Put my Grandpa's dog down today.

Ikijime

I decided that this post was pretty intense and graphic, afterall, for a forum intended for socializing and mingling.

I just want to thank the responders for their empathy and support. I was having a very bad day and needed to vent.

I'm in a much better frame of mind today, and am grateful for the support. Thanks for chiming in, guys.

James

Troutski

No reason to apologize, dealing with a death of a friend either human or animal is not a easy thing. My heart goes out to you... Take solace in that the suffering is over for both of your loved ones.
My best to you and yours in this trying time...

Chuck

Ikijime

I appreciate your empathy, Troutski. I'm stone cold on the outside. On the inside, I'm reeling.

hobster

You're not so anonymous here, I feel like you've had some great input and ikijime is a great name, I remember when you changed it (so did steeelmonkiller right after ;)). That's some pretty heavy stuff, we have all been there with a loved one, I feel your pain. My dog is almost 12 and my kids are 12 and 17, they have spent their lives with him. I know he won't be around too much longer and dread the day he goes, but that is life. Time heals......take care of yourself and go hit the river for some therapy :thumb:

Ikijime

Thanks, hobster. My own pooch is almost 10 yrs old. I really don't know who will put him down, when it's time. I appreciate your comment! Thank you so much for reaching out.

rogerdodger

Most Featured
I understand well how you feel, it is so hard to put down a long loved dog. I have maintained eye contact and support the head of 4 of our black labs as the vet pushed in the medication, their breathing slows and they relax and when you feel the weight of their head in your hands, it is over.

That is my one suggestion to consider for the future- it still hurts us but is very peaceful to have a vet put them to sleep with you there, they put an IV in their leg and get the shot all set and then give you all the time you want and when you give them the signal, they empty the syringe into the IV and it is over in just a couple of seconds....there is no noise or trauma or bleeding; just you rubbing their ears while they look at your face....best regards, roger

Ikijime

Thanks, Roger. That sounds much more gentle than the tradition that my "farm" family had, growing up on acreage with a single income and lots of animals. Your post actually mists my eyes. Thanks for the share.

Top Bottom