Question about rod re-building

troutdude
troutdude
Is it difficult--or impossible--to take the handle OFF of a rod and convert it either from a spin rod into a fly rod? What about the other way around...from a fly rod into a spin rod? (Fly peeps, don't beat me up for asking that please).

H
halibuthitman
its possible to convert a fly rod to a spin rod, but spin rods make lousy fly rods, the taper is very different on fly blanks than on a spin or casting blank.

M
Modest_Man
I have limited experience so far with it but I'd say yes, quite difficult. You're going to destroy the old handle regardless and it's going to be really hard to get the old epoxy all off without damaging the blank. It's possible though.

R
Razz
Check Batson or Mudhole and start with the right blank and you will be happy with the new rod. So many times we try and save a buck that ends costing much more.

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks guys. All great points and suggestions.

I have chance to buy a rod. The rod is marked like a UL spin rod (1 - 4 pound test line), instead of Line Wt. like a fly rod would. But here's the twist...the serial # makes it look like a fly rod (w/ an "F" in the number). And it has a fly rod handle.

I've been collecting, buying, selling, using rods for 45 years, and I've never run across this before. I have one of the very same rods in a true spin rod model. So, that's why I was thinking about removing the fly handle and converting back to a spin rod...so I'd have a matching set of spin rods.

My guess is that it was a spin blank, that someone converted into a fly rod. I wouldn't mind having the rod stay that way, if it had the action and worked like a fly rod should. Any other thoughts?