Recommended guides?

S

Spydeyrch

So, I have been thinking about hiring a guide for some fly fishing. I don't really know of any guide services so I figured I would ask you folks for some recommendations.

I am not really set on what I want to fish for. I have two rods for trout so fishing for trout would be fine for me. I am kind of playing with the idea of fishing for steelhead because I have never caught a steelhead before on a fly rod (or ever for that matter) and I thought it might be a blast!! The only thing is that I don't have any fly gear for steelhead, but I am under the impression that the majority of fly guides provide the gear as part of the guide services. Is that correct?

Also, I am not too keen on the idea of doing a guided float. I haven't ever done them so I can't speak with experience but I don't know, they just don't seem as appealing as hiking around and being more active. But with a guided float, one can cover more water.

I am really kind of partial for a guided fly fishing trip where we hike in to some desert or mountain or alpine or coastal area that doesn't see too much pressure. That is what really intrigues me.

But not all of one's dreams can happen. hahahaha

So, what do you think? Trout? Steelhead? Salmon? Floated trip? Hiking trip? Any areas? Recommendation for guides? Max drive time I am willing to do is going to be 4, maybe 5 hours tops.

I am open to suggestions. Thanks!

-Spydey

Last edited:
S

Sinkline

The only guide I know and would recommend is a stillwater guy so no interest to you.

Hope ya find someone that works for your interest.

Randy

S

Spydeyrch

The only guide I know and would recommend is a stillwater guy so no interest to you.

Hope ya find someone that works for your interest.

Randy

Hey Randy, actually I would be open to the stillwater guide. I think that if we were to hike into a small high alpine, mountain are, coastal area lake, that would be pretty fun. I have a float tube that I could use so that is fine for me.

Do you happen to have the name or contact info of that guide? Mind sharing it? Thanks!

-Spydey

L

lilsalmon

The one you couldn't go wrong with is Brian Silvey on the Deschutes....he does trout, steel, etc. He is excellent and very very patient....:D I know this for a fact...hehe.

There is Karl Mueller on the Mckenzie...got my first steel on a spey with him.

Rodger Carbone also does the Deschutes and other waterways...great guy.

And there is always our own metalfisher that is truly excellent and will definitely get you into some steel

just my 2 cents worth

S

Spydeyrch

The one you couldn't go wrong with is Brian Silvey on the Deschutes....he does trout, steel, etc. He is excellent and very very patient....:D I know this for a fact...hehe.

There is Karl Mueller on the Mckenzie...got my first steel on a spey with him.

Rodger Carbone also does the Deschutes and other waterways...great guy.

And there is always our own metalfisher that is truly excellent and will definitely get you into some steel

just my 2 cents worth

Hey thanks lilsalmon. Those are some great suggestions!! Just what I was looking for.

If anyone else has any other recommendations, I am more than willing to research them. Thanks in advance.

-Spydey

S

Sinkline

Hey Randy, actually I would be open to the stillwater guide. I think that if we were to hike into a small high alpine, mountain are, coastal area lake, that would be pretty fun. I have a float tube that I could use so that is fine for me.

Do you happen to have the name or contact info of that guide? Mind sharing it? Thanks!

-Spydey

Spydey, I've known lots of stillwater fishers in my life, and this guy is the best of them all! He lives and breathes stillwater flyfishing and he is very good at it. His name is Brett Dennis and you can click on the link below to get more info. I don't know if Brett does any hike in kinda stuff but you can ask. If you speak to him, please tell him Randy Gunn said hello.
Home Page - Central Oregon Fishing

Randy

M

meluvtrout

$400 per person for steelhead? wow! you guys must have some big azz bank accounts.

Call Damon Burton for Clackamas River (ground'n'pound steelheader a.k.a Metalfisher76 on the forum.) 503-816-5623 GroundnPoundSteelheader
It'll be the best $100 you've ever spent!

Or try Ed Fast for Sandy River 503-449-0195. Great guy with lots of knowledge about Sandy River.

Last edited:
B

bigsteel

$400 per person for steelhead? wow! you guys must have some big azz bank accounts.

Call Damon Burton for Clackamas River (ground'n'pound steelheader a.k.a Metalfisher76 on the forum.) 503-816-5623 GroundnPoundSteelheader
It'll be the best $100 you've ever spent!

Or try Ed Fast for Sandy River 503-449-0195. Great guy with lots of knowledge about Sandy River.

thats cause we always fish 2 people which is the same price as one:D brian is the same price as every other guide for the deschutes,actually cheaper....the Deschutes is completely different ballgame then eagle creek.and its FLY FISHING

i would also recommend metalfisher hes a great guide for walk in trips.

i dont think ed fast fly fishes

Last edited:
M

Mad dog

I'll throw a few names in for you Spydey! These guys I know personally and all are top notch flyfishing guides! ūüĎŹ

Mike Boyd, Deschutes river outfitters.
Deschutes River Fly Fishing And Guide Service - Deschutes Outfitters
Check out this video!!!
YouTube - ‚Ä™Deschutes River Outfitters, North Umpqua River Winter Steelhead.‚Ĩ‚ÄŹ

Roe Outfitters, I know Darren well and he is on the top of his game!
Klamath Falls Oregon Fly Shop Guided Oregon Fly fishing goose hunting and duck hunting.

Scott Howell, guides the Rogue and North Umpqua in the summer and I have seen him guiding on the Main Umpqua in the winter for steelhead. Excellent at Skating flies for summer steelhead on the North Umpqua!

F

fishtales

You might check Brandon's Guide Service. I've been out with him in a group twice on the now. Very enjoyable and everyone caught fish each time. Not sure if he does fly fishing.

L

lilsalmon

changed my mind about what I said...sorry. Two of the three MD mentioned are probably excellent

bigsteel a purist?????:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
B

bigsteel

A little purist, are we? ;)

And Ed does guided fly fishing if you request it...

no purist,just stating the facts purist?????you are the one ranting about a guide service you have never even used.a little research would have shown you the going rate for deschutes guides.

Last edited:
S

Spydeyrch

You guys crack me up.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations and links to the sites. I will have to do some research and figure out which one I want to go with.

Thanks again everyone, your input is very much appreciated.!!

-Spydey

M

meluvtrout

no purist,just stating the facts purist?????you are the one ranting about a guide service you have never even used.a little research would have shown you the going rate for deschutes guides.

Wow man, you've got some serious guide issues. Pay whatever you want I don't care. Just relax and the read the posts. I never said anything about your guide, just the big bux you're coughing to hire a guide.

You guys crack me up.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations and links to the sites. I will have to do some research and figure out which one I want to go with.

Thanks again everyone, your input is very much appreciated.!!

-Spydey

It's your call dude. You can hire a guide as big as your bank account, but all I'm saying is if you're trying to learn how to fly fish, you don't have to pay arm and a leg. Afterall, a guide is there to show you the technique and put you into fish.
Just my $.02...

S

Spydeyrch

Wow man, you've got some serious guide issues. Pay whatever you want I don't care. Just relax and the read the posts. I never said anything about your guide, just the big bux you're coughing to hire a guide.

It's your call dude. You can hire a guide as big as your bank account, but all I'm saying is if you're trying to learn how to fly fish, you don't have to pay arm and a leg. Afterall, a guide is there to show you the technique and put you into fish.
Just my $.02...

Thank you meluvtrout for your input. It is appreciated. If I were to base it upon my bank account, I wouldn't be going at all, hahahahahahahaha :lol: But that is why I do my research so that I know what is out there, what will probably suit me best and then set a goal for those wants/needs. So any and all recommendations are appreciated. :D

As far as learning to fly fish, for trout, I think that I have it down pretty good. Pro? No. Sufficient to get into some fish? Yup, most of the time. :) Obviously I could always use (and will very much welcome) tips and assistance and guidance. Anything to better my abilities is always appreciated on my end. As for steelhead, I am basically a baby in that area. I have no experieince fly fishing for steelies and/or salmon. So learning is going to be VERY crucial in that regard. :)

-Spydey

B

bigsteel

Just my $.02...

no issues here,just dont understand why its your business what someone pays for a guide,,i just didn't care for the big azz bank account comment, then to call me a purist.?????show me a guide that floats the deschutes that will charge you 200 bucks.its not worth their time to float that river for 10 hours for only 200 bucks.boaters passes,shuttle,lunch,,,he would be lucky to profit a hundred bucks off the day.not worth their time.....again im not arguing with you just stating the facts.

Top Bottom