Proper technique of using a Wooly Bugger?

S

spmpdr

I was out on the d this morning in terrebonne and was trying to use a wooly bugger but it just seemed to get hung up all the time. Could some one explain how to use one of these as well as the type of water they are best used in?

B

bigsteel

i fish all my streamers down at a 45 degree angle and let them swing across the current giving it small strips every few feet,,,or sometimes ill cast directly across and strip line like a mad man,,that produces a lot of big trout.

S

spmpdr

i fish all my streamers down at a 45 degree angle and let them swing across the current giving it small strips every few feet,,,or sometimes ill cast directly across and strip line like a mad man,,that produces a lot of big trout.

Does the wolly bugger need to be bouncing off the bottom? Thanks for the info as well. Also do you use split shot to sink it?

B

bigsteel

Does the wolly bugger need to be bouncing off the bottom? Thanks for the info as well. Also do you use split shot to sink it?

typically if i am fishing streamers i use a sink tip line but split shot would be fine,,get the bead head wooly buggers and youll be fine...no they dont have to bounce off the bottom,,you want them to have the action of a bait fish or minnow,,a nymph you want towards the bottom but not necisarily streamers.

S

spmpdr

also im going through tippet like a mad man , is that normal in fly fishing ? Every time you have to re rig you tie new knots, is there a way to use some mono to tie up multiple fly's at once

B

bigsteel

also im going through tippet like a mad man , is that normal in fly fishing ? Every time you have to re rig you tie new knots, is there a way to use some mono to tie up multiple fly's at once

you can use mono,,i prefer tippet cause its cheaper and less visable to fish,,,YESSSSSSSSS going throught tippet is normal,,,just tie on more tippet to your leader using a surgeons knot and youll be good to go...

H

halibuthitman

fyi.... if your gonna fish a bugger with an exposed weight bead or barbel eyes, use a sink tip, the use of shot above an exposed weight fly is boarderline flossing, and if you are fishing steelhead an officer can cite you depending on how he feels about it, I know everybody, a fly with eyes or bead the weight is built in so its legal.. call a lawyer if you want.. I use only buggers with unexposed lead wire weight with my shot setups, and sink tips with eyed or beaded streamers.. and don't overlook dead drifting buggers..if your hanging up too much you also can tie the buggers without weight.. this will help.

S

spmpdr

Thanks for all the info everyone, I went out to the crooked yesterday around 2pm and got a few casts in using the wooly bugger . I got a few hits but didn't land any fish. Man the wind was howling through that canyon around 3pm . Headed out there again today after my casting lesson. I think today i will try a dry fly setup and a double nymph set up. Can you buy untapered tippet? I will post some pics if i catch anything.

O

OnTheFly

Lake fishing with a Wooly Bugger requires a different approach. Let me know if you decide to try it.

Your leader is tied on to your butt section and usually tapered. The tippit is what is ultimately tied to your fly. The size of tippit mostly depends on the size fly you are using. For instance, a 4X (6lb) tippit would work for a #10 wooly bugger but a 5 or 6X would be requierd for lets say a #16 dry fly to make it drift or sit properly on the water. Your tippit is not tapered. It is simply the last section of your tapered leader.

B

bigsteel

fyi.... if your gonna fish a bugger with an exposed weight bead or barbel eyes, use a sink tip, the use of shot above an exposed weight fly is boarderline flossing, and if you are fishing steelhead an officer can cite you depending on how he feels about it, I know everybody, a fly with eyes or bead the weight is built in so its legal.. call a lawyer if you want.. I use only buggers with unexposed lead wire weight with my shot setups, and sink tips with eyed or beaded streamers.. and don't overlook dead drifting buggers..if your hanging up too much you also can tie the buggers without weight.. this will help.

what about all the guys who use a chunk of lead to dredge the bottom,,,if you taKE THE BEAD OFF THEN YOU CAN ADD EXTRA WEIGHT:think:

H

halibuthitman

what about all the guys who use a chunk of lead to dredge the bottom,,,if you taKE THE BEAD OFF THEN YOU CAN ADD EXTRA WEIGHT:think:
technicaly..... yes, 9 out of ten troopers wouldn't do or say anything... but if you get that 1... it can be called flossing,... the use of external weight forward of a visiably weighted fly or lure.. beads and bell eyes are tied in, so they should be considered part of the fly.. but sometimes they are not, thats why I use sinktips for trout fishing most of my streamers, but steelhead fishing sometimes really needs that extra shot weight. Its like a corki and yarn drift set-up, lead, leader, floating corki and nuetral yarn= legal, add a piece of splitshot directly against the corki.... your flossing, no matter how long your leader is or the distance between the forward shot and the eye.

B

bigsteel

technicaly..... yes, 9 out of ten troopers wouldn't do or say anything... but if you get that 1... it can be called flossing,... the use of external weight forward of a visiably weighted fly or lure.. beads and bell eyes are tied in, so they should be considered part of the fly.. but sometimes they are not, thats why I use sinktips for trout fishing most of my streamers, but steelhead fishing sometimes really needs that extra shot weight. Its like a corki and yarn drift set-up, lead, leader, floating corki and nuetral yarn= legal, add a piece of splitshot directly against the corki.... your flossing, no matter how long your leader is or the distance between the forward shot and the eye.

thanks for the clarifacation.