reel advice

G
Grant23
looking for a new low profile casting reel for steelhead drift fishing for around $50 give or take. I am considering the Abu max, Daiwa Megacast ($60 on sale) Okuma, Quantum and Shimano. Any advice or thoughts- if you have used these what do you suggest? also I have never used a roundhouse reel - but am open to it, so if you think this is a better way to go please let me know. Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K
Kodiak
he He

he He

I've got a curado and it is my favorite reel of all time, but not gonna make it into the $60 range. I would try the Abu Max next. I have heard good things about it. Oh, my bad, Welcome to OFF!

M
Mike123
I have a Pflueger Trion and really love it! good drag for steelies and casts real light weight like a dream. I think you could find one for about $85-95.... Maybe a Daiwa Procaster may be a good choice? About $75.

It's way worth it to get a good bait casting reel!!
I have bought cheaper ones and I just threw them away...
If I had the money i would own a few Curado's.. they are nice.
I think Shimano is a little over priced but their stuff is really good quality!!

K
Kodiak
No way!

No way!

spendy ...sure, but worth every penny. Over 100 steelies/coho and still solid as a rock. It will throw an 1/8th OZ jig for a mile, will handle heavier weights also. Smooth as a baby's backside!

B
BobberDown
ya curado i have had 2 bsf for about 5 years and never had any problems have put hundreds of hours on them and who knows how many fish i did jus get a new on it is the curado 201e7 i love it i have never useda smother reelbut it does come with a little more priceat like 155 but well worth it you have to ask your self do i wantto spend 50 every year or to on a sheep reel or 150 once on a cadilac good luck Dan

G
Grant23
I would love to be able to buy the heigher end models - but just cannot afford it. Any Ideas on the lower price range? or a round reel?

O
OneMore
On a round reel I would stick with Abu. Im sure if you look for sales you can find one in your price range. I too have a trion and have yet to get it used. When your brother asks you "can I see the brake system" Dont show him. He will drop the side plate in 20 feet of water. One thing I will say is its hard to find pflueger parts and when you do its way over priced.

B
BobberDown
go whith the abu if you want a round reel but you could alway look around for a used reel on crages list or ebay i botsome reels off of ebay they where fine and you can get them for about half the price if you watch for them good luck Dan

G
Grant23
Thanks for responses
Does anybody have info on drag power for steelies, or casting weight issues (small jigs to 1.25 ounces of slinky - to much wear and tear? just fine?) Line retreval amounts? or casting distance?

Also I am curious about roundhouse reels - my biggest concern is that they do not have the magnetic casting control - or do they???? I HATE birdsnests!!! does the round reel afford further casting and more power?

thanks again i appreciate all your help

M
Mike123
Grant23 said:
Thanks for responses
Does anybody have info on drag power for steelies, or casting weight issues (small jigs to 1.25 ounces of slinky - to much wear and tear? just fine?) Line retreval amounts? or casting distance?

Also I am curious about roundhouse reels - my biggest concern is that they do not have the magnetic casting control - or do they???? I HATE birdsnests!!! does the round reel afford further casting and more power?

thanks again i appreciate all your help

I will say this is my opinion... but the Abu "round style" reels have CRAP drags for steelhead and they wont cast light weights.. Def go with one of the Abu Max's if your gonna go Abu. The drags get very "sticky" and when a fish runs it seems the line comes off in spurts. Not good. I own 3 Abu Garcia's and all of them need new drag washers and all they are good for, to me, are casting big weights for bobber fishing salmon. .02

A
ArcticAmoeba
Grant, you will need less than 12 pounds of drag force to stop a Steelhead with shoulders. So any of the reels out there in your price range should fit the bill. Use your thumb too for extra drag when you hook-up. I rallied well over 350 fish on an old, old Abu 6001C last fall for Coho, and the last 100 fish were all finger drag fish. And if you are casting 1.25 oz. of slinky, just be ready to get snagged if it isn't under a float, but any reel should cast that much weight well, and if the brake is set, it should not wear out the reels internals any faster. The Abu Max will cast a couple small split shot well enough for most folks out there. If you end up with that one, next reel, try to find a Revo for cheap on EBay. They will cast two number 7 split shot clear across the Clackamas if the brakes are set properly. Good luck finding a reel man. There are lots out there.

A
Alaskan Assassin
Go with a Shimano man!! Curado is a great one. The key difference is the solid piece of aluminum used in shimano's as apposed to the less robust construction of Abu Garcia. Having worked at Mt. View Sports in AK for the past 8 summers I can only recommend Shimano!! They are built to last and its worth the investment. Ive seen too many Abu's sent back to the factory.

G
Grant23
wow these are all great responses with lots of good info!!!
What are the main differences between low profile and round reel.
would 12lbs of drag also work for coho? how much for the average chinook?

Also I mainly drift fish for steelhead (I use a spining set up for floats) is low profile the way to go or should I really consider a round reel?

