Question about my set-up.

R
RDB
I just bought a ultra-light reel and want to do some trout fishing in both lakes and rivers (I will be bank fishing). I have #6 line with a 5'6" rod. Is that big enough to fish in the rivers as well. Also I was thinking that I was just tie the spinners directly to the line, or is there a better way. And finally I wanted to know if any buts any weight on the line when they are tossing the small spinner?

:think:

L
lcsodiver
Well I don't add additional weight when casting spinners as it may affect the action of the spinner, it also can make casting more of a pain. :p If you want to cast farther use a kastmaster lure or increase the weight/size of the spinner. That said there is a lot of fish that can be in close and don't require a long cast.

I don't recommend tying the line right to your lure, I use a small swivel as it makes changing lures much faster and more importantly it helps with keeping your line from becoming a slinky from all the twisting :D

As for your rod being big enough to fish rivers, just be aware that you may hook into a BIG fish and loose your lure and some line...... or have a long fight :) I routinely fish rivers with my 8' 6" spin/fly combo rod and 6 lb line. I also use a ultra light rod to fish smaller rivers and streams, if I remember right it's closer to the 5'6" of yours. it makes it a lot more fun to fish for panfish and smaller trout.

Hope that helps! Bob

T
Thuggin4Life
I agree with him. Makes for a crazy day if you hook a big sea run fish while out trouting. good times. Use a small swivel. no weights. good luck with your new set up.

A
adambomb
I fish small spinners almost exclusively in small rivers and creeks. I NEVER use a swivel or weight. If you can't get your spinner near the bottom where it should be, your using the wrong size spinner. IMO, all swivels and weights act as dampeners, reducing the crucial feel of your spinner working. To combat the line twist, I use braided line and have no twisting issues. As far as line goes I use 8lb braid with a improved clinch knot and I straighten out hooks 9 times out of 10. I use a 6'6" 4-8lb light rod and it has proven that it can handle the occasional sea run fish;)

Last edited by a moderator:
R
RDB
Thanks. I was a little concerned about the line twist on mono (which I already had on the line) so I went ahead with the swivel. I will keep braided line in mind when it comes time to put on new line. I was fishing on Saturday and was trying to check the spinner presentation with the swivel and it looked pretty good.

troutdude
troutdude
All of the above is great information. Plus, if you don't lose a spinner from time to time...then, you're not getting down where the fish are holding (in a river).

I like Kastmaster's too. But, I also highly recommend a Little Cleo wobber/spoon as well. Both are deadly on trout.

If you'd like to learn more, get a copy of Jed Davis' book: "Spinner Fishing for Salmon, Steelhead and Trout". It'll be the best money that you've spent in a while. Jed lives in or near Eugene--has fished Oregon rivers--and has tons of valuable information to share.

The first time that I made some Jed Davis spinners (his design), and followed his principles...I hooked into four monster 'nooks in one day!