question about stuff

N
nwkiller
Has anyone ever trolled the tide water for winter steelhead.
do they just shoot like a bat outta hell right through the tide water into the river mouths?
Ive hooked steelhead in tide water in astoria while trolling for coho.
so im wondering if anyone know if they hangout long in the tide water, do people not fish the winter tide water much because of water level dangers, or is it useless....

thanks for any inputs

(im picturing trolling mapleton tide water for them....an example of tide water type...)

S
SantiamDrifter
Steelhead dont hold in tide water. If you have a big high tide they will shoot right through to the lower river. But in early winter late fall I do see a few hooked while fishing for salmon. Maybe if you have a small tide change or a minus tide you can get them in some of the deeper holes.

N
nwkiller
thanks a lot SD! that defenetly explains alittle

B
BobbiDollPDX
Could you have picked a title that was a little more vague. I almost had an idea (but not really) of what this thread was about before opening it :lol:

C
crusty old fisherman
i would think with really low water levels they might stack up at the head of tide water. I know the old man that has the house on the corner before it goes through the narrows below farnum is actually in tide water and he plunks for them on outgoing tide so they can be caught in tide water.

N
nwkiller
bobbi...now that u mention it...does sound funny lol, stuff as in steelhead!! lol

N
nwkiller
thanks OCF, i might plan it out, time it just right and try somethin...thanks

C
crusty old fisherman
i know when the water is real low you can anchor just above tidewater and drift fish the flats there and get them as they move through but when the river is low it really affects the flow up to the riffle down stream of the gauging station the guaging station I believe its called walker riffle

N
nwkiller
well i was possibly trying to go down farther just below mapleton troll up and down see what becomes...

C
crusty old fisherman
yeah i am not sure how productive that would be. I have heard of guys catching them in the puget sound area in tide water with a bobber nd eggs though

H
halibuthitman
during periods of no rain steel will move into the first mile of a river and back out again on high tide, ive also done very well fishing the salt at the mouth of rivers in alaska early before the runs really take off.