Raining buckets

G
GMR
Im not far from the Wilson and its Raining Cats and Dogs out. Theres rain tonight and showers tomorro......
Sooooo tempting to run out there to see what have gotten through.

98nismo
Ya it was!! I was caught in it fishing at Bethany lake through the whole thing. next time ill bring rain gear. on the good side it seemed like the fish started biting better while it was pouring :)

F
flux
Does this mean good things for tomorrow? I just got a tenkara rod and am eager to test it out. The Wilson sounds like a good place to try it.

G
GMR
flux said:
Does this mean good things for tomorrow? I just got a tenkara rod and am eager to test it out. The Wilson sounds like a good place to try it.

Who knows. depends how it affect the River levels. Its not raining anymore this sec but more tonight is expected and some showers tomorro..
I think im going to give it a week and see what happens.
Let us know if you go out.

F
flux
Ode to the little trout...

Ode to the little trout...

So I went out to the Wilson on Sat and needless to say it was a GORGEOUS day out. This was my first time on the Wilson and I have to say I'm surprised that more people (that i know IRL) don't mention it and it's really not that far away. It's ideal for fly fishing, at least right now it's really more of a stream than a river. I got to test out my new Tenkara rod and this was the perfect place for it. I got a 13 foot rod with a 15 foot line (+2 feet of tippet) and there wasn't any area I couldn't reach and I hardly had to wade at all.

I started off at the Smith Homestead Day Use area at around 1 pm and found a couple of holes right in front of the steps. The VERY first cast out, I got an immediate hit, but it was such a small trout, I didn't even realize he was still on the hook, so I was casting while he was still attached until I noticed, "Hey, there's a fish on the end of my line!". I'm sure the poor little guy was traumatized for life!" :shock: After about 2 hours, 50+ strikes and landing 10 trout (all less than 6 inches and of course releasing all of them), I decided to look for this "blackjack hole" on the map so kindly provided by Jay.

So I drove down a bit and after I saw mile marker 21, I found a pullout and walked down to the river after crossing a large field of river rocks. I fished the river for about a mile, going downstream and kept catching little guys. Finally, after returning to my starting spot, I went upstream a little ways and found a little shallow riffle area under some trees. Didn't think it would hold any larger trout, but I was wrong! Within a minute, I caught a nice 9 inch cutthroat, then followed 2 min later by a 10 inch rainbow. I guess with the water that clear, the big ones seek out shelter in riffle water. Then a little further up, I found a deeper hole which was just ahead of some creek that was flowing into the river. And wow, were there a lot of fish in there. Mostly little ones, but I got a couple of 8-10 inchers. And seriously, like 9 out of 10 casts resulted in a strike. It almost made me wonder if I should got to a larger fly just to avoid the little ones. But nah, I was having a blast catching the little ones. On a Tenkara rod, the ones bigger than 6 inches actually put a pretty decent fight! And you feel EVERY little bite, even from the 2 inch fry.

So I was out there for about 5 hours and I had well over 100 strikes. I landed like 20, out of which 5 were in the 8-10 inch range. (I lost so many going barbless for the day). Released all of them. Figured I just taught all those fish a good lesson and make them tougher to catch in the future. :lol: For those of you who haven't tried a Tenkara rod, I HIGHLY recommend it. If you do a Google search, you'll find this guy who imports them from Japan and sells them for a really reasonable price of something like $85 or something. I had been frustrated for the last month not being able to catch any steelhead in the Deschutes, but sometimes a bunch of little guys can totally make your day!

Will definitely be out there again, especially when the water levels pick up. I'm making note of the currently dry areas which will be under water soon and figuring out where the fish will be. There's a large uprooted tree right where I was fishing and I think that will be a PRIME spot for the big ones this fall. Looking forward to getting back out there and checking out more spots. Not sure how this river has steelhead. Where are they hiding?? The river is so small!

Last edited:
C
cddunn
flux said:
So I went out to the Wilson on Sat and needless to say it was a GORGEOUS day out. This was my first time on the Wilson and I have to say I'm surprised that more people (that i know IRL) don't mention it and it's really not that far away. It's ideal for fly fishing, at least right now it's really more of a stream than a river. I got to test out my new Tenkara rod and this was the perfect place for it. I got a 13 foot rod with a 15 foot line (+2 feet of tippet) and there wasn't any area I couldn't reach and I hardly had to wade at all.

I started off at the Smith Homestead Day Use area at around 1 pm and found a couple of holes right in front of the steps. The VERY first cast out, I got an immediate hit, but it was such a small trout, I didn't even realize he was still on the hook, so I was casting while he was still attached until I noticed, "Hey, there's a fish on the end of my line!". I'm sure the poor little guy was traumatized for life!" :shock: After about 2 hours, 50+ strikes and landing 10 trout (all less than 6 inches and of course releasing all of them), I decided to look for this "blackjack hole" on the map so kindly provided by Jay.

So I drove down a bit and after I saw mile marker 21, I found a pullout and walked down to the river after crossing a large field of river rocks. I fished the river for about a mile, going downstream and kept catching little guys. Finally, after returning to my starting spot, I went upstream a little ways and found a little shallow riffle area under some trees. Didn't think it would hold any larger trout, but I was wrong! Within a minute, I caught a nice 9 inch cutthroat, then followed 2 min later by a 10 inch rainbow. I guess with the water that clear, the big ones seek out shelter in riffle water. Then a little further up, I found a deeper hole which was just ahead of some creek that was flowing into the river. And wow, were there a lot of fish in there. Mostly little ones, but I got a couple of 8-10 inchers. And seriously, like 9 out of 10 casts resulted in a strike. It almost made me wonder if I should got to a larger fly just to avoid the little ones. But nah, I was having a blast catching the little ones. On a Tenkara rod, the ones bigger than 6 inches actually put a pretty decent fight! And you feel EVERY little bite, even from the 2 inch fry.

