Question regarding rain

I
IdahoNative
I was hoping to hit the Wilson this weekend but had a question due to the recent weather. When I looked earlier this week the river was at about 5'. Now, after the constant rain, it is at 6.64'. Rain is in the forecast for the rest of the week with current predictions having it lower back to around 6' by the weekend. I have heard that it is best to wait a couple of days after the rain to fish, but will it be too poor to go out this weekend?

I have been using the National Weather Service for my information: http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?gage=tlmo3&wfo=pqr

Thanks for the help

T
TimberTodd
If it drops to the 6' range I would fish it. If the river looks a little high lower down, move up river. Good luck!

B
Big3d
By this point you can use the entire river and still have good odds, Todd's advice is great. Either way, if it doesn't shoot way up you should be able to find some fish. Good luck.

B
bubs
It's gonna be blown. No fish. Icy roads. Wet clothes. You all might as well stay at home this weekend. I'll take one for the team and go scout it out, and then I'll let you all know what I seen. ;)

C
ChezJfrey
bubs said:
It's gonna be blown. No fish. Icy roads. Wet clothes. You all might as well stay at home this weekend. I'll take one for the team and go scout it out, and then I'll let you all know what I seen. ;)

You are very brave bubs and we appreciate your courage and sacrifice :) I heard lots of bears and cougars are attacking people on the river...and landslides taking out cars on the road. I think there were some reports of sasquatch attacks and possible abductions...also something about bubonic plague spreading throughout the Wilson area.

Too bad, because otherwise, TimberTodd, Big3d and rogerdodger are probably correct about the conditions this weekend and how to approach it.

T
troutmasta
You want to fish the Wilson between five and six feet. Preferably when the water is dropping from seven or eight feet... just like this weekend.

I
IdahoNative
ChezJfrey said:
You are very brave bubs and we appreciate your courage and sacrifice :) I heard lots of bears and cougars are attacking people on the river...and landslides taking out cars on the road. I think there were some reports of sasquatch attacks and possible abductions...also something about bubonic plague spreading throughout the Wilson area.

Too bad, because otherwise, TimberTodd, Big3d and rogerdodger are probably correct about the conditions this weekend and how to approach it.

OH NO!:yikes: That sounds great guys... please scout it out for me.

On a more serious note, that is actually something I was wondering about. What is the bear population like out there? I'm not worried about it, just curious.

C
ChezJfrey
IdahoNative said:
OH NO!:yikes: That sounds great guys... please scout it out for me.

On a more serious note, that is actually something I was wondering about. What is the bear population like out there? I'm not worried about it, just curious.

I'm sure there are a few out there...somewhere. I've never seen one, or evidence of one, but I recall a member here captured a photo of a black bear while out at the Wilson not too long ago...like maybe within the last year.

I
IdahoNative
ChezJfrey said:
I'm sure there are a few out there...somewhere. I've never seen one, or evidence of one, but I recall a member here captured a photo of a black bear while out at the Wilson not too long ago...like maybe within the last year.

That would be awesome to see one... from a distance

P
pinstriper
Bears pretty much leave you alone as you are not an easy mea...no, that's not true. If a bear wants you, it is all too easy to take you and eat you. And if a black bear bothers to attack you, he is about guaranteed to be doing it for the food.

Anyway, you are much more likely to attract a hungry bear with a fresh fish laying at your feet, or by surprising one on the hike in/out to a remote piece of bank.

B
BaldTexan
Saw fresh bear tracks on the Wilson 2 weeks ago and some last summer on the Nestucca. Haven't seen a bear yet though. Y'all better all stay home. I also volunteer to risk life and limb scouting the river conditions this weekend. Don't risk it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
bubs
Sorry to add to this thread diversion, but wanted to post a little light reading....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

This and other similar lists/stories corroborate what pinstriper is saying about the rare, but definitely very much real, predatory/stalking black bear behavior.

((Sidenote (re: the above link) --- August 13th, 1967 was apparently a terrible night to be camping in Glacier NP...))

C
ChezJfrey
pinstriper said:
Bears pretty much leave you alone as you are not an easy mea...no, that's not true. If a bear wants you, it is all too easy to take you and eat you. And if a black bear bothers to attack you, he is about guaranteed to be doing it for the food.

Anyway, you are much more likely to attract a hungry bear with a fresh fish laying at your feet, or by surprising one on the hike in/out to a remote piece of bank.

Well there we go...perfect. Don't go out to the Wilson, because black bears. And if you do, for heaven's sake, don't catch a fish, whatever you do. Works for me...if you all follow that advice ;)

S
seaslayer
wilson was still Poo brown this morning. off and on rain all day didn't help it. river height isn't the only thing to consider when planning a trip.