Reel gears slip

S
Shadelady
not sure if i am posting in the correct place, sorry if i missed. i have a couple of reels that when i have much stress at all on them the reel slips when cranking.is there a way to fix this, and which part of the reel do i need to take a part? any info is helpful. the reels are older Shakespeare Alpha's they are what i use on the cliff at Boiler Bay, so they do some work- not because the fish are huge or big fighters, but because of the cliff.

thanks again.

F
fishnquest
If its not just a drag issue, maybe time for a new reel:think:

F
fish_4_all
It could be that the disengage is not completely releasing and not allowing the gears to completely engage together. My best advice is to completely clean them out with some good soap and water, re GREASE them and then oil where needed. I had this problem with one of my baitcasters. I actually wore the disengage down because of not taking care of it right. Remember to rinse them out after salt water use. Older reels and even new ones will be damaged rather easily when the salt solidifies and starts to grind away at gears and parts. Not to mention the breaking down of the grease by the salty water.

Of course if they are spinning reels then I suspect it is time to get new reels.

S
Shadelady
ok, sounds like they are all going to be taken apart and i can see whats what. they are spinning reels. i think i'll mark them for my winter projects.

F
fish_4_all
I took apart an old spinning reel I have and saw somethings that might help.
First, it can also become gummed up and prevent the gears from turning correctly.
Also, where the reel is screwed into the gearing can become loose or have buildup on it that can prevent it from making proper contact.
Unfortunately the gears and the rods they are on can also become loose and worn and basically render them useless which is what happened to mine. The main rod that goes through the large gear in the reel has become loose and short of welding it I don't know how I would fix it.

Once you get them apart let us know if you see and sloppy play in the gears and/or the shafts and maybe we can help figure out what is wrong.