Questions about catching some triploids

T
tomriker
we stocked 1000 or so triploid trout in our pond almost 5 years ago now, when we put them in they were 20 inches each, we have yet to catch one. anyone have some suggestions they can PM how to go after them? usually i just target bass in the pond so im not sure what to try for the trout. who knows maybe if what you give me advice on to try and it works i may invite you out to my little honeyhole! thanks for any advice in advance

T
TTFishon
I'd try trolling some 1/16 oz Thomas lures. Since the only rules are your rules you can try trolling a wooly bugger on another pole at the same time.

brandon4455
brandon4455
bubble and fly or rooster tails and little cleo's

B
Bad Tuna
Right now it's a little cold for spinners on the trout, but they could produce. Power bait would be the best bet, but there's always a chance of swallowing a hook. If you have a boat, id try a very slow troll of small Rapalas or flatfish. I'd concentrate around any inlets/outlets on your lake, also any shallow areas on sunny days will warm up faster for winter bug hatches. If flyfishing is your thing, big dark flies like woolly buggers should work well. If all else fails, bring along a 5 year old, they seem to be pretty lucky when not hung up in a tree!

T
TTFishon
I forgot to give you some colors. I'd troll the copper with red, black, and yellow spots or the chrome with red, black, and yellow spots.

F
fish4life
If there are crawdads in your pond I would troll a rebel crawdad lure, not one of the huge ones. When we were invited to fish a private lake with 16-20 inch fish we cut the stomachs open on the fish and the larger ones had up to 3 crawdads in their stomach.

H
halibuthitman
how deep is the pond.. and how big? and have you seen any lately? if you have tried for more than an hour and not caught one... I imagine its becouse you no longer have any, 20% mortality a year for five years... But there could be 100 or 1... and I would LOVE to drive down and give it a crack! But if bringing in a hitman to catch one isn't on your agenda.. I suggest a nice sized gob of cured roe under a bobber should turn one up in under half an hour- Brad

T
tomriker
if they were dying, wouldn't we atleast see signs of dead ones? pond is 150-200 acers 30-50ft dep in spots i guess i could just take the boat out and throw 10 poles out in all directions with differant baits, would prefer not to have to kill em though. ill have to try trolling a thomas and a bugger or small rapala, these nice days have been making me want to get out and try to catch one

H
halibuthitman
tomriker said:
if they were dying, wouldn't we atleast see signs of dead ones? pond is 150-200 acers 30-50ft dep in spots i guess i could just take the boat out and throw 10 poles out in all directions with differant baits, would prefer not to have to kill em though. ill have to try trolling a thomas and a bugger or small rapala, these nice days have been making me want to get out and try to catch one

oh.. man.. thats a lake! im sure some must be around.. I was picturing.. well... a pond-

brandon4455
brandon4455
i thoguht you were talking about a small pond to but man! thats big id be stocking that thing every time i had the money!!

F
fish4life
If your going to use bait use a barbless circle hook should lessen mortality.

C
colbypearson
so when i come visit you i gotta get some 20" triploid swimbaits or what LOL

good luck with the triploids hope you find them!

T
tomriker
we got all kinds of fish, large mouth bass, perch, BIG black crappie, bluegills, cats, trouts. we tried stocking it with crawdads, as fish food, but i don't think they ever took off. next my grandpa wants to throw a few hundred sturgeon in there lol. TTfishon has been here a time or too, i never call it a lake though. it's just "the pond" to my family and to anything trying to be sneaky on google maps, we've already had a hand full of trespassers arrested so don't get any ideas!

T
tomriker
ha, we had to get tripliods that big so the bass wouldn't eat em. we were worried if we got much smaller it would just be an expensive bass feast!

T
TTFishon
tomriker said:

If they died I'd think that you would've seen at least a couple of them floating around. Unless of course the big cats get them before you have a chance to see one.:think:

I suppose you could try the power bait or roe ideas and cut the leader if the fish swallows it. I'd try lures first though. Good luck!

G
GDBrown
Have you tried putting a boat on the lake with a fish finder to see where they might be. The signature on the finder would be different than a bass I would think. If you put them in at 20" five years ago did you EVER try and catch one? If not why not? If so why did you take so long to ask for help. LOL

T
tomriker
we've just never targeted them. we only ever target bass, and fish where bass like to hang out never anywhere else. and since it's winter and im not as hardcore as colby, can't really bass fish so i figured why not try and catch some of these trouts for the next few months?

brandon4455
brandon4455
lets hope you get into some fish. let us know how ya do when you try it .

F
Fishermen Jim
Tomriker, Try velveta cheese, also don't expect knock your socks of hits.

H
Hawk
Try slowly trolling a gold lil cleo, or a Rapala with blue gill features.

Good Luck Bro :)