Pretty slow at St. Louis today

S
Shallowbay
Got out there about 10:00. Left about 4:00. Lot's of people fishing the stocked pond. Didn't see any fish caught. I got 2 bites off power eggs with trout scent. I moved over about a 1/2 hour later to the muddy pond. I think it was pond 6. Got the guy in the below pic about 5 minutes after I cast off a worm with garlic scent under a bobber. I think it was a crappie? I'm not sure though. He was pretty good sized. My other thought was bluegill, can anyone confirm for me? Not much else going on. I tried pond 1, 5, 6, & 7 throughout the day with everything I had with me, but no luck. Too bad, because it turned out to be an amazing day weather wise and the place is pretty clean for St. Louis, albeit a bit muddy here and there. Thanks!

-Shallowbay

B
Bass Ackwards
It's a crappie. I didn't know there were fish in the muddy pond

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice at least you didn't get skunked. Its a crappie but is that a white crappie? I have only caught a black crappie.

S
Shallowbay
I was thinking white based on the pics I found of crappies on the net. I haven't caught any crappie since I was a kid in N.C. Can't really tell from the pic, but he was pretty good sized. About the size of my hand. I thought it was some sort of bass when I first pulled him in until he fanned out his fins and I saw his tail. Really a beautiful fish. Put him back in. As far as fish in there ... last year there were a TONS of bluegills. You could throw your line in about 3 feet from the bank and catch them over and over. Not sure what else (besides a ticked off crappie) might be in there.

T
TXTransplant
So we went out to the ponds for the first time today. Good grief. Weeds galore and muddy. Is that normal out there? Lots of people and didn't see any catches.

Bounced to a few different ponds. Six I think was the one with lots of folks initially. Three was practically overgrown with weeds and slime - though thought that was to be the stocked one?

Took a bit to drive from McMinnville. Not bad. But not sure if we will run out there again if it is always that bad. (Have a four year old little girl still learning the fishing game, so need kid friendly.)

Any other ideas for kiddos? We hit Sheridan Saturday and were in willamina this morning. Skunked all around - though a local guy caught probably 10 of em just 15 feet away from us this morning at willamina. Said he had power bait, which is what we had, but we got zilch. Kind of wacky.

I wouldn't mind big ones here and there - am used to Montana stream fishing - but more than anything just want easy to catch or numbers for the kiddo. Mostly cnr for us anyway.

Thanks for any help.

S
Shallowbay
Believe it or not St. Louis actually looks better than it has in a while. Most of the times I've been there, the weeds are 4 ft high and there's garbage everywhere. I used to kill bluegill and the occasional trout there with nightcrawlers, however, not in about the last year.

Sheridan was a dissapointment after this last stocking. I was there last Wednesday when they stocked it. Pretty cool to watch. Looks like a fish cannon! Caught 3 that day off of eggs. Went back Friday and didn't even get a bite. I've always been skunked at Huddleston Pond in Willamina.

Cook Park in Tigard or Henry Hagg Lake in Forest Grove have good bank access. Hagg costs 5 bucks for a day pass. Canby Pond in Canby is strictly for the kids and people seem to do really well there.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

-Shallowbay

T
TXTransplant
Thanks. Kind of bummed about St Louis. Thought it would be really good for her. Hadn't heard of canby or the place in tigard. Was thinking of hagg next, though. Hopefully worth the five bucks.

M
Markcanby
You can take her out to St Louis in the summer an catch bluegill every cast. That was my daughters first fishing trip an she loved it at 4. Canby pond is pretty hot right now or it was I haven't had the kids down there for 3 weeks but Im sure its still good.