Pulling a boat with a 4x2 truck

808state
Is it possible? the boat ramps seem rather steep at some places so i could see how 4 wheel drive comes in handy. But is it needed? I have a rear wheel drive truck ford ranger. I would like a differnet truck but can't get one at this time and have seen so many smokin deals on boats from craigslist for under $500 and $300 even!

C
Combat Chuck
Check out this thread. I recently got a drift boat and the ramps are pretty bad on some rivers. I pull out of a very steep ramp at Pleasant Valley on the santiam without any traction issues. Its actually a lack of power thats the biggest hang up but thats not much of a concern. I think an aluminum on a lake ramp would be no problem and they tow pretty good too. Just pay attention when it gets slick.

A
autofisher
As long as you're not hammering down on the throttle and just gear down, you should be just fine. I've learned that if you just ease it up and down the ramp that everything usually goes smoothly. I've even seen some cars backing smaller boats into the water, although I think those guys are nuts.

808state
Sick. i have that same ranger 2004 white 4x2. Thats rad i have found some really really steep boat launches in some places and some look totally passable. Saw one that was just natural with rocks. Thanks for the re-post

G
GrillMaster
Comealong

Comealong

I would carry a comealong in the back just to be on the safe side, one can always winch the boat up the ramp until the tires of your truck are on solid ground and then use the normal trailer winch to complete the job. I have a friend that had a receiver installed on the front of his pickup and this gave him front wheel drive when pulling his boat out of tough places. Good luck and keep the cell phone charged.

GM

K
Kodiak
808state said:
Sick. i have that same ranger 2004 white 4x2. Thats rad i have found some really really steep boat launches in some places and some look totally passable. Saw one that was just natural with rocks. Thanks for the re-post

just push the long verticle petal on the right to the floor. When you reach the top of the boat ramp and your trailer catches air it will help your boat "settle" on the trailer ensuring it stays put on the ride home. Some people refer to this as "repositioning" and is really quiote common. Also smoke from tires and shards of rubber that stick to the bottom of your boat are some of the greatest fish attractants known to date. If you have an automatic this is even better as it will help pick the proper gas saving gear on the way uphill and make towing your boat way more ecinomical and enjoyable....Just let me know what boat ramp and time you will be at so I can get out before you try pulling a decent weight boat up the ramp.good luck, have fun your gonna need it.

S
sgpwayne
4x2 launching

4x2 launching

I have a 4x2 Dodge short bed pickup and I have been pulling my 18' tracker Bass Buggy (approx weight 2200 lbs.) for 5 years now. I have fished multiple states including WA. OR. and ID. and the only trouble I have had was when my right rear wheel fell into a hole on a gravel launch at Fernan Lake in ID. Look the ramp over, and if you can, watch a couple of boats launch before trying it. I also carry 5 sixty lb sand bags in the bed placed over the rear axle. If you are not sure about the ramp you might be better off going to another lake. My next truck will have a limited slip differential for sure. Hope this helps

M
mudslinging79
+1 in the limited slip diff. knew a guy who had one in his truck, he was able to go places regular trucks couldnt. not a true 4x4, but it really helps.