Pray tell, where to catch fish for certain

K
kornphlake
My Father in law is coming to visit from Wyoming the last week of this month, the past couple years he's chartered a boat and taken myself and my brother in law fishing out of Depoe Bay, but this year he isn't able to take us out on the ocean. I'd like to take him Steelhead or Salmon fishing instead but I'm not sure where to go or what to use. I just started fishing the area and only for trout.

I'm in NE Portland and would like to stay somewhat close so we can fish after work, I'm thinking the Clackamas, Sandy or Mollala would be the best bets, or the Willamette but only as a last resort. My Father in Law is a big man, he has trouble getting around, so access to the river would be the most important, but we'd like to be able to catch some fish of course. What kind of setup should we use, spinners, baits, flies, what sizes and color, leader weight and length, etc.?

Unless someone has a boat to loan us, we'll be fishing from the bank.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
K
koboabe
Cross park, McIver, Dodge and Oxbow all have pretty easy bank access.

I have seen people catch fish out of these waters, but I have not caught anything myself.
If I was getting into more (any) fish I would give you advice on gear to use...:rolleyes:

B
bweb
I'd go to Oxbow or Dodge Park on the Sandy and throw number 4 and 5 Blue Fox spinners. I'd try the pink and green ones with silver blades. Good luck. Of course if fishing for steelhead and salmon were easy, there would be a lot more people doing it.

Last edited:
K
kornphlake
Thanks, I'll try out a couple of those spots. As far as tags go, obviously I'd need a harvest tag to angle for salmon or steelhead, all my out of state visitor would need is a 1-day license, but what about children under the age of 14, they don't need a license but I can't find anything in the regs about tags for children.

Are any of the parks suggested above less likely to have a lot of snags?

B
bweb
I believe both places will have snags here and there. If you're using a spinner and not losing gear every now and then (maybe 1-4 per hour), then you aren't catching fish either. The way I understand the regulations is if you're under 14, you don't need a fishing license, but you do need a tag for salmon, steelhead, sturgeon.

B
beaverfan
kornphlake said:
Thanks, I'll try out a couple of those spots. As far as tags go, obviously I'd need a harvest tag to angle for salmon or steelhead, all my out of state visitor would need is a 1-day license, but what about children under the age of 14, they don't need a license but I can't find anything in the regs about tags for children.

Are any of the parks suggested above less likely to have a lot of snags?

You will need to have your fishing license as well as having you combo tag. (salmon/steelhead/sturgeon/halibut) The out of stater's will need both too I believe and the children under 14 just need the combo tag. The harvest tag is pretty much what you use when you use all the spots up on your combo tag. It allows you to keep I think 10 additional hatchery salmon or steelhead.