A
ArcticAmoeba
The biggest difference between a lo-pro and a big round reel, is application, and size. Some roundies can be used to drift fish for sure, but a lo-pro unit is easier to palm up on, and it wastes less transmitted energy. In other words, it will up the sensitivity of your stick over a big round unit. Which is a giagantic advantage drift fishing. Like I said before. I used a reel that had almost no drag washers left, for the heaviest Coho we have seen for years. 12 pounds is fine for the Coho, and Steelhead in the tribs. Chinook tend to dig a llittle harder, but I also hook 'em on 1500 size spinning reels in the Clackamas. It is all how you play the fish. The reel is just there to neatly store line, and project your gear out into the water. If you find yourself hooked to a big nasty Tule, or a big shouldered fish, the finger drag method is key. I have used a few Revo's for Sailfish, and I used one of the Revo Toros for prop wash Marlin on a couple trips too. They all have 24 pound drags, and they can stop a friggin freight train. It is weird to know that you can turn a 350 pound Sail by lifting on it and sweeping to one side or the other. Get one of the Lo-Pro's for bank drifting for sure. Stay in your budget, and look around. Brand is not an issue until you start getting seriuos about this stuff. So find one that has all the features you want, feels good, and hell, even looks half decent on your rod. But I like to find a rod similar to the one I use at the store, take it up to the counter, and put the reel on a full stick, instead of just feelin 'em, while mounted on those short handles they stick into the wall. It will give you an idea of balance, at very least. Again, good luck in the caster hunt. You will find somethin you like.

A
ArcticAmoeba
The biggest difference between a lo-pro and a big round reel, is application, and size. Some roundies can be used to drift fish for sure, but a lo-pro unit is easier to palm up on, and it wastes less transmitted energy. In other words, it will up the sensitivity of your stick over a big round unit. Which is a giagantic advantage drift fishing. Like I said before. I used a reel that had almost no drag washers left, for the heaviest Coho we have seen for years. 12 pounds is fine for the Coho, and Steelhead in the tribs. Chinook tend to dig a llittle harder, but I also hook 'em on 1500 size spinning reels in the Clackamas. It is all how you play the fish. The reel is just there to neatly store line, and project your gear out into the water. If you find yourself hooked to a big nasty Tule, or a big shouldered fish, the finger drag method is key. I have used a few Revo's for Sailfish, and I used one of the Revo Toros for prop wash Marlin on a couple trips too. They all have 24 pound drags, and they can stop a friggin freight train. It is weird to know that you can turn a 350 pound Sail by lifting on it and sweeping to one side or the other. Get one of the Lo-Pro's for bank drifting for sure. Stay in your budget, and look around. Brand is not an issue until you start getting seriuos about this stuff. So find one that has all the features you want, feels good, and hell, even looks half decent on your rod. But I like to find a rod similar to the one I use at the store, take it up to the counter, and put the reel on a full stick, instead of just feelin 'em, while mounted on those short handles they stick into the wall. It will give you an idea of balance, at very least. Again, good luck in the caster hunt. You will find somethin you like.

G
Grant23
Thanks, I am going low pro. so far I have found some in the price range 50-60. they are the Abu max, Daiwa Megacaster (w twitch bar) Quantum response or escalade, Okuma stratus, or virage. and One from SHimano that was $50 at Cabellas. do any of these have any particular advantage for drifting for steel/coho over others. What about line capacity.

Also I knoticed that some stores - bass pro / cabellas carry a line of reels with their name on them for a lower price - any thoughts?

C
Chedster
I was in the same boat as you and was going to grab a nice pole and cheaper reel. Ended up the opposite in the end. Got a new curado and picked up a Berkley IM7 at joes for fourty bucks. Seems as it will do just fine. I figured the reel will last me forever if I take care of it. Spendy but worth it in the long run.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Grant, the lo-pro Cabelas reels are very nice. A buddy of mine has put multiple hundreds on each of his. Never gets any attention, and they still dominate the britches off of the Clack fish... Always gets abused on giant fish, and he has never split the cases to work on 'em. I think they are pretty nice little reels. Although they will not cast quite as far as the Abu Max, and the Daiwa. The twitch bar is actually nice for picking up slack when float fishing, and you get a bobber down. A friend uses it for just that purpose, Float fishin. Just use small diameter stop knot material if you do run a float with it. Line cap. of 100 yards is plenty for the Sandy, abnd Clackamas for sure. But there are ways to get around low capacities. Like braids for instance, or running heavy mono(20+) as opposed to light(less than 12). The extra strength will stop most fish in their tracks, but then again that is just no fun! Haha. All are decent choices for sure. Now it is time to get your hands on the ones available at your local sporting goods retailer. Trust me on the Cabelas reels, they are great for a cheap reel, but don't have the superior casting of the Abu's, and that MegaForce thing.

G
Grant23
Thank you all for the input I really appreciate it. I hope to meet you all seen on the river - hopefully I will have a new reel to break in!!!!!
What a great forum!!!!!!!!!

H
Hawk
I figger a big part of it is practice. Since 1988 i've used part of the time / my Abu/Garcia 6500c fer Striped Bass/LMB/SMB/catfish. i slow/stop the spool with my left thumb. i have very few backlashes/birdsnests......................:D:D

Happy fishin'.......................:)