Questions?

C
colbypearson
So i have been pretty bored with the weather and with more to come i decided to make a new thread lets use this thread to ask questions and share answers on baits and tackle and technique. So any questions on that stuff we can post here and anyone can answer. :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
colbypearson said:
So i have been pretty bored with the weather and with more to come i decided to make a new thread lets use this thread to ask questions and share answers on baits and tackle and technique. So any questions on that stuff we can post here and anyone can answer. :)

good idea colby. i have a question.. my favorite lake (usually for trout) has a large bass population now so i might as well fish for them. what is the best bait you find for largemouth in cool water near a tributairy? i have caught some smaller ones on little cleos and spinners but im looking for a fish thats atleast 2lbs to fight any suggestions?

brandon

C
colbypearson
brandon4455 said:
good idea colby. i have a question.. my favorite lake (usually for trout) has a large bass population now so i might as well fish for them. what is the best bait you find for largemouth in cool water near a tributairy? i have caught some smaller ones on little cleos and spinners but im looking for a fish thats atleast 2lbs to fight any suggestions?

brandon

with water in the low temps for the winter it is a tough gamble the big question is to go fast or slow each have big advantages or disadvantages.

hardbaits are a great tool in the winter but the problem is you are trying to get the fish to react to it, it is like setting off a trigger in theyre head to eat so they do sometimes you have to cover lots of water and hit them just right to get this effect baits to try would be, rattle traps in stained water, crankbaits diving to appropriate depths and for various conditions. it really helps to be able to locate fish before fishing reaction baits unless it is decent enough fishing to use it as a search bait witch can be a hot ticket for cold water bassin.

in my opinion the easier of the two would be soft baits the best baits for winter seem to be baits such as dropshots and darterheads with 4"-6" finesse worms going slow with pretty light weights, other baits that can catch fish could be senkos, shakyheads, and other finesse baits similar to those but my personal preferance is to use a big jig in the winter like a 3/8 oz - 1/2 oz big bodied jig with a big trailer like a reaction innovations beaver it really takes a lot of focus to fish these baits becuase you greatly diminish your bite ratio but you get bigger fish, you have to think of it as hibernation the fish still have to eat but they will be trying to find the best meal that is available that takes little energy, witch unfortunately for some means stocker trout ;) the trout are like sticks of butter! the bass wait behind cover and dart out inhaling these unsuspecting high in fat and protein meals, if this is the case use a swimbait such as a huddleston deluxe, fish it slow and even let it sit on the bottom for a few second then swim it a few feet...talk about a hard to fish bait, big swimbaits are really a test of an anglers mental ability to perservere for hours without so much as a tick but when you get bit by a big one its about as much of a rush the human body can stand (especially in a pontoon boat), anyways hope this helps give you a little more insight about winter bassin it takes lots of skill dedication and time to even get bit but for those willing it can pay off big. :pray: keep an open mind and wait it out if your one of the daring and willing.

brandon4455
brandon4455
colbypearson said:
with water in the low temps for the winter it is a tough gamble the big question is to go fast or slow each have big advantages or disadvantages.

hardbaits are a great tool in the winter but the problem is you are trying to get the fish to react to it, it is like setting off a trigger in theyre head to eat so they do sometimes you have to cover lots of water and hit them just right to get this effect baits to try would be, rattle traps in stained water, crankbaits diving to appropriate depths and for various conditions. it really helps to be able to locate fish before fishing reaction baits unless it is decent enough fishing to use it as a search bait witch can be a hot ticket for cold water bassin.

in my opinion the easier of the two would be soft baits the best baits for winter seem to be baits such as dropshots and darterheads with 4"-6" finesse worms going slow with pretty light weights, other baits that can catch fish could be senkos, shakyheads, and other finesse baits similar to those but my personal preferance is to use a big jig in the winter like a 3/8 oz - 1/2 oz big bodied jig with a big trailer like a reaction innovations beaver it really takes a lot of focus to fish these baits becuase you greatly diminish your bite ratio but you get bigger fish, you have to think of it as hibernation the fish still have to eat but they will be trying to find the best meal that is available that takes little energy, witch unfortunately for some means stocker trout ;) the trout are like sticks of butter! the bass wait behind cover and dart out inhaling these unsuspecting high in fat and protein meals, if this is the case use a swimbait such as a huddleston deluxe, fish it slow and even let it sit on the bottom for a few second then swim it a few feet...talk about a hard to fish bait, big swimbaits are really a test of an anglers mental ability to perservere for hours without so much as a tick but when you get bit by a big one its about as much of a rush the human body can stand (especially in a pontoon boat), anyways hope this helps give you a little more insight about winter bassin it takes lots of skill dedication and time to even get bit but for those willing it can pay off big. :pray: keep an open mind and wait it out if your one of the daring and willing.

wow...thats a mouthful..thanks for the input..i noticed they hide in the shallower water its about 3-8ft deep right at the side of the channel where the small trib is. they hide under the floating logs that are all over the place (coast range lake on a logging road) hopefully this will help me out im planning on using a bike to get up there when they close the gate during winter spring and summer. it's only open to motor vehicles during november it kinda sucks. thanks colby,

brandon

W
waco
can we ask any questions!!!

C
colbypearson
waco said:
can we ask any questions!!!

sure i would like to keep it to bass fishing and stuff, anyone can answer too or disagree and state theyre opinion etc.. :D

W
waco
tell us your best fihing story!!! your biggest bass ever maybe??

