Prineville trip

T
tnffishman
My family went to Prineville Res. this week for the first time in a few years. I can tell that most of the people don't go there to fish. But we did ok catching a ton of little bass with worms, and I pulled out three smallies for the grill from under a dock with a little jig.
I was suprised at how much algae was in the lake, especially near the shores, it made it challenging to fish some spots.
I also caught three catfish, including one that hit a ford fender rig we were trolling:shock:. Prineville is a beautiful place, but I am glad to be back home where it's a little cooler weather.

I got pics of the nicer bass, a catfish, and a blue heron

Last edited by a moderator:
B
beaverfan
Awesome, sounds like you had a great time!

M
Moe
Nice!

L
lilsalmon
Nice pics....good job

T
TTFishon
Nice pics!!! Thanks for the report!

troutdude
troutdude
Tasty morsels for the grill, and a happy son & pop. What more can ya ask for? :D:D

C
cookshot
Nice! There is better fishing up toward where the Crooked river comes in. I was there the other day and saw about 8 pelicans, which is something I didn't even know were around here.

Z
Zebrix
Hey Tnffishman!!!! I think I might know you. Is your first name by any chance Taylor and last name Folley? lol if so, I'm Kyle East and congrats on that catch dude. We should go sometime.

T
tnffishman
Zebrix said:
Hey Tnffishman!!!! I think I might know you. Is your first name by any chance Taylor and last name Folley? lol if so, I'm Kyle East and congrats on that catch dude. We should go sometime.

NO NAMES ON THE NET!!! JK. LOL hey Kyle I have been fishing and working a ton lately. That would be cool to fish sometime man.

and it's Foley by the way ;)

Last edited:
T
tnffishman
cookshot said:
Nice! There is better fishing up toward where the Crooked river comes in. I was there the other day and saw about 8 pelicans, which is something I didn't even know were around here.

Pelicans??? wow. I think I saw you on the way in, blue pontoon? I thought I recognized it from one of ur posts. I was on a cliff and screamed to you if you had any luck then my dad came up and asked if you could use bait in the lake and I said "let's go why would you ask such a dumb question" to him he knows the regs.

T
TTFishon
How long of a drive is Prineville Res from Bend?

C
cookshot
Ha, yeah tnf, that was me. We had horrible luck that particular day, 3 small catfish and two tiny bass all day (8 or 9 hrs). Did you guys do any good?

C
cookshot
The quickest way from Bend takes you to the bottom of the res which can be good for trout in the early season, and it probably takes 45 minutes. But the side that is good right now is up the crooked river arm, and you need to go through Prineville to get there, I would imagine it takes upwards of an hour to get to that side from bend. I haven't made the drive, but those are probably pretty close ballparks.

C
cwsmith
cookshot said:

Those pelicans probably came off of Ochoco Reservoir - they spend a lot of time feeding on the shallow east side of it but that water is way down on that end. Good looking fish, the bass are definitely healthy there!

T
TTFishon
cookshot said:
The quickest way from Bend takes you to the bottom of the res which can be good for trout in the early season, and it probably takes 45 minutes. But the side that is good right now is up the crooked river arm, and you need to go through Prineville to get there, I would imagine it takes upwards of an hour to get to that side from bend. I haven't made the drive, but those are probably pretty close ballparks.

Sorry for the hijack, but is there camping there too?

T
Thuggin4Life
Crazy how that cat hit a trolling rig. Looks liek you had fun.

T
tnffishman
cookshot said:
Ha, yeah tnf, that was me. We had horrible luck that particular day, 3 small catfish and two tiny bass all day (8 or 9 hrs). Did you guys do any good?

nope nothin that first day, just one bass on. I had a feeling that was you lol

C
cookshot
I caught a catfish on a super roostertail a couple weeks ago on the bear creek arm too. Weird. Tnf, i did pretty good closer to dark last week on the unimproved road, I think it must be a time of day thing.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I grew up in Prineville and know the Crooked River back section very well. Congratulations on your luck!

TT, it takes a while to get to the back section from Bend. Think 40 minutes from the Bend to Prineville, then another 40 to get to the back section. The road from Prineville to the back res is REALLY windy, and yes there is a lot of camping. Pretty much anywhere you want to set up for about 2 miles deep a half mile wide until the road tightens up and it heads into the canyon type area. Of course you can keep camping into there but depending on the season you need a 4X to make the entire distance. The reservoir is about 9 miles long and assuming you have a sufficient truck you can drive form one end to the other I believe but I have never attempted it. Great water all through there, brings back memories advising about it!

C
cookshot
If you are talking about the unimproved road you can indeed drive from the highway to jasper point, I only know cause I did it last week. Graphite, you ever make it up this way to fish anymore? I've struck out twice in a row, I need a good guide!

haha Well I have a moderately healed previously broken elbow so it will be a minimum of five weeks (three down). I'll let you know haha