Question About Leather Boots?

T

TTFishon

I was looking at boots yesterday at Coastal Farm Supply and noticed that a lot of them had the stitch in the toe area on the bottom of the sole. That doesn't seem like a good spot for a stitch to me. I went ahead and bought a pair of Georgia brand boots for 170 bucks with the stitch in the toe area on the bottom of the sole. I haven't wore them yet and am contemplating taking them back for some boots without this design. What do you think? Is this common? Has anyone bought boots like this before?

G

GraphiteZen

I would agree with about the notion to take them back. I got some moccasins for Christmas with the stitching in the same place sand they are currently falling apart. You labor on pavement correct? For $170 I would recommend some Redwings. I used to work in agriculture and also ran printing presses on concrete for years as well as construction and framing. Redwings never fatigued my feet or let me down. The rubber wore off before they ever popped a stitch.

Last edited:
C

capblack

do you have a picture. are they the ones that look like danners? you bought the right brand. i have been buying the georgias for the last 8 yrs or so, and they out last the danners by far, and for much less money. They have been lasting me for 2 yrs. and i wear them almost every day. plus two hunting seasons. the reason i started wearing them was the shoe saleswoman at the local coastal farm told me they were much better than the danners. if a sales person tells me to by the cheaper ones, i listen. any way, go with the georgias, Brian

M

Markcanby

I have had many pairs of boots with the stitch on the sole like that an never had a problem. It a lot better than the Danners that dont have that stitching an the sole come loose in the toe.

T

TTFishon

I would agree with about the notion to take them back. I got some moccasins for Christmas with the stitching in the same place sand they are currently falling apart. You labor on pavement correct? For $170 I would recommend some Redwings. I used to work in agriculture and also ran printing presses on concrete for years as well as construction and framing. Redwings never fatigued my feet or let me down. The rubber wore off before they ever popped a stitch.

Sometimes I labor on pavemement, sometimes I drive all day, sometimes I ..... lets just say I work outside most of the time. I will keep Redwings in mind. Does Coastal have them? I get a 20% discount if I buy my work clothes from Coastal. Thanks for the reply.

T

TTFishon

do you have a picture. are they the ones that look like danners? you bought the right brand. i have been buying the georgias for the last 8 yrs or so, and they out last the danners by far, and for much less money. They have been lasting me for 2 yrs. and i wear them almost every day. plus two hunting seasons. the reason i started wearing them was the shoe saleswoman at the local coastal farm told me they were much better than the danners. if a sales person tells me to by the cheaper ones, i listen. any way, go with the georgias, Brian

1283398075.png
1283398073.png
What do you think?

T

TTFishon

I have had many pairs of boots with the stitch on the sole like that an never had a problem. It a lot better than the Danners that dont have that stitching an the sole come loose in the toe.

Looks like you guys have had some experience with this type of boot. I'm starting to side on keeping them. Thanks

M

Markcanby

Yes I have had a few. About 2 pair a year for the last 12 years.:(:(

Man if I could have spent that money on fishing.:lol::lol:

T

TTFishon

2 pair a year is not good at all. I was hoping these would last me a couple of years.

M

Markcanby

It is the work I do. A normal person a pair will last 3 to 5 years if oiled often to keep teh leather from tearing.

M

Markcanby

At Costal there is a Danner approved Bee's Wax that works great. You just smear it on an then put them by the heater vent an it melts in. I can't remember the name but I can PM it to you tomorrow I have some at the shop.

W

Woodsman

I've spent 11 years as a Wild land Fire fighter, and many more years working in the woods. Every pair of boots I've owned has had the stitching on the out soul. After walking countless hours and miles through hot coals and slash, I've never had an issue. When I was firefighting I averaged 2 seasons on one set of souls, non-firefighting I average almost 4 years on one set of souls

My preferred boots are the Whites Smoke Jumper.

Last edited:
G

GraphiteZen

I've spent 11 years as a Wild land Fire fighter, and many more years working in the woods. Every pair of boots I've owned has had the stitching on the out soul. After walking countless hours and miles through hot coals and slash, I've never had an issue. When I was firefighting I averaged 2 seasons on one set of souls, non-firefighting I average almost 4 years on one set of souls

My preferred boots are the Whites Smoke Jumper.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you're good with any boot that is designed to stomp on fire haha..

My grandparents directed Wildland Fire Fighting crews for years. It gets damn hot out there! ;)

W

Woodsman

I lied, I remembered that I do have a pair of boots that don't have the stitching on the out soul. Their Danners and they've survived 1 winter/spring but doubt they will make it through this winter.

J

JeannaJigs

I don't know about the pros and cons of that specific boot...but, the animal print brings out the natural leather tones nicely ;)

W

Woodsman

Oh good. What kind of oil do you use?

For summer time I like to use Obenauf's LP and for winter I use Hubbard’s. Also, I would take those nylon laces out and replace them with leather laces, nylon laces actually cut into the brass eyelets over time which will in turn start cutting/breaking your laces. MAKE SURE you grease the leather laces heavily, otherwise they will break.

C

capblack

those are the ones ive been buying. as i said, they last me about 2 yrs at almost 7 days a week. they also come in black

Top Bottom