Question about the runs and rain or lack of

A
alm21
Being new to the salmon/steelhead scene, I'm trying to understand trends and timing for hitting the rivers. I have a question for you veterans. Considering how little rain we have received in late September and October, is it plausible that there could be a "late" push of salmon into the rivers if we receive some substantial rain? Are fish holding waiting for the right amount of water or will they make the run regardless? If my question is zone specific then I would say that I am asking about the Willamette and NW zones.

R
rippin fish lips
yeah salmon and steelhead hold up in the colder waters on the coast/tidewater, The next rain will push more salmon in and further upstream, summer steelhead are coming up the willy right now into town (eugene/springfield).

troutdude
troutdude
Correct. They hold for 2 reasons: higher water flow (so they can navigate the obstacles upstream), and water temperature (generally needs to be in the 50's as I recall).

Right now, the water is too low. And I've seen reports of water temps in the 60's. Plus, there have been many reports of dark fish in the higher stretches of streams. As well as reports of fresh fish still in tidewaters and bays.

Last edited:
R
rippin fish lips
troutdude said:
Correct. They hold for 2 reasons: higher water flow (so they can navigate the obstacles upstream), and water temperature (generally needs to be in the 50's as I recall).

Right now, the water is too low. And I've seen reports of water temps in the 60's. Plus, there have been many reports of dark fish in the higher stretches of streams. As well as reports of fresh fish still in tidewaters and bays.

yeeeuupp! hittin the slaw tomorrow morning

A
alm21
Thanks for the info. It will be interesting to see what happens going into next week.