Question about motor

T
TTFishon
2 stroke 20 horse Mercury, while running, leaks water out of where the spark plug screws in to the motor. Why do you suppose it's doing this?

S
Scoots
On many makes and models, the head gasket and the cylinder head are the "cap" of the water jacket surrounding the cylinders. If the head gasket is bad or the cylinder head is not "torqued" properly and in sequence, water can seep past and into the cylinders - not good. Retorque the cylinder heads and run a compression test - low or no compression with water in the cylinder suspects me to believe a bad head gasket.

S
stream2.5
that engine uses 2 piece water jacket design, you need to replace the gasket between the cylinder head and the waterjacket around the spark plug area

S
stream2.5
it is totally separate of the block.... there is no head gasket on that engine... just a side plate and cooling jacket gaskets... 1 piece head and block...

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I'm no expert but I would suspect it has something to do with it running on or around water.

:)

T
TTFishon
That doesn't seem too bad. Approximately how much do you suppose that would cost to fix?

troutdude
troutdude
Have you called a Marina / repair shop or two to get some quotes? If they know there stuff, I would think that they could at least OFFer and estimate over the phone.

Good luck w/ it bud.

BTW, when you get 'er running...let's drop your boat in Alton Baker and have a joy ride! ROTFL

T
TTFishon
troutdude said:
Have you called a Marina / repair shop or two to get some quotes? If they know there stuff, I would think that they could at least OFFer and estimate over the phone.

Good luck w/ it bud.

BTW, when you get 'er running...let's drop your boat in Alton Baker and have a joy ride! ROTFL

Actually I know a guy that I need to get a hold of that works on the Corvallis crew. His brother's a marine mechanic that works at some marine place in Salem and he does his own stuff on weekends and charges half of what his work does. I'm just trying to decide if I want to keep this motor. I bought a new to me boat yesterday and it would be cool to use the 20 horse instead of my 9.9 horse. Just trying to weigh my options.

troutdude
troutdude
TTFishon said:
Actually I know a guy that I need to get a hold of that works on the Corvallis crew. His brother's a marine mechanic that works at some marine place in Salem and he does his own stuff on weekends and charges half of what his work does. I'm just trying to decide if I want to keep this motor. I bought a new to me boat yesterday and it would be cool to use the 20 horse instead of my 9.9 horse. Just trying to weigh my options.

What? No comment on being the only one's to ever slide a boat into the canal, and get their pic's in the Register Guard? LOL

If you're pressed for moolah...maybe use the 9.9 for now, and fix the other later? Just a thought...

T
Thuggin4Life
sounds like a head gasket like mentioned and stream is a marine mechanic so I guantee it. shops are 90 an hour so if you can geet it done for half that its not to bad but i would recomend doing it yourself. You call around and find it too spendy and dont want to do it yourself. maybe we can work something out i want a faster motor and like to pretend to be a mechanic. What kinda boat did you get? get rid of your other one yet?

B
beaverfan
troutdude said:

Good luck w/ it bud.

Just as an FYI Stream2.5 owns and runs a repair shop.

T
TTFishon
Thuggin4Life said:
sounds like a head gasket like mentioned and stream is a marine mechanic so I guantee it. shops are 90 an hour so if you can geet it done for half that its not to bad but i would recomend doing it yourself. You call around and find it too spendy and dont want to do it yourself. maybe we can work something out i want a faster motor and like to pretend to be a mechanic. What kinda boat did you get? get rid of your other one yet?

I bought my buddy Marc's boat and no I haven't got rid of the other one yet. want to make a deal on the 20 horse?

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice! what you gonna do about the trailer? might all depends. I'll call you this weekend.

T
TTFishon
The trailer Marc's boat came on? I plan on making it into a real boat trailer. lol

T
Thuggin4Life
TTFishon said:
The trailer Marc's boat came on? I plan on making it into a real boat trailer. lol

yeah that trailer. sounds like you got it figured out.