So I was out there for about 5 hours and I had well over 100 strikes. I landed like 20, out of which 5 were in the 8-10 inch range. (I lost so many going barbless for the day). Released all of them. Figured I just taught all those fish a good lesson and make them tougher to catch in the future. :lol: For those of you who haven't tried a Tenkara rod, I HIGHLY recommend it. If you do a Google search, you'll find this guy who imports them from Japan and sells them for a really reasonable price of something like $85 or something. I had been frustrated for the last month not being able to catch any steelhead in the Deschutes, but sometimes a bunch of little guys can totally make your day!

Will definitely be out there again, especially when the water levels pick up. I'm making note of the currently dry areas which will be under water soon and figuring out where the fish will be. There's a large uprooted tree right where I was fishing and I think that will be a PRIME spot for the big ones this fall. Looking forward to getting back out there and checking out more spots. Not sure how this river has steelhead. Where are they hiding?? The river is so small!

I was up there Friday a bit higher. I saw at least 10 steelhead in about 3 or 4 different spots (slower, deeper water, in this case). Once they see me, they either scatter or ignore me and my offerings.

B
beaverfan
cddunn said:
I was up there Friday a bit higher. I saw at least 10 steelhead in about 3 or 4 different spots (slower, deeper water, in this case). Once they see me, they either scatter or ignore me and my offerings.

Yup that's the story with the Wilson right now. All the Steelhead are pooled up in the deep water waiting for rain, and lots of it! Once we get some rain and the water rises a foot or more they will spread out and start hitting again, that same rain will push some Coho and maybe even some fall Nooks into the river too!

F
flux
So I went back today with a friend and in trying to find my previous pullout spot, I found what I suspect is the "real" Blackjack Hole. The water is really still, but pretty deep. It's like a gigantic pool with a cliff on the opposite side of the river. We saw lots of battered steelhead down there, but they weren't interested in anything we were throwing in front of them.

On another note, my friend and I were disappointed at how much garbage people left behind. Birds nests of mono line, pink PowerBait, empty beer and soda cans, and plastic wrappers for all kinds of stuff. On the short hike down to the river, somebody had literally left a mound of garbage. It was partially in a bag, but spilling out all over the place. Disgusting. Next time, I'll be bringing a large bag with me to pick up some stuff, but I find it hard to believe that some people have no sense of shame in leaving such a mess.

G
GMR
I was planning on going out early Thursday morning since its going to rain Wed night.
Just to see if there was any effects..
Ill remember to bring a garbage bag along.

G
GDBrown
GMR said:
I was planning on going out early Thursday morning since its going to rain Wed night.
Just to see if there was any effects..
Ill remember to bring a garbage bag along.

I'll be heading that way in about an hour. I'm checking out a couple of spots for next months general deer hunt. My first in 30years. I'll be checking the waters too.

GD

G
GMR
Well I was there yesterday night (wed) while it was pouring and we caught a small Steelhead and a lot of smallish trout.
Basicly every cast trout were hitting the lures.
Went back this morning and got half a dozen trout over a couple hours.
But.. The water level is higher, and the curent is moving faster.
Last forcast I saw said showers off and on through monday so I plan on being out there early tuesday to see what changes.
Im going fishing toight somewhere, maybe there not sure yet.

B
beaverfan
I was out there this morning, couldn't hook any Steelhead but did catch a couple of Coho jacks about mid river.

G
GMR
beaverfan said:
I was out there this morning, couldn't hook any Steelhead but did catch a couple of Coho jacks about mid river.

I saw a couple cars out along the way. I was wondering if any of them were OFF'rs..
It was an interesting day of exploring and playing around with an Emmrod Mountaineer pole..
Took my sister with me, was her first time fishing since she was really young.
She caught a few small trout and was getting some really nice and far casts with her cheap
Eagle Claw pole that an old boss gave her. She even had a bigger fish on down at the baitshop
boat ramp that was running her drag but it managed to get off befor I could figure what it was.

Maybe sometime I could catch up with you and you can show me the boundrys (where you can and can't fish)
There still a bit fuzzy to me out there, I just stick where I see others so far.

B
beaverfan
Ya for sure, I try to get out there at least once a week. I love that river, did you see the map I and some other OFF members made? It's stickied at the top of the Wilson River section. I just noticed your going out Tuesday, my girlfriend needs the car for work but I'm not too far from you if you don't mind picking me up. Shoot me a PM

G
GMR
beaverfan said:
Ya for sure, I try to get out there at least once a week. I love that river, did you see the map I and some other OFF members made? It's stickied at the top of the Wilson River section. I just noticed your going out Tuesday, my girlfriend needs the car for work but I'm not too far from you if you don't mind picking me up. Shoot me a PM

I believe I am the last post on that map:)

Yeah if your free on Tuesday that would work well, Im basicly in Beaverton anyway.
Let me know when is good for you. Im an early riser so..
Ill be outa town all weekend in Idaho (probaly fishing) But will be back early Monday afternoon.
Ill get online on and off, so just kick me a msg..

O
OnTheDrop
HEy if you guys are looking for a 3rd person to hit the wilson with ya i'm definently trying to go. I could meet you guys whereever. Let me know. Take it easy.

I
igot_it
I was out on the 21st didn't do squat for steelhead so I switched over to trout. Czech nymphed through a lot of riffle water hooked a pretty nice sea run cutthroat (I think) it got off just before I could release it. Saved me the trouble I guess. Water seemed a little low still but you could feel it coming.....on the plus side the chantrelles and shaggy manes were out so not a total loss. I still brought dinner home for momma!