PVC pipe jetty fishing

F
fish_4_all
Has anyone ever tried it? I saw a couple guys come of the jetty here and had bags full of big Sea bass and all they had were PVC pipe for fishing. I saw how they did it and both myself and one of my uncles has tried to duplicate it but haven't had much luck.

The rods they had were 5 feet lengths, 6 of them each. Each piece had a male and female adapter to connect them together. They said all they did was to bait the hook and thrust the pipe into the deeper holes and around rocks and that's how they caught all the fish. They may not have told the whole truth but they didn't have any other poles with them so they had to use the PVC to catch the fish.

If anyone else has ever seen this or done it could you share what you did and how it worked?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Just trying to get my mind wrapped around this....5 foot pieces of pvc......6 pieces put together for a toltal of 30 feet........a line and hook on one end and they just put the line into the water into where the fish are. Nope never seen this, but sure seems creative. I have enough trouble with a 13'6" spey rod. I don't think I'll try 30' of PVC but would like to see this in action:)

F
fish_4_all
Well they guys who use them say they fish them straight down into the rocks or at a slight angle to fish deep in the rocks. I just can't see PVC being strong enough to handle a big fish without breaking but I could be wrong.

C
chris61182
I believe the term for this is pole poking, and to the best of my knowledge it's not normally done with PVC but rather some sort of wooden or bamboo pole.

F
fish_4_all
Not sure what it is called but they use PVC here. I think a nice solid pole would be better to use because of the chance of getting big fish but they would also be heavy at 20-25 feet long. Cane might be tough enough but a fish pulling it against the rocks could splinter and break it, or one would think anyway.

Oh well, gonna try it this spring so I will report if I have any luck with it.

J
joeyota
I have heard of this to but with cheep fishing poles. I have looked around Winchester bay on the jetty, And kinda tried it but couldn't find the holes in the rocks deep enough to get fish?

F
fish_4_all
It take some practice to find the holes to fish in. Simply take the pole, PVC pipe and poke around until you find a spot that goes deeper than others. I have seen spots that went as deep as 10-15 feet when the water in front of the jetty was only 5-8 feet deep. I have seen some of the deepest holes right in front of my off rocks I was standing on to fish off.

F
fourgotten
Poke-poling

Poke-poling

Poke-poling can be quite productive. As someone else mentioned, usually it's a 12'-15' bamboo stick that's used with a bit of coat hanger and 80-lb-test mono affixed to the "business end" put a 1/0 hook on there, bait up with a hunk o' squid and find some good holes to poke...

Works on jetties and natural rock crevices... look it up on Youtube.. there's a cool vid of a guy poke-poling for monkey-faced eel!

B
Born2Fish55
I saw some gentlemen arrive at the North Jetty at Tillamook with several links of ABS schedule 40 pipe and a gunny sack for fish. The pipes were about eight feet in length with a male and female fitting on both ends. It appeared that the pipe was filled with expandable foam for extra strength. They were poking the pipe in between the open spots in the rock with about a two foot rope with two or three 2/0 hooks all baited with chunks of mussel, fish and clam necks. They would shove it in and move it about...eventually pulling one of more fish up from the holes. They fished the incoming low tide for about thirty minutes or so and left with a sack full of fish.... I caught four rockfish and perch after the whole day.
:shock:

F
fish_4_all
I have seen the same thing. Have done it with an old fishing pole which finished it off but it worked. 2 guys walking off the jetty with a sack full of fish and nothing but PVC pipes 8 foot sections, 3 each. I use a fishing pole jigging up and down and do about as well but the poles allow so much more control, and you lose a lot less gear.

B
Born2Fish55
New trend or old school?

New trend or old school?

Yeah, if I keep seeing these guys with sacks full of fish in just a little while of fishing, then this may be my next trend in FISHING?!? Well maybe if I'm doing some meat hunting for filling the freezer.... didn't really look sporting, but dang, it worked good! I figured the ABS was the 'next generation' of performance pole fishing....more flexible.... almost unbreakable.... with the foam fill, it could almost bend back into itself without cracking. Actually looked like some fun.

A
Anyfishisfine
I know I said this before, but I need to try this.

A
Anyfishisfine
That foam fill would solve a few problems with PVC. It would stiffen it, and make it heavier against the wind. Any ideas how you would fill it without the foam expanding before it's full?

What diameter pipe was it?

B
Born2Fish55
Anyfishisfine said:
That foam fill would solve a few problems with PVC. It would stiffen it, and make it heavier against the wind. Any ideas how you would fill it without the foam expanding before it's full?

