Question about gear

N
nw5785
Hi guys so last weekend when i went out, i realized its time for a new rod. I want something that can be good for steelies, trout maybe even a little salmon.

I was looking at a 8'6 abu garcia rod and reel combo for 44 at bimart, do you think this would be a wise investment? any suggestions would helpful. Thanks guys n gals.

M
Mike123
I dont think it's possible to own a rod for trout, salmon, and steelhead. :D
If you want a decent cheap rod Okuma Ceilo rods at Joes are on sale.
They are a little under $40 I think...

H
Hawk
I like Abu/Garcia/Mitchell products/fishin' gear...............................:D:D:D

I've had some fer lustrums..................................:D:D:D..........................:cool::cool::cool:

N
nw5785
hmm okay then mainly for the steelhead and heavier fish i can always pick up a smaller rod for trout... ill have to take a look at those at joes i like abu garcia and ugly sticks but def open for some suggestions :)

J
JeannaJigs
I would reccomend a seperate rod for trout. During the summer I pack a steelhead/salmon rod and a smaller trout rod. I've got a 9' shakespeare caterra that is amazingly sensitive for the backbone it packs, I got it at bimart a few years back, i think they're 50 bucks with a reel these days, the reel that comes with it is heavy, and would work for salmon, but, I didn't like it, plus I have a real nice quantum spinning reel I got with a christmas bonus gift card to joes 2 years ago that is amazingly smooth. My rod has landed 40 pound fish, no problem, while being sensitive enough to feel the faintest bite from steelhead.. Only Sunday did it die an untimely death when I had a mishap that involved an 8-9 foot fall onto rocks. I'm going to be getting another one just like it I think. Sure it's not a lamiglass or a g-loomis, but for the price it's great.

N
nw5785
That sucks! there will be another good rod out there for ya though. :D

I like that abu garcia at bimart but it has a gigantic reel on it that does not feel that durable, i would want to change it soooooo.. ahh the choices... :think:

F
fourgotten
Mike123 said:
I dont think it's possible to own a rod for trout, salmon, and steelhead. :D
If you want a decent cheap rod Okuma Ceilo rods at Joes are on sale.
They are a little under $40 I think...

I have one of the large Celilo casting rods that I use for surf fishing... LOVE that rod... the smaller Celilo rods are every bit as nice, IMNSHO... quite nice rods for the price...

I know that Fred Meyer is currently running a special of 20% off on rod/reel combos... the one in Florence has some rods that would do you nice (they also have the best deal on cast lead that I've been able to find)... dunno about the ones here in Eugene... haven't been looking at them...

J
JeannaJigs
nw5785 said:
That sucks! there will be another good rod out there for ya though. :D

I like that abu garcia at bimart but it has a gigantic reel on it that does not feel that durable, i would want to change it soooooo.. ahh the choices... :think:
generally, the reels that come with the rods..not awesome. They are all GINORMOUS i swear! The one that came with my rod was gargantuan, not to mention it was painted gold! I could blind a person with it during the summer I swear.

N
nw5785
Yeah, its hard finding a combo with a nice reel under 60-70 bucks.. unless u want plastic crap. i did look at another one today an okuma that came with a nice shimano reel! :) now i am questioning what to get its so hard!!!!

H
Hawk
Sometimes you kin git good deals on fishin' stuff at garage/yard sales....................:D

J
JeannaJigs
nw5785 said:
Yeah, its hard finding a combo with a nice reel under 60-70 bucks.. unless u want plastic crap. i did look at another one today an okuma that came with a nice shimano reel! :) now i am questioning what to get its so hard!!!!
Choices choices!!! I broke my rod, and need a new one before the weekend, so I'm in the same boat. I have an okuma trout rod, but I don't like it :( it's too sensitive, doesn't have much backbone the tip bends, like gumby, makes setting a hook really hard. So if you know someone that wants a trout rod, haha I've got one i'm willing to let go for almost nothing. Some people like a real flexible rod, just not me. I am looking to get a rod identical to the one I killed, but I can't seem to locate the exact one :(

F
FishSchooler
Aha, I have a reel/rod combo that i do use for trout steelhead and little salmon. Inspinity combo made by shakespear. it can be bought at joes for 30-40 bucks I think. I use it with a 12 lb mainline for all three, just like 4 lb leader for trout, 6-10 for steels, and 10 for the cohos. (8 lb CXX Pline can take around 20 lbs of weight)

N
nw5785
Yeah thats where most my current stuff came from :lol: i sold all of my current stuff on craigslist so i could buy a nice steelheadin rod :) ill be hittin up garages sales soon for a trout rod though!

K
Kodiak
budget

budget

I'm not sure about price range you are looking for, but for the money the Abu/garcia 6500/6501 reel has been a mainstay for salmon and steelies all over the northwest. As for rods I would recomend several an 8'6" 10-20# ww grigg. Not as sensitive as a loomis or lamiglass, but close. Lght, fast action, plenty of backbone..can usually be had for around $60.00. I highly recomend not going cheap, you get with you pay for. With as light as these big fish bite you need all the help you can get.

Troutski
Troutski
Size of fish...

Size of fish...

I have to ask, what is the average fish you people catch; Steel Head that is. Your tackle makes mine sound like ultra light gear. Our Steel Head run around 8 - 15 lbs, 15lb being a very nice fish.
When these "gear" threads pop up it sounds like either I am running to light or you have some huge fish up North.
I use a Loomis 7' light spinning rod with a very fast tip along with a Shimano Stradic 2500 with 8# Braided main line with 6# leader; the two lines separated by a ball bearing swivel. The lure is tied directly to the Fluorocarbon leader...

Chuck

K
Kodiak
Big fish

Big fish

We are getting into some of the same fish you do chuck. Our springers on the north fork are bigger than yours though. Our average springer is about 15-20#, 25 not that uncommon, I get into a couple of 30's every year. Our winter metal here can occasionaly exceed 20.
Our summers are all over the place weight wise 4#was my smallest, my largest 18 lbs, 6 oz.
For a salmon/steelie rod I think a heavier med. action rod with a fast action is where it's at.

L
luv2fish
i use buzz ramsay's air im7.....10-20 # for winters..its 9'6 and can handle decent salmon as well...luckily i got to talk to Buzz himself on other forum ....and once he gave me a green ..i was on..i have caught 3 salmon on that rod last year....costed 40 bucks....and i've a daiwa millionaire reel on that...works just fine....my wife gifted me lamiglas...and i use it sometimes.. honestly...i donno bout the pros....but to me the senstivity was almost same..infact i'll say just same...atleast i couldn't figure it out....
sometimes i think ..( before i had these 4 rods...all air IM7's )...these rods are the main reason i almost filled my tag ( mostly by drift )...o well mebbe just for me...there are other good cheap rods available...i just like these IM 7's...

N
nw5785
so if u guys a had a 60 dollar budget what would u guys get?

i would like a med heavy 8'6

A
ArcticAmoeba
For Steelhead the 8'6" 8-12, NxNW "Steelhead Drift" machine. You will have 20 bucks left over too!

For Springers. Go with a 10-20, or better yet, an 8-15. Having a little extra backbone is nice, but an 8-12 will handle just about any Spring Chinook in the local rivers.

N
nw5785
Where would i find that at???