Questions!

I
igquick
My girlfriend and I are strongly considering buying some kayaks and we already know where we can get a good deal on some nice yaks. I know I have to get the shellfish license, but are there any other tips, tricks, or advice one kayaker can give me? Just want to be safe going out there and what not, and of course I'm planning on hooking on some carp with a yak and I could imagine getting tipped over by one.

Another question is that I am strongly considering fishing for sturgeon. Now the only reason I'm being stopped is how the heck are you supposed to cut 50lb fishing line? I mean I know you can use some kind of hand held hedge trimmer, probably a bolt cutter, or something that is really bulky that cuts; but I rather have something smaller and more hand held like a nail clipper. I use a nail clipper to cut all my fishing line up to 20 lbs but I know I will have an extremely hard time cutting 50 lb line or even anything smaller that is powerpro or spiderwire. I like to have my rigs with the least amount of excess line which is why I don't want to consider using a huge bolt cutter or a hand held hedge trimmer. I can't even cut 20 lb spider wire with my nail cutter, and it seems like that stupid line just disintegrates in the water; and powerpro "seems" similar.

Another problem I have, is when I use any pyramid sinkers or sinkers above 3 oz, they seem to come off when I cast them periodically which is extremely annoying and kind of expensive. Any tips?

Also, what is the simplist rig I can make for sturgeon including bait? My general idea is to make a helicopter type rig with a fairly large sinker, and a big barbless hook in which I just simply hook some sort of "easy" bait that stays on. Maybe use some string to tie it on the hook maybe?

E
eugene1
That sounds like a good cheap way to get out on the water! I say go for it.

In terms of your questions, all I can say is wait til bass or roger get a chance to respond!

Best,

M
mikeee2362
Scissors for braid. Use a mono drop line that is a lesser test breaking strength than your braid, and cast CAREFULLY.

B
Big3d
Mike has some good advise there, I ise a buck knife to cut my 50 lb braid. I would say use a good quality sinker slider with the little extra lip amd tie on that dropper line that way. Good luck, you seem to jave good instincts, just go for it

C_Run
C_Run
When you're in a kayak, "your butt follows your head". Words to remember. You should go on the northwestkayakanglers.com website and read some threads from the forum under the "For safety's sake" and "don't ask me how I know" headings. Lots of stories about safety there and you would be surprised about how many problems you can have in a kayak. They harp on safety a lot on that forum but it's a good thing. Check it out.

If you snag the bottom with 50lb. braid in a kayak, you are anchored and that's dangerous in current so you better have a way to cut the line fast.

I
igquick
@mikeee2362 @Big3d I bought a Rapala cutter specifically for cutting braid. I haven't used it yet, but I can't wait. Thanks for the tips

C_Run Thanks for the tips. I'm definitely going to keep my braid cutter with me and going to check out that website