:pray: Need advice on a new spinning reel

S
Slash
I Have a (Old school)Shimano 300Q spinning reels, and it took a **** on me yesterday while at dodge park.:( ~ Just a heads up -lots of fish rolling,~ But anyways i've been out of the loop for new gear for about 12 years and i'm looking for a spinning reel that is good quality,not expensive- and great for salmon/steelhead bank fishing. Is there any popular reel that people are using ? all the help would be appreciated :D

thx Chris

Troutski
Troutski
Shimano

Shimano

Shimano Stradic 3000 should fill the bill, expensive is a relative term... good luck on your quest.

Chuck

troutdude
troutdude
I like Pflueger reels. I also like Fin-Nor (made on the east coast). Nice reels for the $$.

W
waco
shimano SIENNA 2500 FD thats a good reel for the price!!! it havent let me down on any fish!!! and it cost about $25

I
imfishing
Shimano Saros 3000...Anti - Reverse is nice.

troutdude
troutdude
If you're going after Steel n' Salmon like you mentioned, you ought to give serious thought to a rear drag reel. Mitchell even made a series years ago, with rear drag PLUS a finger trigger drag break. You can find 'em on eBay.

troutdude
troutdude
waco said:
shimano SIENNA 2500 FD thats a good reel for the price!!! it havent let me down on any fish!!! and it cost about $25

Happy to hear that Sienna is a good reel. I recently bought a Lamiglas Series 1000 Kenai Special rod, with one of those reels, on craig's list for $30. Sounds like I'll get my money's worth!

troutdude
troutdude
If you go w/ front drag reel, you might want to look into an Abu Garcia Cardinal "Trophy Collection" reel. I have the 4000TC model, on my Lami Kenai Special. It's a smooth reel. It's new and haven't put it to the test just yet (got it on eBay). But, it should do no worse than the dozens of other Abu Garcia or Cardinal reels that I've used over the last 45 years.

M
michigan_transplant
I have a new Pfluger and caught a native nook on it on my first trip. Handled it like a champ!!! Talked to the guy at the Bi Mart in Albany. Super nice, he recommended it and said that it was a great reel and recommended it over spending more money, said it wasn't worth it to spend all that money on a reel.

T
TimberTodd
Hey MT,which model of Pfluger reel did you buy.
Todd

M
michigan_transplant
Trion GX7

T
TimberTodd
Thanks MT. I am also looking to replace an old spinning reel. I will take at look at one.
Todd