Razor clamming

O
OnTheDrop
Well I hadn't been Razor Clamming in yearrrrrssss, and after some recent pictures from a buddy, I had a hunch to get out and see if it was what I remembered as a kid. Long story short....It was. The beer probably helped, though.

This past Monday ( 3/2 ) My ol' lady and I already being at the coast, thought it would be a good time to give it a whirl with a low tide of .03. The lower the tide...The better.

The low was at 6pm so we made our way North from Nehalem to Gearhart to hangout at Mcmenamins around 1:30pm for some beverages. After we knocked a couple back we progressed to the beach a mile North. ( Del Ray ), but not before more suds at the market on the way. It was around 3pm at this time and I had forgot we were meeting some friends ( Troutmasta & his wife ) We ran into each other at the market having similar ideas ;)

I remembered it was the best clamming an hour or two before low tide, but we arrived about 3 hours before and there was a BUNCH of people all over the place. We found a nice section to ourselves and the four of us hopped out anticipating some good clamming? Lol. It literally took us 20 seconds to start seeing little holes all over the place and we had ourselves our firsts. We were like children running around laughing and screaming. Okay, once again, maybe the beer. It truly was a good time, though. The limit is 15 razors a person and a limit isn't hard, even for a novice. We fell short of ours because we didn't feel like sticking around for much time. It was windy as all hell..Beautiful out though!

If anyone is thinking about getting out, get yourself a clam gun, and or shovel and do it. Just research the tides and pick the lowest one. From Seaside up to Astoria is where it's at.

I'll throw some pictures when I get on my cell phone here in a little. Going to go make some Chowder!

Cheers,

Reactions: Irishrover
T
troutmasta
...then got ham boned at the coast and crashed local.

Fun times!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
wow, excellent report and amazing they are available at those tides...here at the central coast there are small populations of razors here and there, most require a -1.5 tide to get to them...they are damn good eats!

O
OnTheDrop
Guess I only have one on my phone.
image.jpg

Irishrover
Irishrover
Nice post. I don't know what it is about razor clamming, but I sure can be fun. That stretch of beach from Gearhart to the South Jetty is a great place to clam. One of the reasons I like the coast so much is all the different thing to do, and razor clamming is a hoot!

O
OnTheDrop
rogerdodger said:
wow, excellent report and amazing they are available at those tides...here at the central coast there are small populations of razors here and there, most require a -1.5 tide to get to them...they are damn good eats!

Just another reason why the North Coast is better than the Central :D:D:D

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
SteelmonKiller20 said:

ouch....

T
troutmasta
SteelmonKiller20 said:
What about this winter run!:p

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
on the other hand, I spent 5 hours today on a 'central coast river', pedaled just over 6 miles and worked on back trolling plugs above the 'top of tide' with my Mirage drive installed backwards (slowing the kayak down), and I did not see another boat on the river, not one. so there's that...heading to the Umpqua tomorrow on my first springer recon trip...

B
bagold53
Nice to see you without a boat underneath you.

O
OnTheDrop
bagold53 said:
Nice to see you without a boat underneath you.

Lol!