C
colbypearson
waco said:
tell us your best fihing story!!! your biggest bass ever maybe??

i posted that before i will dig up the thread and pm it to you :D

T
Throbbit _Shane
What gives a better presentation with senkos drop shots or having a bullet sinker above the worm?

when using drop shot how should u retrieve it

W
wozniasm
Brandon;
I haven't fished for bass out here but back east.
I used the following back at the Fox River in Illinois and swear by them. I tossed it into the fast water and recovered along the edge of the water where it became slack.
Phantom Orange minnowstick by Storm Lure Co.

Last edited:
B
bernduffy
Nice idea for a thread. So I'm targeting some 10-15" bass in a lake that are holding near structure AND coming to the surface to grab bait fish and the few insects that are still buzzing around. I like your suggestions, Colby. You mention fast retrieve (or trolling?) When do you try that? What lures do you use? I notice a lot of energy and speed in the bass that are breaking the surface. I'll bet a fast moving lure might get them to strike. (BTW: Water Temp has been 47-52)
I think we can stretch bass hunting season if we adjust. And I really know what you mean about patience and perseverance. Gotta hang in there!

J
Johnny Southpaw
Nice thread topic Colby. There is a very nice lake near Toledo which I've fished for trout on several occasions. On numerous occasions I've floated near the bank only to see schools of very big bass cruising. I'm talking 5-10 lbrs, and LOTS of them. I've tried throwing plastic worms, rapala minnows, spinnerbaits and jig-n-pig (jig-n-craw actually) combos with no luck. They seem to have lock jaw. Any ideas on why they won't bite or what I could do to get them to bite?

brandon4455
brandon4455
wozniasm said:
Brandon;
I haven't fished for bass out here but back east.
I used the following back at the Fox River in Illinois and swear by them. I tossed it into the fast water and recovered along the edge of the water where it became slack.
Phantom Orange minnowstick by Storm Lure Co.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)

brandon

C
colbypearson
Throbbit _Shane said:
What gives a better presentation with senkos drop shots or having a bullet sinker above the worm?

when using drop shot how should u retrieve it

senkos are ment to be fished weightless for the most part although you can catch fish with them on a texas rig with a buller sinker, they have the wobble on the way down that really estices the bite, another good way to fish these worms is on a flick shake rig a jighead with a small size 1-1/0 hook 1/8 oz-1/4 oz is preferred this rig is my favorite way to fish suspended bass it is the same concept as a wacky rig but how the jighead goes through the water it greatly inhances the wobble of the senko, on a dropshot i wouldnt use senkos much although i prefer worms i like using lighter worms such as roboworms, or mothers finest, proworms, etc... these worms are hand poured out of softer plastic that floats so it has the right action and can suspend above the bottom a little better that some thing salty heavy such as a senko, with a dropshot i tie a palomar knot to a size 1-1/0 owner mosquito hook or a owner down shot hook , gamakatsu splitshot dropshot hooks work as well in the rig, so you tie a palomar know to the hook leaving a lot of slack on the bottom part of the hook you take the slack and put it into the top of the hook eye so the barb is facing upwards and pull it down so the hook will be upright 100% of the time increasing hookup ratio, then tie a bass casting sinker if you are on a tight budget or a dropshot weight such as a ball weight from 1/8-1/2 oz normally or a pencil dropshot weight i attach it 8"-14" beneath the hook in the same increments when im in open water or rocks i nose hook my plastics on and if im in cover i use the owner chemically sharpened hook and texas rig them...

i cast out pitch out if theres fish under the boat i can just drop an drag it and then once on the bottom shake it let it sit on a pretty tight line or hop it let the fish tell you what they want hope this helps. :)

colby

Last edited:
F
Finneus Polebender
I have got to grow some patience and stick to the jigs and swimbaits ! Thinking the winter time might just do it for me can't get the bites on my other go to stuff ! will definitely try some of the other drop shot and weighted texas rigged methods you spoke of . The fish seem to be deeper now or at least suspended in the lower part of the shallows. Might help to let those swim baits hit bottom every now and then have not been fishin them that way. Thanks for the great advise Colby!

T
tomriker
Finneus Polebender said:
I have got to grow some patience and stick to the jigs and swimbaits !
like last time you were out and said you were going to throw the big bait ALL day! and you ended up casting it like 4 times? lol

C
colbypearson
tomriker said:
like last time you were out and said you were going to throw the big bait ALL day! and you ended up casting it like 4 times? lol

im bad about never setting them down, i have gone 10 hours without switching rods with only a bite or two hahaha i like getting the big bite and putting her in the boat.

C
colbypearson
bernduffy said:
Nice idea for a thread. So I'm targeting some 10-15" bass in a lake that are holding near structure AND coming to the surface to grab bait fish and the few insects that are still buzzing around. I like your suggestions, Colby. You mention fast retrieve (or trolling?) When do you try that? What lures do you use? I notice a lot of energy and speed in the bass that are breaking the surface. I'll bet a fast moving lure might get them to strike. (BTW: Water Temp has been 47-52)
I think we can stretch bass hunting season if we adjust. And I really know what you mean about patience and perseverance. Gotta hang in there!

if theyre hitting the surface still try a popper such as a skitter pop by rapala or another popper bait, if that doesn't work maybe try slow sinking plastics such as smaller senkos by gary yamamoto or trick worms by zoom weightless should work, you can cast on a fish you see blow up on the water and catch them... maybe try a small zoom fluke if they ar eating on baitfish also.

F
Finneus Polebender
tomriker said:

I admitted I had no patience LOL had a feeling you might call me out!

F
Finneus Polebender
colbypearson said:
im bad about never setting them down, i have gone 10 hours without switching rods with only a bite or two hahaha i like getting the big bite and putting her in the boat.

Gonna have to buck up if I am gonna catch one of them hogs like you be postin!