Pumpkinseed locations in lower Willamette valley

Joffurson
Joffurson
I live in the Eugene/Springfield area and have been trying to track down somewhere to go after Pumpkinseeds around here for years. I'm also interested in places to fish for other kinds of sunfish around here. Haven't been able to locate the bluegill in Delta Ponds since the "restoration" and the best place I have at this point is Kirk Pond. Any advice on nearby sunnies would be much appreciated.

Reactions: datsunwhacko
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
They are all over at hult pond north of triangle lake
20200426_123234.jpg

Your best bet is probably bond Butte, they catch them by the buckets right at the boat ramp

Reactions: Joffurson
Joffurson
Joffurson
Much thanks. I'll have to check out bond butte someday when my car seems up to it. Not too far from me and sounds killer in general now that I'm looking into it. Don't think my vehicle would manage Hult Pond but maybe I'll get out there at some point too.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Joffurson said:
Much thanks. I'll have to check out bond butte someday when my car seems up to it. Not too far from me and sounds killer in general now that I'm looking into it. Don't think my vehicle would manage Hult Pond but maybe I'll get out there at some point too.
Both are fully accessible with a car, hult pond is paved all the way up, just a couple good turns through the hills, and only turn around at the boat ramp

Bond Butte is also fully paved, except the 50 yards of gravel to the ramp, worst spot is against the road where the rain makes a drop

F
Fred
This is a pumpkinseed right?

G
gherlin
Yes. Only other sunfish with red on opercular flap is the redear sunfish but the wavy lines on the cheek is characteristic of a pumpkinseed.

Reactions: Joffurson and Fred
troutdude
troutdude
I'm not certain but how about Fern Ridge Reservoir or lower Long Tom River (below the dam). Or maybe Alton Baker ponds/park/canal?

D
datsunwhacko
still looking? know where you can catch em....every cast couple weeks ago.downtown springfield!

Reactions: Joffurson
D
datsunwhacko
NKlamerus said:
They are all over at hult pond north of triangle lake

Your best bet is probably bond Butte, they catch them by the buckets right at the boat ramp
hult pond? where is that?triangle lake full of panfish.....grasshoppers off the dock

Joffurson
Joffurson
datsunwhacko said:
every cast couple weeks ago.downtown springfield!
Oh definitely still looking. Life's been super busy lately so haven't managed to get on here in a bit. Where in downtown springfield? I go through there constantly.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
There's bluegill in the little pond at the science center in Alton baker, but please don't keep them

Alton itself also has them but you'll need slack water, and to avoid the pikeminnow

Horton is probably the most I've seen, but it's disgusting right now (see photo)

There's a small pond on the west side of Eugene, off jessen dr that has visible schools, but I've never fished for them
51d18d82a545f0fea77e0e36c8f0f8b2.jpg

Last edited:
Joffurson
Joffurson
Sweet thank you. I only keep bluegill from places where they are heavily overpopulated and it's doing them a favor (and helping increase their size) to take some so no worries there. Alton is right by my house so I'll definitely try there. I was aware of the jessen pond but didn't know what'd be in there so I'll definitely check that out along with Horton ( once conditions improve of course).

B
bucketman009
Horton/Hult Pond has a TON of bluegills....most seem to be opposite side from parking area where the shallows warm quickly...also a bunch of LITTLE bass and Cutthroat trout at the top end of the lake.

troutdude
troutdude
There are Pumpkin Seeds and many other panfish in the Willy. Ergo the sloughs and tribs will have them too.