Rainbows fly on the Upper Molalla.

G
Growbug
Was out tonight on my usual 'need to get out of the house' Cuttie hunt. Been used to getting anything from 5" through 10" on the fly.
Tonight as I parked the windshield got covered with a LARGE insect looking like a flying ant. The largest pattern i had was a size 6 Sofa Pillow.
Went down to the water and there were little circles all over the surface with LOTS of downed insects and it looked like a swarm or something had just passed, loads still clinging to branches or trying to crawl up the rocks.
Scouting around a little I heard a LARGE splash upstream, so off that way I went. As I approached I saw the fish rise again. It didn't rise and sip, or rise and gulp etc like i expect the Cutthroats to do, so i sat and watched.
Each time a LARGE insect went past, this fish would rise a good 6" ahead, and then cruise like a dolphin on the surface with its mouth open until it got the insect, then it crashed back down.
I crept up and it took about 3 drifts past until WHAM, the fish was on and headed as fast upstream as it could. Jumped and crashed a couple of times then turned and headed STRAIGHT back at me. On the final jump it landed almost at my feet and started bleeding profusely from its gills.
Tried and tried to get it swimming again, but just belly up.

.. its a 13.5" Rainbow!

Question, I know its against the rules to take trout from this river.. Was I OK to take it when I couldnt revive it??

Will post pic as soon as i can get it off the phone.

G
GDBrown
Growbug said:
Was out tonight on my usual 'need to get out of the house' Cuttie hunt. Been used to getting anything from 5" through 10" on the fly.
Tonight as I parked the windshield got covered with a LARGE insect looking like a flying ant. The largest pattern i had was a size 6 Sofa Pillow.
Went down to the water and there were little circles all over the surface with LOTS of downed insects and it looked like a swarm or something had just passed, loads still clinging to branches or trying to crawl up the rocks.
Scouting around a little I heard a LARGE splash upstream, so off that way I went. As I approached I saw the fish rise again. It didn't rise and sip, or rise and gulp etc like i expect the Cutthroats to do, so i sat and watched.
Each time a LARGE insect went past, this fish would rise a good 6" ahead, and then cruise like a dolphin on the surface with its mouth open until it got the insect, then it crashed back down.
I crept up and it took about 3 drifts past until WHAM, the fish was on and headed as fast upstream as it could. Jumped and crashed a couple of times then turned and headed STRAIGHT back at me. On the final jump it landed almost at my feet and started bleeding profusely from its gills.
Tried and tried to get it swimming again, but just belly up.

.. its a 13.5" Rainbow!

Question, I know its against the rules to take trout from this river.. Was I OK to take it when I couldnt revive it??

Will post pic as soon as i can get it off the phone.

I would promptly remove this post since you are admitting to a crime! Keep the fish, it is the ethical thing to do. But don't post in a public forum that you have broken the law.

Just my $0.02

GD

T
tnffishman
Yeah I feel it would be the right thing to do. I love the upper molalla trout fly fishing, especially when you get a larger one. But ya man, I would remove it

B
bigsteel
hey you tried the best you can,,it happens..when you gonna hit the molalla again,,ide love to get over there and fish with ya

O
OnTheFly
Let's put an APB out for a guy named Growbug. I'd even change your avitar because unclipped fins are not legal either.lol!

G
ghostcow
As far as the ethics are concerned I wonder if would be "better" for the river/ecosystem to leave the trout in the water for critters to feed on (osprey, raccoons, etc.) Not sure but I would have given him a burial at sea.
Cheers

Irishrover
Irishrover
Always toss the fish......I caught a trout on the Clackamas while fishing for Coho Salmon. Dam fish committed sucide on a size one hook that had eggs on it. When I pulled in my line to check the bait I found the darn "Fin Clipped" fish on my line stiff as a board. Now I knew in the back of my mind that there is a statute regarding waste of game fish, and since this fish was fin clipped I thought I was obligated to keep it. I would have prefered to toss it. At the Carver boat ramp an OSP game cop asked if I had caught any fish......I told her about the fish and with glee she issued me a citation to appear in court. I tried to explain about the wasting game statute and that the fish was fin clipped. Did not make a bit of difference. The maximum pentalty for that violation is one year in jail and a $2,500 fine.:shock: It is a mandatory court appearence. I went to court and the judge kicked it down to a $35.00 fine. My advice toss the fish! It didn't stop there because of my occupation at the time...they contacted my employer who decided to conduct an IA investigation. My commander wanted to stick me with a letter of reprimand. The chief told her to pound sand:lol:
I think some of those fish and game laws need to be looked at.

O
OnTheFly
Irishrover said:
I think some of those fish and game laws need to be looked at.

I agree. That whole process they put you through sounded excessive.