Productive first try at North Fork Reservoir

J
J4excellence
Dropped by the disabled angler platform after work. Other than a short exploratory visit earlier in the week, this was our first serious attempt at fishing here. I had heard that green was the color of choice for North Fork, so rigged up with a Lemon Lime poweregg and Pautzke's Chartreuse (which is really green) garlic dough bait headed for the bottom. On the first cast before the lead even sank, I got a hit and landed a nice 12 inch rainbow. We also tried Berkeley egg clusters in green, but no takers. Several people fishing around us were having great luck with pink powereggs, so we switched over to a combination of one pink poweregg with yellow garlic. This combination worked really well and inside about 90 minutes we left with two limits of nice trout. People around us were also having a great time as the bite was definitely on.

North Fork Reservoir Disabled Fishing Platform 05.31.2011.jpgNorth Fork Reservoir June 3rd, 2011.jpg

It is my impression that the trout planted here are somehow thicker than those I've caught recently at Commonwealth Lake, Hagg Lake, and Mt. Hood Pond. They are really nice fish.

Especially exciting, just as we were unhooking our last fish, our other pole started going crazy and we hooked an eleventh. My wife talked a young girl, perhaps 4 or 5 years old into taking over the pole. The little girl jumped right in and excitedly reeled away until the fish was brought up on the platform, to happily add it to her family's catch.

So we'll definitely be back to NF Reservoir. The weather was perfect and the fishing could not have been better. We even had time to throw a couple burgers on the grill before heading home. Nice start to a weekend.

S
SALTYFISH
Good report, Sounds like fun..

troutdude
troutdude
Agreed. Nice report. Glad you had a good time and got some keepers...and maybe helped get that little girl hooked on fishing!

B
beaverfan
Nice job, sounds like a great day on the water!

I
Ifishforfood
very nice, and well done!! trout fishing can really be fun, especially when their good thick ones!

S
skunk
Nice work, they have that dock set up real nice. I've been thinking throwing the toon out and trying it.

P
PdxMotoxer
awesome review and may i say thank you for adding pic's!!!

whiten 90mins huh?? that is inspiration and sounds worth the drive way out there.
(plus it's a beautiful drive once you leave clackamas area. (i grew up there and hate
seeing what were once fields we grew up riding dirtbikes now full of houses that are 6feet apart)

Those are some great looking fat fish also so my only question is.....
what time in diner?? lol

welp it's 630am and i'm out the door on the way to hagg (and running hour behind
but it's just me and pup so no real time i HAVE to be out just want to beat the heat)

Thanks for the great review and pic!!! :clap:

watch for bones and chew your food well. ;)

M
Merle
J4excellence,
Hi there, someone cut off your smiling face in that fish limit picture. I fish both Hagg and North Fork also. Last couple times up at Hagg I looked for you on the platform.

I watch the stocking reports which helps me decide which body of water to fish. I live in Aurora which is almost halfway between both lakes. Again I hope to meet up with you someday.

Good Fishin To Ya !!
Merle

T
Travis19
Fantastic, I have only ever fished off of the dock once (I am in a wheelchair too) I am usually turned off of it because the dock is always packed and I don't want it to be over crowded. I'll have to go by and fish it again. Great job by the way beautiful fish!