Rabbit hunting?

C
CFishRun
Anybody have any leads to good public rabbit hunting grounds? Jack rabbit or cottontails. I loved hunting rabbits on my property in Michigan and miss the heck out of it. I would say I'd like to take a few people or meet some folks to join up for a shoot but the last time I did that I was almost shot. Literally at point blank range. So I will only rabbit hunt with someone who has taken their hunter safety course and passed. Rabbits have a way of running in between people and I like to know that the person across from me isn't following the rabbit's path with their muzzle as it crosses me in their line of sight. Also pulling the trigger on a firearm is NOT the appropriate way of testing to see if the safety is on.

But some good rabbit stomping grounds would be fun. Plus they taste delicious.

Last edited by a moderator:
C
Cooper
Cottontails have to be around here somewhere, but I haven't seen one since moving here. A safety course may help but you can't fix stupid. A hunting group should be self-governing, one mistake and you get swatted behind the head, next mistake and you're never invited again. You have to be careful with the company you keep. Now, where do you hunt cotton tails?

D
DonF
Cooper said:
Cottontails have to be around here somewhere, but I haven't seen one since moving here. A safety course may help but you can't fix stupid. A hunting group should be self-governing, one mistake and you get swatted behind the head, next mistake and you're never invited again. You have to be careful with the company you keep. Now, where do you hunt cotton tails?
Around here, Antelope what we have are pigmy cotton tails. They eat good!

C
Cooper
There are no guarantees in life except those of a spiritual nature, but in this case, a good slap on the back of the head, as advised, might help. Now we were talking about rabbit hunting. Now, does anyone have any input for this poor fellow on where to go and do his rabbit hunting and maybe he needs a good beagle or two? That's how we hunt on the other side of the Great Divide, and if ya'll have never listened to the bugle call of a brace of beagles after a cottontail, then you have missed out on hearing the call of the wild ......Antelope is a bit remote ..... suggestions?

Last edited:
D
DonF
Speaking of rabbit hunting, thinking about guns. used to use a 22 RF a lot but only one I have these days is a mod 62a with only open sight's and old eyes. Do have a 22 mag that works well but body shots I'd call a no no. I have a S&W mod 16 in 32 long that would definitely work with the ammo I load, 95gr cast RN bullet's. Wonder what it would take to make a rifle to shoot them? Also have a 32 ACP but not impressed with it.

D
DonF
DonF said:
Speaking of rabbit hunting, thinking about guns. used to use a 22 RF a lot but only one I have these days is a mod 62a with only open sight's and old eyes. Do have a 22 mag that works well but body shots I'd call a no no. I have a S&W mod 16 in 32 long that would definitely work with the ammo I load, 95gr cast RN bullet's. Wonder what it would take to make a rifle to shoot them? Also have a 32 ACP but not impressed with it.
Forgot to mention I also have two 28ga shotguns that would work pretty well and a 410 shotgun. But I like to resere my shotguns for birds. of course if I was running rabbit's with dog's, shotgun would be my go to.