Questions about Deschutes River

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
So i may be moving to bend in the near future and i don't know ANYTHING about the Deschutes River, so my questions are, is the river a fly fishing only river? i know there is trout but what else is there? do they get a salmon run? i am completely clueless of this river so any info would be appreciated :hi:

S
Snopro
Not just flyfishing, many methods are effective. Mostly browns and rainbows near Bend. If you fish downstream of Warmsprings you will find steelhead and chinook at the right time of year. Most people think of the Deschutes as having an upper, middle and lower section with different personalities.

S
Socaaron
Certain sections of the river are regulated on what you can use. Most of the river is artificial only(flies/lures/gear) Near bend you're looking at just trout options. If you want to target Salmon/Steelhead you need to go to the lower river ( recommend Maupin to the mouth). Just check the regs for more detailed info, and look through past posts for best times/ gear options for those nontrout options. Deschutes river report put out by the maupin fly shop can be quite helpful for conditions and catch reports

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Thanks for that info, very helpful

F
Fishpdx
you can catch suckers and whitefish. I'm sure because I went there 2 saturdays ago and caught them on nymphs. right off the highway in warm springs.

K
kolarvandal
Some of the best summer steelhead fishing in the world

W
Willerman
Metolius is a trib of the Deschutes and offers some great angling.

1 nut in the water
GoBlueFan said:
So i may be moving to bend in the near future and i don't know ANYTHING about the Deschutes River, so my questions are, is the river a fly fishing only river? i know there is trout but what else is there? do they get a salmon run? i am completely clueless of this river so any info would be appreciated :hi:

WHAT?
Wtf you thinking Willis?

Aervax
Aervax
Hey Goblue. The Bend area has endless fishing opps that go beyond the Deschutes. Go to Google Earth and check out all of the lakes and streams in the area. I was up there last weekend, cold snowy and rainy with occasional brief spats of sunshine. I did not bother with the Deschutes. I hit the Crooked River and Prineville Reservoir. The Crooked was turbid and high and marginally fishable. No bites in an hour of fishing. I went up to the Reservoir to try for bass with a plastic worm. Still too cold for them. Only caught one in the back of a calm cove where the sun could get through to warm the water and the bottom. In another quiet cove a little later on I landed a 22" rainbow, while trying to catch bass with a plastic worm. I couldn't live in Bend, because I would be playing hooky from work to go fishing all the time. If you like to fish, living in Bend would be an awesome place.