Question about non-license fishing help

F
FunFishClub
I just got the girl a license and tags today but waiting to buy my PAC license next week. Can I throw for her if she fishes it or can I not even hold a pole? I have last years on me but I'm waiting to get the PAC. Thanks OFFrs

S
skunk
I'd say no, just to be safe. Really not worth having the warden mistake your efforts.

B
bigdog
Play it safe and wait for yours before touching a rod man. Better to be safe then sorry that could turn in to one spendy helping hand lol.

CJ

C
capblack
if you cast it, they could give you a ticket for fishing, although it would be pretty unlikely.

F
FunFishClub
thankyou OFF

thankyou OFF

I appreciate the responses. I guess this is a considered a chance to let her cast. Love, LOVE my OFFre's

troutdude
troutdude
I would think, that a game warden would view you as fishing without a license. And their IS a fine for that, because it IS illegal.

Personally, I would not take that chance.

G
Growbug
He He He... saw this at Milo McIver last year. There was a dude and his two sons. Dude casts out one rod, then the other, then goes back to retrieve first rod to recast upstream, then second, etc. etc.
In between each cast and retrieve he is handing the rods over to his two sons (who look around 8-10)

Dude in coat and hat comes down to check on licenses. I couldn't believe it but the guy with the two kids stated "I dont have my license on me at the moment, but I am not fishing I am helping my kids" or words to that effect.
The warden gave him a ticket with the comment of "you dont have boys , you have rod holders"

troutdude
troutdude
Growbug said:
The warden gave him a ticket with the comment of "you dont have boys , you have rod holders"

LOL

Yep, just what I suspected would happen.

Again...fishing IS fishing...period.

A
Anyfishisfine
I'm going to hijack and add a hypothetical.

What if I'm fishing with my (adult) kids (everyone would have a license and tag), and I hand them rod if I get a nice fish on in hopes of spreading fever? I don't know why I'm thinking you can't do that, but I don't know why I think that.

H
halibuthitman
Anyfishisfine said:
I'm going to hijack and add a hypothetical.

What if I'm fishing with my (adult) kids (everyone would have a license and tag), and I hand them rod if I get a nice fish on in hopes of spreading fever? I don't know why I'm thinking you can't do that, but I don't know why I think that.
hand off's are perfectly legal.. as long as you still have room for the day for the fish you hooked in your personal limit... continuing to fish after retaining a steel head or salmon limit is illegal and party fishing... handing off a fish you still could have put on your tag is gracious and cool-

troutdude
troutdude
X2. If you haven't filled your tag, daily bag limit, and both are duly licensed...then no problem.

C
ChezJfrey
troutdude said:
X2. If you haven't filled your tag, daily bag limit, and both are duly licensed...then no problem.

Yep. And the person that lands a steelhead/salmon/sturgeon, records on their tag.

troutdude
troutdude
ChezJfrey said:
Yep. And the person that lands a steelhead/salmon/sturgeon, records on their tag.

Thanks for adding that critical component.

A
Anyfishisfine
Cool. I guess this also answers a question I had about taking my cousin fishing. He is in a wheelchair and would not be able to cast, but I'd love to take him fishing, even to a stalker pond since he was totally into that before getting hurt.

troutdude
troutdude
I definitely applaud your willingness to help your buddy!

You may want to call ODFW, and see if there is an exception the rules for assisting disabled fisher peeps. It sure would be cool, if you could do that.

L
lcsodiver
Well I know its a little late but here is some info for helping disabled anglers. Quoted from the 2011 regulations.

" A person may assist a disabled angler provided:
1. The person assisting the disabled angler has the appropriate
license and tags in possession and a copy of the disabled angler’s
Permanent Disabilities Permit while providing assistance.
2. The Permanent Disabilities Permit holder is present and partici-
pating in the angling activities.
3. Fish harvested while providing assistance to the Permanent
Disabilities Permit holder become part of the Disabled Permit
holder’s bag and possession limit.
4. The disabled angler and their assistant(s) may only use one
fishing rod while being assisted or providing assistance, except in Two-Rod waters when disabled angler and assistant(s) have Two-Rod validations.
5. The person(s) assisting the disabled angler may be in posses- sion of their daily bag limit and still assist the disabled angler."

So Please take them fishing!!! The previous statements of calling ODFW are right on though... it never hurts to ask them for clarifications!