Rabbit hunting?

C
CFishRun
Anybody have any leads to good public rabbit hunting grounds? Jack rabbit or cottontails. I loved hunting rabbits on my property in Michigan and miss the heck out of it. I would say I'd like to take a few people or meet some folks to join up for a shoot but the last time I did that I was almost shot. Literally at point blank range. So I will only rabbit hunt with someone who has taken their hunter safety course and passed. Rabbits have a way of running in between people and I like to know that the person across from me isn't following the rabbit's path with their muzzle as it crosses me in their line of sight. Also pulling the trigger on a firearm is NOT the appropriate way of testing to see if the safety is on.

But some good rabbit stomping grounds would be fun. Plus they taste delicious.

Last edited by a moderator:
B
beaverfan
The only areas I've hunted for Rabbits wan in Centreal/Eastern Oregon. I haven't been in years and years. I was too young when I first started doing it. My first kill was baby Rabbit that I hit with my .22 from at least 40yds while it was on the run. I felt so bad, it was this tiny little thing and it was twitching around and making horrible noises. I had to finish it OFF. I could handle it now but I couldn't have been more than 8. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

M
Markcanby
I have some places in Eastern I may got to this spring for Jack's. You wouldnt want to eat them though. Last time we only got about 50 it was a bad night.:lol::lol:

O
Outdoor_Myers
my girlfriend said I can not hunt rabbit or squirrel :( but I would love a nice rabbit stew or something but noooooooooo. lol women pft and not wanting to eat cute cuddly things!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Me and my buddy got one out in sutherlin in october, a cotton tail, we fried it up with some quail.

M
Mike123
Outdoor_Myers said:
my girlfriend said I can not hunt rabbit or squirrel :( but I would love a nice rabbit stew or something but noooooooooo. lol women pft and not wanting to eat cute cuddly things!

That's when you say your going "quail" hunting. Then you say "well this furry beast attacked the dog honey!" as you bring home a rabbit.

D
dlopdx
Rabbit Hunting

Hey there! new member and old rabbit hunter. EE Wilson near Monmouth has rabbits, shotgun and steel shot only, about a hour south of Portland. I am also looking to safe hunters to go rabbit hunting, you guys ever go hunting by yourself? i've been a little worried to go alone,maybe no big deal. anyone want to go to EE Wilson?

O
Outdoor_Myers
The oregon hunting safety course seems a little different then what I'm use to. In Iowa they had one every so often and it would be held in each county. I don't even know where clackamas is I think thats where it said I would have to go for a field day :( maybe by april I will have a job and the money to go do it.

J
juggernaut506
Christmas tree farms in the foothills around Philomath usually have good numbers of jackrabbits. It's best to use dogs for them though since some will hide under the trees and let you walk by. Also if you have dogs you can go up in the mountains and shoot snowshoe hares. Central and Eastern Oregon is the best though. You can shoot hundreds of jackrabbits on the edges of alfalfa fields at night then during the day shoot a couple dozen cottontails by walking the lava piles.

T
Troutier Bassier
Arlington is my place. Winter time hunting is best for rabbits. A lot of fun.

C
CFishRun
EE Wilson? Is that National Forest Land?

Also, hunting the Christmas Trees? Public Land owners would have no problem with me chasing rabbits out there?

I can't eat a jack rabbit? Why not? Do they taste worse than Pronghorn?

I think I might just find some National Forest and jump some bunnies, what's the worst that could happen. Right?

Thanks for the info and yes I'm up for hunting rabbits with anyone but you've got to try it my way. No dogs, tough shots, quick shotgun drawing and the ability to walk for miles and miles up and around rugged terrain. I'll be the dog and sniff em out you just be ready to shoulder a rifle or climb into a thicket for me. This is the way I rabbit hunt. Bring plenty of shells, although one year I went 6 for 8 the couple times I was able to get out.

W
Warthog
I just went this last weekend outside of Burns Oregon. Which is on the East side if your not familiar. We shot a hand full during the day, walking the sage brush (in six inches of snow). We spent the late afternoon calling coyotes, which was fun, we had several close, but never got a good shot. On the drive out to pavement just after dark we shot maybe 10 or 15. Nothing like the days when a guy could shoot 500 in a weekend. From what I have heard the rabbit population is way down all over Oregon. If your interested in where we went I'd be happy to tell you in a PM. If anyone knows of a good place I'd love to hear from you, I am willing to drive!

T
Troutier Bassier
Yeah, I remember my dad and his friends used to go when i was a child and shoot like 20rabbits. Now were lucky if we can even get one.

J
joesnuffy
We've got rabbits all over around here. Extra fun to chase with my bow.

G
Gunner2004
Markcanby said:
I have some places in Eastern I may got to this spring for Jack's. You wouldnt want to eat them though. Last time we only got about 50 it was a bad night.:lol::lol:
Where is this spot?

N
NoHurry
CFishRun said:
Anybody have any leads to good public rabbit hunting grounds? Jack rabbit or cottontails. I loved hunting rabbits on my property in Michigan and miss the heck out of it. I would say I'd like to take a few people or meet some folks to join up for a shoot but the last time I did that I was almost shot. Literally at point blank range. So I will only rabbit hunt with someone who has taken their hunter safety course and passed. Rabbits have a way of running in between people and I like to know that the person across from me isn't following the rabbit's path with their muzzle as it crosses me in their line of sight. Also pulling the trigger on a firearm is NOT the appropriate way of testing to see if the safety is on.

Hunters Safety Course will not make an idiot safer to hunt with. Hopefully anyone you end up going with is a safe person to be around in the first place.

C
Cooper
Why the lack of cottontails? Move from PA recently and have yet to see one. We had a problem with an over abundance of coyotes.

D
DonF
CFishRun said:

You'd like to know that the person isn't following the rabbit with their muzzle? And you think a hunter safety course is going to guarantee that?