ProGlow Bait Cure VS. Amermans

E
EastCountyRookie
What do you think about the two of these? I have done great on both cures but lately Amermans has been the ticket.

O
osmosis
if you go 50% and 50% proglow and quickcure it is a decent cure.

amermans are guides. I truly believe they (guides, not necessarily these folks.) don't want you to catch fish on your own or up to your potential.
THEY HAVE NEVER SAID THAT- lets just be realistic.
if you were successful on your own why would you ever need a guide?

Last edited:
E
EastCountyRookie
amermans

amermans

The Amermans steelhead cure my buddy is sworn by. I have used it and no success, but the Amermans salmon cure is sweet.

F
FishSchooler
everything seems to be like, so appealing but none of it is good quality. The pro cure anise oil is like 5-10 bucks for a tiny jar, but it is regular anise oil and you can get from winco for like 3. Thats one of the reason why I dont know what to cure shrimp with.

Troutski
Troutski
Cures....

Cures....

FishSchooler said:
everything seems to be like, so appealing but none of it is good quality. The pro cure anise oil is like 5-10 bucks for a tiny jar, but it is regular anise oil and you can get from winco for like 3. Thats one of the reason why I dont know what to cure shrimp with.

Funny thing about cures.............the fish seem to like the shrimp fresh and still in the shell. I must admit I don't use any cure on my eggs or my shrimp, but then again I do spit on my lures ;). This type of stuff (cures) is what the retailers love, I believe the reason for cures is to resist spoilage of fresh bait.
I say just have enough fresh bait for the day and save your extra money for the important things in life -- Like OFF hats,gloves,shirts and stickers...:cool:

Chuck

A
ArcticAmoeba
The only cure that is even remotely fishy from Scotty, might be his Steelhead cure. But then again, you are talking about Trout... How easy is it to get a troot interested?! His Salmon cure just does not fish consistently enough for me to even give it a second chance. And, yes the eggs you fish on his boat have a half dozen, diferent chems than the cure you get in his can. How many springers did you put on the books this year with Scott's Salmon cure? Just curious, is all. I have never really heard of anyone truly liking his Salmon cures is all. For out of the can performance, I have found Last Supper is alright, not like a custom cure, but straight out the can, it can catch fish pretty well.

F
FishSchooler
Troutski said:

Funny thing about cures.............the fish seem to like the shrimp fresh and still in the shell. I must admit I don't use any cure on my eggs or my shrimp, but then again I do spit on my lures ;). This type of stuff (cures) is what the retailers love, I believe the reason for cures is to resist spoilage of fresh bait.
I say just have enough fresh bait for the day and save your extra money for the important things in life -- Like OFF hats,gloves,shirts and stickers...:cool:

Chuck

Would you fish regular costco bought eating shrimp raw and not "specialized" fishing prawns and shrimp? I dont know if farmed/frozen shrimp have the same qualities.

Troutski
Troutski
Yes.....

Yes.....

FishSchooler said:
Would you fish regular costco bought eating shrimp raw and not "specialized" fishing prawns and shrimp? I dont know if farmed/frozen shrimp have the same qualities.

Yes, I would rather use the fresh/frozen shrimp/prawns from your local store. The bonus of this is, you do catch fish with them; and after a days fishing you get to have fresh fish and prawns for dinner....not that often does one get to eat his bait.;) As you can tell I am not a big believer in cures, I understand the reasons for it; I just don't believe in it.

Chuck

F
FishSchooler
Troutski said:
Yes, I would rather use the fresh/frozen shrimp/prawns from your local store. The bonus of this is, you do catch fish with them; and after a days fishing you get to have fresh fish and prawns for dinner....not that often does one get to eat his bait.;) As you can tell I am not a big believer in cures, I understand the reasons for it; I just don't believe in it.

Chuck

Im starting to lean towards your style of fishing... :rolleyes: I guess a steelhead would eat a shrimp if it were right in front of it. Now all I need is somewhere to get good eggs... maybe dicks...

B
bigdog
By the sounds of what I'm reading here to stay in the trend of what is going on you should just try the chicken farm then you can frye them up with the fish and prawns

F
FishSchooler
bigdog said:
By the sounds of what I'm reading here to stay in the trend of what is going on you should just try the chicken farm then you can frye them up with the fish and prawns

Huh? I can't really understand what you are trying to say.

Troutski
Troutski
Sarcasm...

Sarcasm...

FishSchooler said:

I believe it was good natured sarcasm ;).

Chuck

B
bigdog
and you are very right

F
FishSchooler
That sounded kind of serious to me. duh duh duh:think:

S
Snagged
I have caught fish with Ammermans cure before but it almost always has something els in it as well. It's a good start but it can use some tweaking. I have caught both Salmon and steelhead on the cure.
I also have caught a lot of Coho and a few CHinook on the 50/50 cure mentioned above. I like cures because it gives me the oppurtunity play mad scientist in my garage.

Good luck.

K
Kodiak
eggs

eggs

I haven't filled my quota for ticking people off this week so here goes.... PRO Glow ranks right up there with Pautzke's...its almost that good:lol: The Amermans are good people, I have fished next to them on the river a lot (especially Scott) and most of what he does to juice up his eggs is scent..not that much different than what is in his cure, they are decent but not my favorite. I like T-N-T..its fishy as all get out, last super is a decent cure also. The absolute best out of the box cure ever will make its debut at the 2009 sportsmans expo in limited quanities at booth 368 along with the best herring cure on the face of the planet for sure.

Schooler-- the big difference between pro-cure's stuff and what you get in the store is the alcohol content. The best anise extract comes from the health food store and is booze free. Fish can smell the alc. and will lower your average for sure. Look for pure extract, then dilute it.

Last edited:
F
Fishydog
Troutski said:

Chuck

Oooo, Chuck do you have pix of this swag you could post?

S
SRO_Slayer
Can't stop fishing is this ok?

Can't stop fishing is this ok?

I like amerman's personally 4 a store bought but i tried a old recipe and love it! Don't get me wrong many days when amerman's sent me home with fish!:dance::dance:

S
SRO_Slayer
FishSchooler said:

Anyone or anything will catch coho. Not trying to be a ass! Maybe not the best determination 4 the egg cure!;)

L
luv2fish
AA and osmo are right...i really don't have much faith on guide's eggs...especially ammerman's...i guess he's been over rated....best eggs are the one's which you cure yourself...and not afraid of experimenting..