Question about Jeep 4X4?

C

capblack

hubs arent locked in? its not in 4 wheel drive? is it all wheel drive? in all wheel drive with open diffs one of the 4 spins ( the one with the least traction ) in 4 wheel drive 1 in the back, and 1 in the front spins ( the two with the least traction ) with open diffs. were you looking at both front tires?

T

TTFishon

I was in the passenger side and we were in the snow. The driver said his front tire wasn't spinning too but his back tire was. I asked him if we need to lock the hubs and he said no.

T

Thuggin4Life

Huh wierd. not my area. i think mine does the one front and one back spin deal since its all wheel or 4low. something wasn't right if only a back was spinning.

D

DirectDrive

Some newer rigs use a vacuum motor or an electric solenoid to engage the front end.
It sounds like there might be something wrong with that system.

F

fish4life

Depending on the year if it has atomatic 4wd it is ussually controlled by a vacume switch, that is what my 95 dakota has it should have a light that comes on when the 4wd locks in. Also sometimes you have to drive alittle foward to get it to engage same with getting it to disengage therefor if you are already stuck you might not be able to engage it so it is a good idea to put in the 4wd before you get into snow that is deep enough you think you might need it.

T

TTFishon

I think he said it's 93. It did fine driving up hill and then down hill to the landing. He shut the motor off for about 20 minutes and then we headed out and that's when it happened. I thought it did pretty good with only the back tires working. I don't think there's anyway we would've gotten stuck. His jeep has a killer winch with a 19 ft cable and he had a 30 ft strap too.

C

ChezJfrey

Depending on the year if it has atomatic 4wd it is ussually controlled by a vacume switch, that is what my 95 dakota has it should have a light that comes on when the 4wd locks in. Also sometimes you have to drive alittle foward to get it to engage same with getting it to disengage therefor if you are already stuck you might not be able to engage it so it is a good idea to put in the 4wd before you get into snow that is deep enough you think you might need it.

This is the case with the couple of 4x systems I have had.

B

BrianW

A 93 has a vaccum disconect front axle. it is not uncommon for the vaccumm hose to pull off, or get melted. If this happends, than you will not get any front wheel power. Check the plastic line, and check the actuator on the front axle tube to make sure it holds vaccum. They are not a complex system, and can be figured out quickly.

G

GraphiteZen

A 93 has a vaccum disconect front axle. it is not uncommon for the vaccumm hose to pull off, or get melted. If this happends, than you will not get any front wheel power. Check the plastic line, and check the actuator on the front axle tube to make sure it holds vaccum. They are not a complex system, and can be figured out quickly.

Yup. That sounds about right. Beat me to it.

T

TTFishon

Thanks man. I'll let him know when I see him again.