Pre storm steel

hobster
hobster
I was fortunate enough to get the day off today, and decided i would give it a go for the first time this year for winters. After seeing Rogers report at Lake creek the Slaw didn't look too promising, so i drove the extra half hour and headed north to another costal river (you know the one). I was amazed at the water conditions, not too high and green as could be. I hiked up river with my buddy Deaner (my dog :)) to avoid the crowds and only ran into a couple of other fisherman. I drifted corkies and threw a few spinners with no luck, hitting several promising looking areas. After about 3 hours i decided to bust out the 10.5 ft bobber rod and ran a pink worm through a nice looking slot. Still nothing, then i tied on a handmade jig next. Another angler showed up on the other side of the river and i thought i'd let him give it a shot at the slot. I was just about to leave then i thought what the hell one more cast, down slides the bobber and it was on. That awesome heart pounding blood pumping feeling i haven't felt since february when i hooked my last steelhead ( i hardly bothered last summer with the drought). So stoked, i missed that feeling so much! Nice chrome cookie cutter hen and a great fight. I was wading so as soon as i saw she was a hatchery i wore her down and tailed her, it took some time but was awesome! I've only fished this river 3 or 4 times and it's been 3 years, so it was extra satisfying since i'm not too farmiliar. My earliest winter ever, and a good day to be on the river cause they are gonna blow!! The pictures kinda suck, but....

T
troutmasta
I was on the same river. It was beautiful. Silver Audi...did you see me?

Anyhoot, I got a pretty little chromer myself-

Tight lines

troutdude
troutdude
Excellent! Enjoy your dinner.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
awesome and awesome....

T
TimberTodd
Nice catch!

hobster
hobster
troutmasta said:

Tight lines

Damn, bummed i missed you. I wanted to give you some crap about your football team :lol: Didn't really notice the cars, i was focused! Hope our paths cross soon.

L
LuckyFisher
I hit the same river today and no love for me. But boy was the river crazy packed for a Wednesday!!! I am hoping it was just because the other rivers around were not as fishable and not a preview of what it is going to be like the rest of the year.

O
OnTheDrop
troutmasta said:

Tight lines

Well done Hob...

Jeff, he wasn't that far North..
:)

O
OnTheDrop
LuckyFisher said:
I hit the same river today and no love for me. But boy was the river crazy packed for a Wednesday!!! I am hoping it was just because the other rivers around were not as fishable and not a preview of what it is going to be like the rest of the year.

Doubt it, that little rivers pressure is down right disgusting, unfortunately!

hobster
hobster
OnTheDrop said:
Doubt it, that little rivers pressure is down right disgusting, unfortunately!

Yeah, thats why i don't go there too much (Slaw ain't much better). Like i said though, do a little hiking and get away from the crowds, only a couple of other anglers within a couple hundred yards. It gets a lot worse Luckyfisher!

O
OnTheDrop
hobster said:
Yeah, thats why i don't go there too much (Slaw ain't much better). Like i said though, do a little hiking and get away from the crowds, only a couple of other anglers within a couple hundred yards. It gets a lot worse Luckyfisher!

I found low water in March my favorite time to hit it :)