Questions on springer rigging

B
bakercity
Can some of you folks explain what size and what color of kwik-fish to use for springer fishing in the lower CR and Willy? Also curious about how to rig to line?
Thanks
bakercity

D
DrTheopolis
Been meaning to ask this myself, both for trolling and on anchor. I know I've seen guys running a jet diver then the Kwik. I know little about fishing the big rivers for springers, and have always targeted them in the Clack.

What's the best depth to target in the OC area?

O
OnTheDrop
On the Willy I target 12-25ft of water while back trolling. Jet diver rigged as a slider on mainline & a 4-6ft leader to a K13-15 kwikky. Chartruesse, Green, Reds. They all catch. Just make sure they are tuned and not going one way or the other.

Fish onnn

D
DrTheopolis
In my limited bigwater fishing, that's how we did it. I would think that would work on anchor, as well?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Mainline to triple swivel, 4'-5' leader to KF off swivel, 8" dropper to diver off swivel.

This allows you to put the diver on and off as needed for depth.

D
DrTheopolis
Again, I know little, but we've used a snap swivel with ~10" of dropper to the diver, and snap it over the mainline, above the barrel swivel with a bumper-bead. Easy on/OFF, and retains sensitivity, being a slider... bearing in mind I know little beyond flatlining plugs.

What depth of jet diver do you use?

D
DrTheopolis
Also, how much line out?

I've done just enough fishing in OC to know if you get a bunch of line out, you "meet" a lot of your fellow anglers.

O
OnTheDrop
Between 70-90ft in OC I'd say. Every place is a bit different. Big diver out there and the 20's on smaller systems.

For anchor I'd run the set up with 3ft for a dropper to whatever weight necessary to hold to bottom. This is what we do if we want to anchor in the beginning of season, but primarily use a prawn/spinner rig. Dynamite. I'd say Kwikfish work a little better when the season gets going a bit. Bait and then hardware is usually the routine.

Love me some kwikfish action, but there's something about back bouncing that has my heart these days..

O
OnTheDrop
Also, if you want to flatline and cut the diver out of the picture the 4.5 MagLip does pretty well.

D
DrTheopolis
Diver isn't as good for anchor fishing, I assume? I ask because I try to avoid using lead as much as possible, since it's kinda poisonous (I'm not on a crusade to make anyone else stop using lead, just doing what I can by myself).

D
DrTheopolis
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Also, if you want to flatline and cut the diver out of the picture the 4.5 MagLip does pretty well.

I've done it with K15s, but even with the Maglip 4.5, I don't think they dive more than 15-17 feet.

O
OnTheDrop
I can get the 3.5s in some good current to hit the 14-15ft mark by themselves. I'm pretty sure the 4.5's can clear 20. Either way, 15-17ft will work.

I wouldn't say divers don't work for anchor, but lead as a dropper will assure you are in the zone.

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
SteelmonKiller20 said:
On the Willy I target 12-25ft of water while back trolling. Jet diver rigged as a slider on mainline & a 4-6ft leader to a K13-15 kwikky. Chartruesse, Green, Reds. They all catch. Just make sure they are tuned and not going one way or the other.

Fish onnn

jamisonace said:
Mainline to triple swivel, 4'-5' leader to KF off swivel, 8" dropper to diver off swivel.

This allows you to put the diver on and off as needed for depth.

Tanner and Jamie are the two best plug fisherman I personally know. I would trust that advice for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
E
eugene1
Like the blood Pic!

You can also anchor up and run plugs out the back. Pretty easy and deadly. We run a sliding sinker above the leader, use weight as necessary to get your plugs down. Silver and chart, or double trouble pattern kwiks are good, and all I run.

Barbed trebles seem to bring more in but if you are in a barbless area, keep legal.

Good luck to you,

troutmasta said:
Tanner and Jamie are the two best plug fisherman I personally know. I would trust that advice for sure.

B
bakercity
eugene1 said:
Like the blood Pic!

You can also anchor up and run plugs out the back. Pretty easy and deadly. We run a sliding sinker above the leader, use weight as necessary to get your plugs down. Silver and chart, or double trouble pattern kwiks are good, and all I run.

Barbed trebles seem to bring more in but if you are in a barbless area, keep legal.

Good luck to you,
Can you tell me what brand, test and color of line to use when fishing the kwiks and the 4.5's?
Additionally, what reel and rod length?
Thanks again

O
OnTheDrop
Where are you going to fish more of Baker?

O
OnTheDrop
bakercity said:
Can you tell me what brand, test and color of line to use when fishing the kwiks and the 4.5's?
Thanks again

For a general set up I would get a 8'6-9' Medium/Heavy to Heavy rod and run 65lb power pro ( 16lb mono diameter ) to 30lb mono leader. I use Maxima Ultragreen.

E
eugene1
Steelmon has about what I use, but don't make it too complicated! They are just fish with a very small brain. People have used all kinds of stuff to get them over the past 100 years.

Best,

bakercity said:
Thanks again

jamisonace
jamisonace
There is no "right" way as Eugene1 alluded but I use high vis 30lb mono for mainline and 20lb p-line for leader. I like to be able to see my line easily while plugging.

All my plug rods, both salmon and steelhead are 8'6". Salmon rods are 15-50lbs. All my salmon reels are ambassadeur 6501.

I have back bounced kwikfish too. In that case I use my 15-50 7'9" rods with the same line and reels.

eugene1 said:
Steelmon has about what I use, but don't make it too complicated! They are just fish with a very small brain. People have used all kinds of stuff to get them over the past 100 years.

Best,