Rainbows at the Expo ponds

D
doublestrike
I couldn't get Steve to go this weekend, he had other stuff to do so I didn't get the boat out but, about 2:00 I just couldn't sit and do nothing any longer. So I rigged up an ultra-light spinning outfit and wandered over to the expo ponds. They had planted a bunch of rainbows last week sometime and I figured I would give it a go.

I started out with a chartreuse Rooster Tail and got a couple of hits on it but no hookups. Tied on a Kastmaster and two casts into the same area and I nice hookup. I reeled in a nice 9 inch planter, and boy was he upset over the whole ordeal. Tossed him back and cast a couple of more times and another one the same size. On the next cast I had a nice one come unhooked and my Kastmaster landed in the brush too far
to get at, so that was a donation. I walked back to the car and
grabbed the other one that I have and back to a different spot
And caught one more. Then the bite quit or they all ran away.
I gave my castiing arm a work out for a few more minutes,
At least I got some fish smell on my hands and that
ought to last at least a week.
So now I am all set for next week of work. Sometimes
you just gotta fish if even for just a little while.

H
Hawk
yer rite......................

yuuu done Mighty good Pard............................:lol::lol::lol:....................:cool::cool::cool:

S
Silverblade
doublestrike said:
I couldn't get Steve to go this weekend, he had other stuff to do so I didn't get the boat out but, about 2:00 I just couldn't sit and do nothing any longer. So I rigged up an ultra-light spinning outfit and wandered over to the expo ponds. They had planted a bunch of rainbows last week sometime and I figured I would give it a go.

I started out with a chartreuse Rooster Tail and got a couple of hits on it but no hookups. Tied on a Kastmaster and two casts into the same area and I nice hookup. I reeled in a nice 9 inch planter, and boy was he upset over the whole ordeal. Tossed him back and cast a couple of more times and another one the same size. On the next cast I had a nice one come unhooked and my Kastmaster landed in the brush too far
to get at, so that was a donation. I walked back to the car and
grabbed the other one that I have and back to a different spot
And caught one more. Then the bite quit or they all ran away.
I gave my castiing arm a work out for a few more minutes,
At least I got some fish smell on my hands and that
ought to last at least a week.
So now I am all set for next week of work. Sometimes
you just gotta fish if even for just a little while.

Where are the Expo ponds? I assume they're the waters over near the Portland Expo center but really don't know.

C
Combat Chuck
I think these are the Jackson County Expo Ponds in Central Point... ya know.. the one that a piranha was caught in. ;) hehe

O
osmosis
I also think he's talking about the ones at the jackson county expo center.
theres supposed to be largemouth, bluegill, crappie, and brown bullheads in them as well as the trout.

D
doublestrike
Silverblade said:
Where are the Expo ponds? I assume they're the waters over near the Portland Expo center but really don't know.

Yes, the Jackson County Expo ponds in Central Point!

M
Mike12
Which section where you at i had fished there a few times and had no luck?

D
doublestrike
Mike12 said:
Which section where you at i had fished there a few times and had no luck?

On the north side of the gravel drive, that goes to all of the horse stables. I don't think that they have planted the trout in there yet. Check the ODFW stocking schedule.

Rick

T
Throbbit _Shane
the last time was in october i believe, there should still be some left.

M
Mike12
If theres any left i want one.LOL

T
Throbbit _Shane
If you read the mail tribune today it said they put the fish from the outdoors show in the expo ponds. 2 steelhead and a bunch of trout.

Ill be there tomorrow evening til it gets dark :)

S
steelhead_stalkers
Is that pond stocked? I have fished the other one in the back and it had fish jumping in it. Not sure if they stock all three ponds or just one.

N
Ntofishing
steelhead_stalkers said:
Is that pond stocked? I have fished the other one in the back and it had fish jumping in it. Not sure if they stock all three ponds or just one.

I think you are right. From what I have seen all of them get put in the back two ponds. For those of you that are in the area it looks like they are stocking it this week. Ill be out there sometime today, Ill try and take some pics.

ODFW - 2010 Trout Stocking Schedule - North Coast Watershed District

T
Throbbit _Shane
I was out there today for a little bit in the evening, caught 1 rainbow and had another bite. I only brought 1 pole and 1 lure. I eventually lost the Panther Martin and quit fishing and started to talk with the bass fisherman. 2 guys were fishing the pond behind me and one got a fatty bass, id say around 5 pounds, i got a couple pictures on my cell phone ill try to upload them on here later. Then as i was leaving i stop and chat with a couple younger guys and happen to recognize one of them, it was Colby the bass master. Talked with him a little bit then went home, ill defiently come back some time this week for some trout and bass action :)

Oh and the guy that was with the dude who caught the big bass, recognized my screen name from this forum. I forgot both of theyre names though, hopefully the guy becomes a active member on here.

T
Throbbit _Shane
steelhead_stalkers said:

I think they only stock the big one in the back, its also connected to another pond so they might be in both.

T
Throbbit _Shane
went there today, seen a lot of fish jump but only caught about 5 on spinners in 3 hours. defiantly a lot of trout in there right now

T
Throbbit _Shane
nice cody. i was down there for a couple hours in the afternoon, only brought 2 skinny guys in. had 1 nice one attack my lure 5 feet from shore then shook free. its kinda slow for as many trout that are in there lol.

Next time im down there im gonna be at the pond by the amphitheater trying for carp and bass :D

K
kfallscody
Yeah I was thinking it was pretty slow for as many fish as should be in there. Next time I won't fuss with the fly rig and just bring my spinning setup with my goto lures... those blackberry bushes are no fun!!!

T
Throbbit _Shane
I got one small trout on a panther martin last night. right after it got dark. seen a lot of fish surfacing.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Kokanee power of oregon is holding a clean up event of the ponds this saturday at 8am. im gonna try to make it, the ponds are filthy.