Question About The Power Of My Truck

T

TTFishon

I'm thinking about buying a 15 ft camp trailer but I don't know if my truck is strong enough to pull it. I have a 99 Ford Ranger v6 4.0L. Does anyone know if a 15 ft camp trailer would be too much weight for my truck?

S

SALTYFISH

I think you would be good bro! Maybe try pullin it before u by it

G

GMR

I would lookup the tow rating for your truck and check the weight of the trailer...

G

GDBrown

Yes

Yes

I would lookup the tow rating for your truck and check the weight of the trailer...

I third the motion!

That is the correct way to do it. BUT since your truck is not new I would take 90% of the rated towing capacity and use that.:think:

GD

C

capblack

yep, check the rating as they said, if its a newer model youll be fine, if its a real old one with wood framing, it will be pushing it. Brian

T

TTFishon

I'll check the ratings in the morning and get the weight from him tomorrow. I feel like it'll be pushing it no matter what the ratings say that's why I'm asking.

B

bigdog

Would for sure check the rattings but I think you would be ok but a lot better to be safe then sorry.

M

Markcanby

I would also do a search to see if people have problems with teh Head Gaskets on those. Thats the down fall of most smaller engines to much pressure in the head when under a load.

T

the_intimidator03

i do not believe the 4.0 OHV ranger engine suffered much from head gasket issues, Pretty solid motor from what ive heard besides usually eatting gas. As for your transmission TT im not sure if you have an auto or stick but look into trans coolers especially if auto.

T

TTFishon

I would also do a search to see if people have problems with teh Head Gaskets on those. Thats the down fall of most smaller engines to much pressure in the head when under a load.

Thanks Mark. Information like that is good to know. I will check into it.

T

TTFishon

i do not believe the 4.0 OHV ranger engine suffered much from head gasket issues, Pretty solid motor from what ive heard besides usually eatting gas. As for your transmission TT im not sure if you have an auto or stick but look into trans coolers especially if auto.

It's an automatic.

T

the_intimidator03

ok well either you have the 4r55e trans or the 5r55e trans.. the first being 4 speed the 2nd being 5 speed. Should be good but i would recommend an aftermarket transmission cooler for ANY towing, It is better safe than sorry. And for known issues with the 4.0 in the ranger... here ya go The Ford Ranger 4.0L Engine - The Ranger Station

I hope this helps you out

and a little more digging
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Fall2003/TowingTrailers.htm

If i was there i could tell ya the figures you need

T

TTFishon

ok well either you have the 4r55e trans or the 5r55e trans.. the first being 4 speed the 2nd being 5 speed. Should be good but i would recommend an aftermarket transmission cooler for ANY towing, It is better safe than sorry. And for known issues with the 4.0 in the ranger... here ya go The Ford Ranger 4.0L Engine - The Ranger Station

I hope this helps you out

and a little more digging
TRS Magazine - Towing Trailers

If i was there i could tell ya the figures you need

Thanks intimidator. I appreciate it.

Top Bottom