average, no problem. the 6501 c3 is a left hand retrieve, and this is one of the few markets in the country where left retrieve is considered a bonus! The chinook, coho and steelhead can produce such thrust that the added strength of your dominate hand is more comfortable and makes handeling larger stronger fish easier.

F
FishSchooler
Kodiak said:
Airs, My first bait caster was a an old abu 5000 ( the red one)...I still have it....It's got over 3000 salmon and steelhead on it. I love shimano's but consider them more advanced than a Abu. The controlls on an Abu are simple, and have raw horse power, and as you get better and train your thumb youll be able to throw about 40, 50 yrds on average, no problem. the 6501 c3 is a left hand retrieve, and this is one of the few markets in the country where left retrieve is considered a bonus! The chinook, coho and steelhead can produce such thrust that the added strength of your dominate hand is more comfortable and makes handeling larger stronger fish easier.

I have the 6500, and its a right hand retrieve :cool:

N
ninja2010
airs:

shimano makes really good round baitcasters. but abu came out with the revo line of low profile reels and these are totally awesome - very lightweight, casts light weights very well and the drag is unmatched (24 lbs).

as far as right or left retrieve... if you're like me, i like to use my strong arm to control the rod, so i have a left handed retrieve. another advantage is, after you cast, you can start reeling immediately without having to switch hands.

for steelhead fishing, in most cases you'd be throwing light weights and you need good line control as well as a powerful drag (when needed). i highly recommend the abu revo. their low end revo 's' is a good starter.

S
steelhead_stalkers
If you are going for a spinning I would say the Shimano Saros is one of the best for the money! Many top end features for much less. Baitcasting I have been using the new curado and have no complaints from it.

Reactions: Brian Dupree
A
A_J-Llama
I like the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur D5 model baitcaster, I have it in both the 5600 and 6600, : 5 BallBearings , Smart Mag, 5.3:1 retrieve ratio, 205/yds(5600) 245/yds(6600) 12#test, 8.9 oz/9.3 oz, anti-reverse, and thumb-bar release and more. Both retail just over $100 but got both mine new on Ebay for about half that. These are rock solid and smooth as silk, made in Sweden, just what you would expect from Abu :clap::clap::clap:

B
Brian Dupree
Thanks Everyone! Great now I have to buy 2 or 3 reels....lol
P.S. Going down to the Salmon River next weekend. Probably fish tide water, well unless the rain keeps up ( think wet ):)

G
GDBrown
Choosing the right reel!

Choosing the right reel!

Brian Dupree said:
Thanks Everyone! Great now I have to buy 2 or 3 reels....lol
P.S. Going down to the Salmon River next weekend. Probably fish tide water, well unless the rain keeps up ( think wet ):)

I strongly suggest that you buy the rod and reel at the same time. That way you are sure they are a match for each other. If you are bobber fishing for fall salmon on the coastal rivers you may be into a 50 lbs'er! That's a lot of fish.

Personally I have found one of the best places to get a rod is the sporting goods store in Tillamook. I can't remember the name for sure, but the buy their rods by the trailer full and have them private labeled. They are guaranteed "no questions asked" I broke one of mine on the river and they just picked out a new one and said, Sorry about that!

A
Airs98
Thanks!!!

Thanks!!!

A lot of good info on reels. Thank you guys very much. Really appreciate it!