Recycled steelhead @ Siuslaw

K
killigan
I caught what I believe to be a recycled steelhead this season (hole-punched through the cheek), and I was wondering if someone could tell me if hatchery steelhead on the Siuslaw are still being recycled once caught in the fish trap? If so, then where do they get put back into the river? The research I have made seems to only reference old material and was hoping someone here might be involved and could enlighten me. Thanks!

killigan

T
troutmasta
We punch them in the tail at the Siletz trap, not sure about the gill plate but sounds reasonable.

S
Steel4life
Yes recycled. Punch in the right Gill plate. I do believe the get put back in at the boat ramp below wildcat Creek.

hobster
hobster
^^^ Like he said, they punch the gill to differentiate the new ones and recycled going back to the trap. The native fish are released above the trap to spawn and the hatchery fish are just thrown back into the creek. I have watched them do it a couple of times. A buddy of mine volunteers at the trap and he says he gives them a good push to get them back in the river but some just hang out in the creek for a while. They are not released down river like some hatcheries do.

T
troutmasta
If anyone wants to join me running the mid Coast traps for a day PMme. Bonking hatcheries and releasing natives, not to mention spawning brood stock. Just a volunteer opportunity but very rewarding IMO.