Recipe for lake trout

M
madura
Just wonndering does whats the best way to prepare these fish, DO they taste better on the BBQ or should i fire up the smoker?

T
Thuggin4Life
Toss them back and they will taste better.

R
rippin fish lips
agreed!

Admin
Admin
c'mon guys, it's not what he's asking about. may be he tossed back a hundred, brought back one fish and wants to make it reel tasty.

C
CFishRun
Being that I'm from Michigan I know a thing or two about the Mackinaw or Lake Trout. They tend to be on the oily side. I would suggest not smoking them as the oil simply makes them difficult to get a good smoke on them. (I like dried/smokey flavored fish not moist, oils slabs). But don't fret there is a way to deal with this. Stew it. Use the oil to your advantage. Fillet the beast. Than take the skeleton and head along with your favorite aromatics (carrots, celery, italian spice, bay leaf etc etc etc) covered with water and boil it for an hour. Strain and Pour off the liquid, which is now your fish stock. You can use this for a mountain of delicious recipes (go online and search "meals with fish stock". Plus it freezes well and can be saved for future endeavors.

Now what to do with those fillets. You can cube them and place in a simmering (fish stock) vat of mushrooms, chile peppers, clams, shrimp/prawns, turnips and lemons. **see Bay Seasoning**

Here is an idea I've tried with great success on Chinook. Take the fillets and slather with regular ol' BBQ sauce. Toss them on the grill for a hot minute and serve with lemon wedges. Don't knock the BBQ salmon until you try it. It is delicious. It will turn non-salmon eaters into salmon fiends.

Lastly you can cube the fillets and place in a boiling pot with peppercorns, one squeezed lemon, and a whole chopped onion. Boil until firm and serve with melted butter. Think Dungeuness Crab with out putting in all the work of cracking the shells. This is highly recommended for those Chinook that you kept but are right on the verge of, "man I shoulda let that ripe ol' girl go!"

Hope it helps and enjoy.

N
nwkiller
i heard smoking was the best.....way, way greasy

T
Thuggin4Life
I ate some BBQed laker and it was the worst. some of the recipes sound good but minus the laker. i also would recomend on a bigger laker that you cut out the marbled in fat.

S
strawberry shortcake
Bet these fish are good for hearts with that much oil. Hell, smoke em and then take as a fish oil vitamin pill! Add crackers, cheese, and a good beer for extra nutrition!

J
JeannaJigs
I haven't had a laker that tasted good, but maybe if it was prepared right, it would..but...i'm skeptical lol.

S
strawberry shortcake
Wonder if preparing them like sardines, another oily fish, would work. Growing up with grandparents who knew how to make things like head cheese, we had the occasional pickled fish (we had several other dishes that most folks these days would not even force-feed to terrorists, but I like them very much).

The first one involves deep fat frying the fish (smelt size pieces or fillets - if whole fish is used make sure the size is no more than 1/2 inch thick) just long enough to cook the flesh, then making a marinade pickle sauce. If you fry a pound of fish the following sauce should be enough marinade:

Saute 1 small finely minced onion, 2 T finely minced carrots, and 4 whole cloves garlic. I would use about 3 T olive oil for this. Add 2/3 c wine vinegar and 1/4 c water, a small bay leaf, a sprig of fresh thyme, salt to taste, and 2 small red hot peppers, simmer for 10 minutes. Pour sauce over cooked fish in shallow pan. Refrigerate 24 hours. Serve with crackers.

There are other recipes for this. In South America they do this with fresh raw fish. In Spain they poach the fish first before marinating. But the premise is the same. Marinade in a pickling sauce of some kind for a few hours and then serve with crusty bread or crackers. Following are two more recipes for marinades:

2 c lime juice
1/2 c finely chopped onions
1/4 c chopped green chilis
1 c chopped, peeled and seeded toms
2 t salt
some cayenne pepper to taste
1/8 t oregano

Mix together and refrigerate for 4 - 5 hours then pour over 2 lbs cooked or raw fish and refrigerate 4 to 5 hours. Serve with crackers. This marinade is not cooked so it will not keep for more than a day or so.

Cover 2 lbs cooked or raw fish cut into chunks with lime juice and marinade over night.
Drain and add to the lime juice:
2 T finely chopped onion
1 T finely chopped parsley
2 T finely chopped green pepper
3 T olive oil
other seasonings you might like

Serve as a dipping sauce for the fish. This marinade is not cooked so it will not keep longer than a day or so.

All of these recipes are best served on a platter sitting on crushed ice with toothpicks nearby. Any crispy cracker or light very crusty bread is great.

I forgot to add that a fast preparation involves adding chunks of cooked fish to jars of pickled olives, artichoke hearts, asparagus spears and other antipasto combinations. Chill for a few hours. Serve as above.

Last edited:
S
supertodd
never caught a lake trout, but is it a different type of oily than salmon?

S
strawberry shortcake
I haven't the foggiest. Never caught one either.

J
JeannaJigs
It's a way different oily nastyness.