Red colors for coho

W

wormosa

i see a lot of people using red lures, is there something to this or was there a surplus at the store and were cheap lol

M

metalmania

i see a lot of people using red lures, is there something to this or was there a surplus at the store and were cheap lol

Red is an awesome color in lower water temps, especially for coho. Red and brass has been the best on the sandy for me. Red is also great for steel's and cooler water chinook.

S

steelhead_stalkers

Red jigs have worked well for coho too, I think its a great color for all species actually! :)

Red yarn, red jigs, red spinners, red spoons, red roe! LOL

F

FishFinger

Red has for years been what I've always considered a go to colour especially for the Sandy and it turbid water for both Coho and Steeelhead. Well, not just red but florescent orange/ red rather than simple "flat" red; which at depth or in "green stained waters actually appears black not red.

Chartreuse, seems to be a Nookie colouration but I have seen peeps use it with personal success.

I was told " The best colour to use, is the colour your most confident fishing with".

W

wormosa

i talked to some other people on the river today and was told they are catching coho's with the bigger warts, any you guys heard this as well?

A

Anyfishisfine

I've only got one coho, a native on a red Vibrax. So either that means it's good, or it's bad :think:

Q

qwapaw

I used to use a red stripped gold background Steelie on the Santiam and did well, and would catch an occasional Chinook on it. The chinook were alway dark or sore heads, so it must really tick them of to get them to strike when they are that close to the end of their journey. Good luck on the red. Qwapaw

A

autofisher

Most of the salmon that I've hit this year have been on a red or red variant lure. White/red, red/brass, pink/white that kind of stuff. I've had pretty decent results with the orange too.

B

BobberDown

red is a grate color no matter on a plug or a jig or my favret red comes in the form of eggs you ever notice most of the best fishing eggs are that deep dark red or flowesnt red. i do have to say no matter if it is a nook or a ho or a steelie they all love that red egg or red jig and so on. i red an article in STS awhl back that the color red its self triger perdeter fish such a salmon and steelhead to feed in the saltwater it is called gill flare. as a preditore fish chases a fray fish you know like a salmon chaseing a haring . the harings giles will flare as it is trying to get more oygen so from behind the harings the nook just keep's seeing the flash of silver and the red of the gill's. i have bean expemeting with bare bell jigs with eyes on them a red bead and difrent other tails from schlappen and marabou and UV Polor Chinnle with verygood resonts . but i alway use to troll a haring with a blue anr red blade on the chetco or in the salt a harring and a red hookie or the klamath a spinner with a silver body and a red and chart blade or the smith river a K14 qwick fish that had a silver body with a chart head an my dad would paint red haring strips down the side and red gill's and that was 10 to 15 years ago i gess i know why now. well at least that is the info i have gatherd from my fishing carear and sence i was a kid over the lats 20 years or so it al make sence and hass seamed o work for so many people over the year's itis hard to think red is not a very good color . is all i can say is get out there and fish somthing red and put it in front of a fish ad see what happens ????????? let al of us know what happens

M

Mad dog

Yesterday morning, went solo and boated a couple. That's the largest size Brad's wiggler....Pink!!! A better choice than red IMO for coho.
001.jpg

W

wormosa

Yesterday morning, went solo and boated a couple. That's the largest size Brad's wiggler....Pink!!! A better choice than red IMO for coho.
001.jpg
great looking fish, that was what i bought was a brads wiggler and it was definetly red...

D

diggindan

Red Wiggler

Red Wiggler

Our best producing lure in Baja last Feb. was a red Brad's wiggler. My wife's fav color also.
No pictures on this computer but she caught 2 3-4 lb. Mexican Hogfish and lots of Triggerfish. Kayak fishing I should add.
My choices are usually pink, red, green.
Cheers, Dan