What diameter pipe was it?

These guys used 3/4" black ABS, which is far stronger and PVC, but weights more. As far as filling with foam... Hmmmm? Not really, you could just see the 'pooching' out on the male end.... maybe long flexible tube and stoppers or something (???). Have to play with some ideas without
Lengths looked about 8' each, they were carrying four each with about 2' of the lower and upper ends wrapped with heavy twine. The bitter end piece had a cap with the rope....something like 150# test old school braided or clothesline with hoops in it for the hooks (or hook leaders) to fit on. I've looked at the quick little video I shot on my phone... but I cannot make out a lot of detail (way too dark).
I'm in the same boat as you, I want to try this off of the Nehalem jetty... I shot this same thread out to 'StriperNet-Surf talk' where a lot of surf from the East Coast disscuss fishing (and laugh at us West Coasters a lot) and most of them have never heard of it, but the California group has and say it's a common practice down Southern Cali.

Anyway.... let's see if others have ideas.... put our heads together and maybe come up with another way to 'off-set the old food bill' and have some fun doing it!

A
Anyfishisfine
I think you might be able to shoot foam in by extending the tube on the foam can with a length of aquarium air pump tubing. Just run the tubing to the end of the pipe and draw it back as you fill the pipe with foam.

I'm not sure if that would work, but I don't see why not.

B
beaverfan
I'm gonna go old fashioned and use bamboo. There's a little nursery near me that sells huge stalks of bamboo. I would like to rig it up so I could have a two piece bamboo pole that screws together. Any ideas?

The only thing I can come up with is some how rigging the bamboo with the male and female pieces from an old pool stick or something.

F
fish_4_all
beaverfan said:
The only thing I can come up with is some how rigging the bamboo with the male and female pieces from an old pool stick or something.

PVC adapters come in lots of sizes.

As for filling the pipe, seal off the end you are putting it in as good as you can around the straw and fire away. I have filled 3 foot long tubes all the way up doing it as long as I didn't stop too long. It stays movable and foam like for a long enough time, or did for me. The pipe was 3 feet long and 4 inches in diameter and was solid when we cut it apart, as solid as the foam can be anyway.

Last edited:
B
Born2Fish55
Anyfishisfine said:
I think you might be able to shoot foam in by extending the tube on the foam can with a length of aquarium air pump tubing. Just run the tubing to the end of the pipe and draw it back as you fill the pipe with foam.

I'm not sure if that would work, but I don't see why not.

Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking.... maybe a cork plug or small ball in the female end and just cut off the extruded excess on the male end. The expanding foam would fill the whole pipe tight and the ball would just jam in place (hopefully). I think I'll try the idea with some scrap pieces and see where it goes from there.:cool:

F
fish_4_all
Make sure you have some sort of small hole in the bottom or the foam may not fill all the way. Just like anything else you have to let the air out to fill it with semething else.

B
Born2Fish55
That was DUMB!!!!

That was DUMB!!!!

fish_4_all said:
Make sure you have some sort of small hole in the bottom or the foam may not fill all the way. Just like anything else you have to let the air out to fill it with semething else.

:naughty: Well now....that was DUMB!!!
Okay... DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING!!!!
:shock:
I managed to jam a ball into the bottom end of 8' length of PVC pipe, right up tight against the female fitting that I had glued on to it! I then drilled a 1/4" hole in it and pushed a thick straw through it that allowed a long piece of rubber tube to go through and reach the other end of the eight foot tube. I placed another ball in that end and drilled a 1/16 hole through it... I then pressure fit and glued a male fitting on that end, making a firm solid seal at both ends.
:confused:
THEN the problem began.... I filled the whole tube with expandable foam.... and well it expanded....the seals held, but I ended up with expandable foam spraying out both ends like you would not believe... it was like one on those cans of 'Silly string'.... I now have dried, smeared clumps of foam everywhere in my garage and driveway... un-freakin' believable!!!
It went everywhere and then some..... And to add insult to injury.... the piece of rubber hose I used that was still attached to the can... well it kept expanding too.... if there is a place that this crap should not be, well it is now!!!

okay, back to the drawing board!!!!

:rolleyes:
p.s. have you ever tried to get expanded foam out of your hair?!?!?!:think:

Rule #1 - think out ALL of what may happen...

:lol: If it had happened to someone else I'd be rolling on the floor.... "it is everywhere... I had to drag the stupid thing out of the garage, praying that it didn't spray my fishing gear or lures:pray:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Last edited: