Question on P-line Hydro Float

jhop111
jhop111
I picked up a spool of 20# P-line for float fishing. This stuff seems like it should be fished with a leader of some kind. SO thats my question, who uses this stuff straight to the jig or will it fish better with a leader. I don't know if steelies are leader shy or not.

18406ej
18406ej
I love the P-line Hydro Float for float fishing with a jig, but I do not know if Steelhead are leader shy or not. Regardless I do use a leader anytime using this line just in case.

R
RunWithSasquatch
You will definatly need to use leader material to the jig, usually 15 inches is sufficient. I

Diehard
Diehard
tie on 7 or 10 feet of your favorite mono line i use 12lb ultra green and that will give you enough length for adjusting your bobber stop to the depths you will be fishing while also keeping all that yellow line above your bobber and not down by the fishes if your fishing deeper than 7 to 10 foot holes than add length according to depth you fish i usually add a few extra feet longer than the depth im fishing for ocassional break offs that way your not constantly tying up new line to the hydro float hope this helps works good for me

A
Anyfishisfine
Let us know how it works out. I was going to buy some for my float rod, but the guy at Fisherman's gave me a wave-off. He said if I use a slip bobber (which I do), that the line would saw right through the foam float. He recommended a fixed float when using it. I would like some independent verification of this. Now that you spent the $$$, all eyes are on you :)

I really love the idea of a floating line. I coat my current braid (fireline I think) with mucilin, but that only helps an hour or so, and I have to re-apply it. It does keep the line from sinking though, and makes the line a breeze to dress.

F
fishkiller
I run the P-line Hydrofloat on my jig rod with a flouro carbon leader to the jig. I love the stuff easy to see and helps with drift.

T
Team CF
Can you use this stuff to drift fish as well? I only have 1 steelhead rod at the moment so its going to have to do double duty.

F
fish fear the willy
Team CF said:
Can you use this stuff to drift fish as well? I only have 1 steelhead rod at the moment so its going to have to do double duty.

wont work to well for drift fishing it floats to well it would make getting to the bottom harder

J
JeannaJigs
I started using this line in December and I can say steelhead are not shy about yellow line in the water. That said I still run about three feet of p line cxx leader, 8 or 10 pound, whatever I'm carrying that day. Be very careful with hooksets. There is no forgiveness and no stretch, I learned the hard way that I have to be more mindful of my drag and it needs to be way looser than it would be with mono. I was ready to tear it off my line and go back to my regular braid but I'm gong to try it at least one more trip.

jhop111
jhop111
agreed and tested it out last thursday. I had some cxx 10lb and used it as leader. One point I would like to make is that some people say the yellow coating wears off easy and some don't have any complaints. I can get the coating to rub off under extreme circumstances but under normal use this seems to be a good specialty line. I would only use a quality split shot and not the hollow core lead with this line if you attach to it and not the leader. It makes it much easier to mend on the water without disturbing the drift. I used 4-5 ft of leader and had one hang up and it broke at the leader like it should. I even drifted some flies with a taperd leader and got the only fish of the day doing this. I could not have done that with mono, or even a fly rod due to me being on the bank.

J
JeannaJigs
The yellow does come off pretty easily. I use the thill orange and black fixed floats and where I wrapped it around the float wore off when I adjusted the depth, but who cares, cause it's under water :) with proper drag adjustment it worked awesome today, and made up for all the lost fish. For laughs I tried rigging my backup lamiglas that's got a reel spooled with 12# mono and tried using that for a float rod today so I'd have two different jigs rigged ready to go, and holy crap it been years since I used mono and it SUCKS going back to it. I heart braid and hydrofloat for float applications!!