Putting on the miles

brandon4455
brandon4455
Haven't been fishing too much lately, i just graduated high school and got a job so things have been touch and go and my schedule is a mess. the last 2 times i have had the chance to fish sam and i took advantage of my rare free hours and did some hike in trips. First trip was a 15 mile hike (10 into the woods and 5 along the river) and we ended up with 20 trout total. This stream has suffered the past 3-4 years and the fish have vanished in it's lower stretches so out of curiosity we went way high up in the system, and though we didn't find a ton of fish, we did find there are still some left. we caught fish from 8 inches up to 15 inches. Almost all cutthroat but some juvenille steelhead as well. Fish were only in the fast runs with cool oxygenated water,except the few that we found sipping midges in a slack water spot with sufficient shade. Possie bugger as usual was the fly of the day. This trip was a pain in the ass but worth finding out if there were any fish surviving.

The next trip was to a completely new to us stream. We somewhat scouted the stream via hike along an old giant pothole covered/overgrown gravel road. Given it's location and the amount of old growth forest made this a good location and it did not disappoint.We caught 45 fish total between us this day hiking just 5 miles total (2.5 upstream,2.5 down) the water was cold,clear, and had a good hatch of caddis,midges, and some big golden stones. Few fish were up top but nymphing produced a lot of fish. We caught 2/3rds wild cutthroat and 1/3 juvenille steelhead. Most were on either a #12 possie bugger or a #18 flashback pheasant tail. We caught more large fish and healthy ones in this stream and they were all full of fight. This was also the first voyage for my new echo carbon 4wt and rio indicator line which preformed flawlessly. This stream has a mixed substrate and character and it seemed there were fish in both the straight flat section, and the uphill boulder gardens.On this stream fish averaged 12 inches, with fish to 15 and a few others that appeared larger that were too hot to meet the net! keep in mind these are all resident trout so pretty good sized for non sea run fish. it has been good getting on the water again,once i finish training at work i plan on taking the tube over the hill for some bobber watchin!

Here are some photos sam and i took with his camera. credit to him on those.

Some of our fish

vyftd.jpg

t53dqv.jpg

fyq4ih.jpg
14xe2vb.jpg

Scenery

sfgs50.jpg

Notice me looking like bigfoot in this one? haha

or8bk0.jpg

-Brandon

J
JonT
Great report and nice fish. What elevation?

I
igquick
Great post, awesome photography, and most importantly NICE FISH!

E
eugene1
Good pics and nice stream!

Now that you graduated high school, what next?

Best,

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Congratulations on graduating and landing a job! Great report and love the pics, thanks for sharing. :thumb:

T
TimberTodd
Congratulations Brandon and thanks for sharing your outings.

bass
bass
Great report! Sounds like those were some fun and interesting trips.

H
Hawk
Those are beautiful photos...

Thank You bro's.....:):thumb:

troutdude
troutdude
Congrats Brandon! Glad to see you finish school. You won't regret it; ever!

Great report as always. And some of those pics, belong in the next edition of "Fishing in Oregon"!