Recommend me a rod

B
Browning
I've decided to put some time in learning to fish the river. This summer steelhead run here on the Rogue looks like it should be a good one, so I'm starting soon. About the only thing missing from my rod rack is a 7' spinning rod. a lot of the steelie guys from work swear its the best thing going for the summer runs. And its not like I really need an excuse for another rod... What do you all think?

troutdude
troutdude
Most of the peeps on the South Santiam use 8 or 8.5 foot rods, with sensitive tips. But, I've used 7 or 7.5 footers with success. However, I primarily chase summer steel w/ spinners and other lures. I've heard that a longer rod is better for float n' jig or for drifting.

Good luck; and welcome to OFF.

H
halibuthitman
the okuma sst steelhead spin model is only $70... best rod for under a hundred bucks out there.

G
Growbug
I got one of my 'multi purpose' rods from a rabid steelhead friend. Its done me for trout, steelies, smallmouth, etc.

Okuma Connoisseur , CQ-SM-86 , line wt 10-20, lure 1/8oz-1/4oz, 8 1/2 ft medium action with a nice soft tip

A lot of places are now showing that the Connoisseur is being discontinued and replaced with the SST models.

If you can find a Connoisseur, they can be had for around $40-$50

C
Combat Chuck
I like my Berkley's... Tactix and Buzz Ramseys models. Both are solid entry level rods.

18406ej
18406ej
I have had a Shimano Clarus for over 5 years now that has served me well- plus it has a lifetime warranty. It has excellent sensitivity and is less than $100 at most outlets.

Welcome to OFF,

S
steelhead_stalkers
I would go with a 9'0" to 9'6" fast action rod rated for 4-8lb test. Its perfect for summer steelhead as well as winter steelhead. Heck I even fought a nice Chinook yesterday for about 10 minutes with one. I did not win but you have a decent chance! :lol: Most of the rods mentions above have this type of rod and rating. Good luck!

B
beaverfan
steelhead_stalkers said:
I would go with a 9'0" to 9'6" fast action rod rated for 4-8lb test. Its perfect for summer steelhead as well as winter steelhead. Heck I even fought a nice Chinook yesterday for about 10 minutes with one. I did not win but you have a decent chance! :lol: Most of the rods mentions above have this type of rod and rating. Good luck!

Totally agree!!!

H
halibuthitman
9'6'' for a spin rod? just curious... why? not arguing... just want to hear the reason for such a long rod?

S
steelhead_stalkers
Mostly I use it for a light jig rod for winter and summer steelhead but it works equally as well for drift fishing or side drifting out of a boat. Its got enough backbone to fight large steelhead and a fast, sensitive tip. The length helps when using light line which is needed a must during summer steelhead where 6 lb test is normally used. It also works perfectly for micro jig float fishing where light line and a longer length help tire out fish. The 9'6" rod cast spinners well and can be used for trout if you have no other rods. Its my favorite of all my steelhead rods by far. :D

S
steelheadstalker31
I would agree. My favorite rod by far is my 9'6" 4-8lb fast action rainshadow. The longer rod has more give than a shorter rod and helps keep the fish from breaking the line. I use braid for almost everything, so I need that extra give.

B
Browning
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I guess I for got to add that I already have a 10' 2-8 Shimano Convergence rod (won it in a raffle a couple of weeks ago). Anyways, today I picked up from a clearance bin no less, a 7' 4-12 Berkeley Series One & a Berkeley Tactix 6'6" jig/worming rod. Grand total of $70 for both rods. Dont think I got hurt!

Troutdude: I tried to reply to your PM, but your inbox is full..

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Holy cow Browning...I want to go shopping with you!!!

BTW, you can now re-send your PM.