Powered cooler

P
PstMactear
I'm tired of dealing with ice to keep my food, drinks and fish cold!!! So I've been looking at coolers/freezers that plug in to use in my vehicle, boat and camper.

There are a lot of options, sizes, etc....please let me know if you have any experiences, suggestions or advice on what would be good.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Casting Call
Casting Call
Plug-in coolers/freezers will drain your battery within hours. Takes days to pre-cool to freezing water with salt (12 volt) to make ice in a container and you will still deal with the water thing and remembering to plug/unplug/charging batt. if needed so what's the difference? Go get some ice from a store/freezer. With your PERMISSION may I ask what is your I.Q. level? Tony

Last edited:
O
oraca
Freeze 1 or 2 milk jugs Theya will last a long time & when Theya split Theya are recyclable.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Guides, commercial fishermen, open markets and old salts use ice. It's super quick cooling, conforms to product and is sustainable. No physical recycling. If it isn't broke don't fix it. So, so little effort/ratio for convivence and health. Tony

P
pcstock
Casting Call said:
Plug-in coolers/freezers will drain your battery within hours. Takes days to pre-cool to freezing water with salt (12 volt) to make ice in a container and you will still deal with the water thing and remembering to plug/unplug/charging batt. if needed so what's the difference? Go get some ice from a store/freezer. With your PERMISSION may I ask what is your I.Q. level? Tony
Ummmmm. Not really. Good 12 volt refrigerators will run about 1 amp per hour in warm weather and 1/2 that when it is colder out. If you have a 60 amp hour battery you will get 30 amp hours out of it before lessening life of the battery.

I have a stock battery in my 4Runner and it runs my Dometic CFX2 55 for at least three days without starting it.

Hook it up to a good 100 amp hour deep cycle marine battery and you can run it for a week at least.

Keep in mind I am referring to quality fridges (not the cheap Costco style ones):
- Dometic
- ARB
- Engel
- National Luna'
- Snomaster
etc.....

My fridge gets to 38 degrees in about 30 minutes from room temp.

ARB makes an "Extreme" model that is Stainless Steel and would be ideal if it was out in the elements.

Last edited:
Reactions: Casting Call and Snopro
S
Snopro
Thanks for the educated opinion pcstock.

It would be nice for traveling. If the truck is running anyway, why not run a fridge off the 12v? Shouldn't effect mpg much.

Ice has it's place, so does a 12v refer.

Reactions: Casting Call
P
pcstock
I do run off the starting 12V battery. Doesn't affect MPG at all.
If going on a LONG trip, i bring a 100amp hour deep cycle in a minnkota battery box.

Casting Call
Casting Call
I guess Iam EL CHEAPO LOL Tony

Reactions: pcstock