Powder River!

EOBOY
EOBOY
Being from Eastern Oregon (EO) I've know about the Powder River for ever but wasn't sure of it's path to the Snake River. Today after googling it I saw it appeared to run through the Thief Valley Res. but couldn't find any thing about the Res. in the Synopsis. Does anyone know any thing about Thief River Res.?

Historically the Powder River was the Eastern Boundary of the Nez Perce. Vera Katz stole their sentinel Rock. She had to give it back a few year's ago.

Dana

S
SteelyDan's
Born and raised in the EO (Pendleton) but now in Southwest OR, never went there but my cousins used to go there a lot and fish and catch a lot of bows and some nice ones too. I've fished the Powder a few times when I was younger and caught some real nice bows above and below Phillips Lake. That's about all the light I can shed. I imagine there are some other fish in there as well probably similar to Phillips I would guess. Since it's not specifically in the synopsis it will just fall under the general regulations for lakes.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Steely:

I was raised in Hermiston Grad. in '67. Have a friend who lives in Pilot Rock and next spring we plan on spending some time over there on the Powder and Phillips and Thief. Pretty country over there.

Dana

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I found this article on Wikipedia, dated 2010, it may be of some help. BTW, I lived in Hermiston for five years as a youngster. I was blown away when I had an occasion to drive through what was, at the time I lived there in the early 1950's, a one stop sign town. It is huge by comparison!

BAKER CITY, Ore. — For the fifth time in seven years, anglers will have a chance to catch chinook salmon in the upper Powder River.
The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife on Thursday will start releasing several hundred spring chinook in the river just below Mason Dam.
Salmon once returned in the thousands to spawn in the Powder River and many of its tributaries, but that stopped when the Thief Valley Dam was built near North Powder in 1932.
Salmon returned to the river in 2004, when ODFW had a surplus of hatchery chinook gathered from a trap below Hells Canyon Dam.
The agency repeated the salmon releases in 2007, 2008 and 2009.

S
SteelyDan's
EOBOY said:
Steely:

I was raised in Hermiston Grad. in '67. Have a friend who lives in Pilot Rock and next spring we plan on spending some time over there on the Powder and Phillips and Thief. Pretty country over there.

Dana

Right on. My sister and some cousins live in PR and most of my family is from the Pendleton and PR area. Ask him if he knows the Beers family. And what's your friends name? PR is pretty small so i'm sure they know each other. heck I might even know.

EOBOY
EOBOY
SteelyDan's said:
Right on. My sister and some cousins live in PR and most of my family is from the Pendleton and PR area. Ask him if he knows the Beers family. And what's your friends name? PR is pretty small so i'm sure they know each other. heck I might even know.

Terry says he rents the Robrtson Place just a mile or so NW of PR. Cross the Creek and up the hill past the mill. It has a great view of the Blues from his front yard. He probable does know someone heck I probably know some of them:yikes:Looking forward to next summer for sure now.

Dana

EOBOY
EOBOY
Raincatcher said:
I found this article on Wikipedia, dated 2010, it may be of some help. BTW, I lived in Hermiston for five years as a youngster. I was blown away when I had an occasion to drive through what was, at the time I lived there in the early 1950's, a one stop sign town. It is huge by comparison

Barb thanks for the Whiky blurb very cool. And how small is our world Hermy? "Really"! My Mom passed a year ago and I swore I would never go back. I still have to My brother still lives there so reluctantly have too some times.

Dana

Snake River
Snake River
I live on the Powder River very good fishing throughout the summer months or smallmouth bass also in the spring we have channel catfish move on up in the river the mouth of the Powder River dumps into Brownlee which is very good for all the other panfish we had a real good year for crappie we are expecting a better season with bigger crappie and Brownlee this coming year this fall we were averaging 9 to 10 inch fish .

Snake River
Snake River
Raincatcher said:
I found this article on Wikipedia, dated 2010, it may be of some help. BTW, I lived in Hermiston for five years as a youngster. I was blown away when I had an occasion to drive through what was, at the time I lived there in the early 1950's, a one stop sign town. It is huge by comparison!

BAKER CITY, Ore. — For the fifth time in seven years, anglers will have a chance to catch chinook salmon in the upper Powder River.
The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife on Thursday will start releasing several hundred spring chinook in the river just below Mason Dam.
Salmon once returned in the thousands to spawn in the Powder River and many of its tributaries, but that stopped when the Thief Valley Dam was built near North Powder in 1932.
Salmon returned to the river in 2004, when ODFW had a surplus of hatchery chinook gathered from a trap below Hells Canyon Dam.
The agency repeated the salmon releases in 2007, 2008 and 2009.
well they are still raising watermelons in Hermiston.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Snake River said:
I live on the Powder River very good fishing throughout the summer months or smallmouth bass also in the spring we have channel catfish move on up in the river the mouth of the Powder River dumps into Brownlee which is very good for all the other panfish we had a real good year for crappie we are expecting a better season with bigger crappie and Brownlee this coming year this fall we were averaging 9 to 10 inch fish .

Snake River I would love to come over that way next spring. I'm a little to old to buy a Ranch in EO. My buddy and I hope we can spend next summer camping and fishing from the Snake down to Lake View, doing all the high country rivers. Love crappie fishing, that's what our Dad started us boy's out on at Cold Spring Res. in Hermiston.

EOBOY

Snake River
Snake River
stop any time and will have a cup of coffee and I'll definitely get you guys pointed in the right direction busy this afternoon making up some plastic baits. DSC_0080.JPG