Question...spawned-out salmon

Y
Yohan
I was fishing the Wilson today and saw a fish that was definitely not acting like a normal steelhead. This fish was in the shallows and was taking it's time going up river, like a spawed-out salmon. I put a streamer in front of it's face 5 times and it didn't even react. From my experience, when you put a streamer in front of a steelhead or trout they do one of two things: hit it or scatter.

My question, is it possible that there is still some late run spawned-out salmon in the Wilson?

I just started fishing this river a month ago, so I don't know much about it yet. One thing I have learned is that you have to cover a lot of water to be successful in that river because there are tons of good holes (ie steelhead holding water) and they could be anywhere. Today I fished between mm 17 and 21. I had one fish snap me off immediately (bad knot or nick in line) and moved one other fish, but that was it. It rained like a SOB, but it was still fun.

B
bmac_0021
I know exactly what you're talking about. About the same time last year, I saw the same thing. It was definitely a salmon or a monster steely but it was on its last few days for sure.

Im heading up there tomorrow bright and early rain or shine. Water levels are rising and it will top out at about 6.5 feet by 10pm tomorrow night so fishing the edges is a must for tomorrow since the steelies tend to go near shore when water levels rise. I sure hope the water stays clear :confused:

B
beaverfan
I would say it's probably a really late fall chinook. How big was it? If it was a steelhead and it was in that bad of shape it would probably be a summer run fish and probably be very skinny.

H
halibuthitman
im pretty sure chinook have some level of presence in the river at least 10 months a year..

M
Mike123
I seen a couple coho spawned out, about to die in the Alsea not too long ago...

Y
Yohan
It definitely wasn't a spawned summer run, I've caught those skinny suckers before. It didn't look big enough to be a chinook, unless it was a dying jack. My thoughts were that is was a "christmas coho"
Anyways, I think Wed. is the next time I'm gonna be able to go fish. Still deciding between the Wilson and the Salmonberry (never fished the Salmonberry before, but heard it was good).

Tight Lines

K
Kodiak
There are a few rivers in the state that are 12 month nook returners. The wilson is one of them....maybe at the top, maybe at the tide water, but they are always there. The possibility of coho or a nook would be pretty high.