Proposed fall wild chinook retention

Markk

I support it but would rather have 2 per day with 5 total. Not that I ever caught 2 in one day last year at least after I caught 1 I was still fishing. I only had one day last year where we boated 2 fish (none by me).

rogerdodger

my feeling is that if this is adopted as proposed, it is likely to shift a good number of guide and private boats to the Umpqua (which has hatchery releases of chinook and coho, and keeps the 2 per day/20 per year regs for wild chinook and both hatchery salmon species), which could be very good news to reduce fishing pressure on the Siuslaw fall runs (there are no hatchery chinook or coho releases in the Siuslaw system, so 1 wild chinook per day is it this year).

rogerdodger

I believe so, in most of the rivers, Siuslaw for example, the limit will still be 2 salmon/steelhead per day under zone regs., so people are allowed to continue to fish for chinook jacks or hatchery chinook/coho/steelhead. But each angler on the boat can only tag one wild chinook under the proposed rules, so a boat with 4 anglers is maxed out at 4 wild chinook if each angler tags one. Umpqua regs would allow that boat to have more wild chinook and a decent chance of some hatchery coho or hatchery chinook, to a boat max. of 8. (they would need to start pulling in rods once 5 salmon/steelhead have been retained, no 'boat limits' on coastal rivers).

Aton

Shut down Lake Creek altogether.
Well this proposal does just that since it already was not open to Chinook until October 15. I would advocate for keeping Lake Cr. to Indian Cr. open in this time period but limit gear to Bobber and 18" leader. The snaggers working the slots is where the (majority) kills happen. And if under the proposal you are only allowed 5 (adipose) salmon. I believe many fishermen will already be tagged out by Oct. 15.

Markk

I believe so, in most of the rivers, Siuslaw for example, the limit will still be 2 salmon/steelhead per day under zone regs., so people are allowed to continue to fish for chinook jacks or hatchery chinook/coho/steelhead. But each angler on the boat can only tag one wild chinook under the proposed rules, so a boat with 4 anglers is maxed out at 4 wild chinook if each angler tags one. Umpqua regs would allow that boat to have more wild chinook and a decent chance of some hatchery coho or hatchery chinook, to a boat max. of 8. (they would need to start pulling in rods once 5 salmon/steelhead have been retained, no 'boat limits' on coastal rivers).
Under the proposal and in a private boat with 2 people fishing and after 1 wild fish is retained it is my understanding that you could only continue fishing with 1 pole. Is that correct?

GaryP1958

Well this proposal does just that since it already was not open to Chinook until October 15. I would advocate for keeping Lake Cr. to Indian Cr. open in this time period but limit gear to Bobber and 18" leader. The snaggers working the slots is where the (majority) kills happen. And if under the proposal you are only allowed 5 (adipose) salmon. I believe many fishermen will already be tagged out by Oct. 15.
The majority of Nooks spawn in Lake Creek so I say shut it down you have plenty of chances in tidewater!

rogerdodger

Under the proposal and in a private boat with 2 people fishing and after 1 wild fish is retained it is my understanding that you could only continue fishing with 1 pole. Is that correct?
not the way I read it, this is only restricting the retention of wild chinook to 1 per day, not changing the zone or exception regs. for these rivers, which in most cases is 2 salmon/steelhead and 5 jack salmon per day. However, if an angler tags a wild chinook and also hatchery chinook or coho or steelhead, then they would be done for the day. Zone regs. are that once you have a limit of adult salmon, you may not continue to angle for trout or jack salmon.

Grey Ghost

Alright guys here is my take on the proposed changes to the slaw. I’m OK with cutting it to 1 and 5 for wild fish. The rivers in Bristol bay have been 1 and 4 for years and no one is complaining about it. These are wild fish and we as sportsman must protect them ourselves as ODFW has got us here by there continued mis management. Nothing has been done about the overwhelming increase in the numbers of double breasted comorants that have taken up residence in cushman or the seal explosion that has happened over the last 5 years. Now here is where I think everyone should be upset is the no in river coho retention again. ODFW felt there was enough fish to give 8 days in September for non selective harvest in the ocean but could not justify any in river fishery. Anyone that has fished the slaw the last 3 years know the coho returns have been strong my numbers for the 60 days straight I spent on the slaw last season was 7-1 coho to chinook. It would take a lot of pressure off the kings had they simply given us a couple coho for the season. Hope everyone has a good summer I’m off to AK until September.

rogerdodger

Alright guys here is my take on the proposed changes to the slaw. I’m OK with cutting it to 1 and 5 for wild fish. The rivers in Bristol bay have been 1 and 4 for years and no one is complaining about it. These are wild fish and we as sportsman must protect them ourselves as ODFW has got us here by there continued mis management. Nothing has been done about the overwhelming increase in the numbers of double breasted comorants that have taken up residence in cushman or the seal explosion that has happened over the last 5 years. Now here is where I think everyone should be upset is the no in river coho retention again. ODFW felt there was enough fish to give 8 days in September for non selective harvest in the ocean but could not justify any in river fishery. Anyone that has fished the slaw the last 3 years know the coho returns have been strong my numbers for the 60 days straight I spent on the slaw last season was 7-1 coho to chinook. It would take a lot of pressure off the kings had they simply given us a couple coho for the season. Hope everyone has a good summer I’m off to AK until September.
Excellent comments, safe travels and tight lines! see you in the fall.

hobster

Well said Ryan. Couldn’t agree with you more
Thanks again for the FL hookup buddy, be safe out there, see you in the fall.